Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 49 Mercury - James Dean - Rebel Without A Cause

Phildaupho

2v2HHV8CnximYT.jpg2v2HHV8gFximYT.jpg2v2HHV8JyximYT.jpg

I got this kit in a Secret Santa kit exchange. It was built as a near replica of the car the James Dean character drove in the 1955 movie Rebel Without A Cause. It was built directly from the box except for the center hood bead that I did by cutting a groove and embedding wire. The paint is Tamiya spray can black and the white walls were brush painted. I even watched the movie during the build process. It is a pretty nice kit with posable front wheels and an opening trunk. The first time I built this kit over a quarter of a century ago, I chopped the top. In the meantime the great Revell kit was released.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, larman said:

Nice job! Always liked that car.

14 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Nice.

14 hours ago, Ron W. said:

You nailed it !

7 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Real nice Merc!

Thanks guys. It was a surprisingly fun project.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:00 AM, espo said:

Great looking build and it definitely has the look of the car used in the movie. 

On 1/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, carrucha said:

Nice work replicating an iconic Mercury.

3 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Still one my favourite movie cars (even though it´s stock), its just beautiful ! Well done! 

Thanks guys - The actual car has been in the Reno car museum for a very long time but I am unsure of its history leading up to the movie in 1955 and before it went in the museum. It was at the Pebble Beach Concours a few years ago for the special Mercury class.

23 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Still one my favourite movie cars (even though it´s stock), its just beautiful ! Well done! 

I always thought the Mercurys of this era had more of the appearance of a modified car than many stock cars of the era, right off the showroom floor.

Agreed,  this is very nice. 

• 1 year later...