Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nascar kit recommendation please.

Jantrix

I've decided to do a Ken Block Hoonigan style build and it occurs to me that a stock car chassis might be a great starting point. 

So I need a kit recommendation for the most recent/modern kit - preferably using a Dodge engine as it will be a Mopar project. I checked out Model RoundUp but there were no Nascar Dodge kits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT - I just read that Mopar has not been in Nascar since 2012. The Intrepid kits seem to be the last made, and they are 1/24. ?

Edited by Jantrix

No kits of any modern-era Mopar NASCAR cars (2000-2012) were ever made in 1/25.

My understanding of the 1/24 Dodge NASCAR kits is that while the chassis is the same as the other makes, the engine is basically a Chevy small block with Dodge valve covers. I'm not sure many people would really notice that, but there it is. The intake looks like a typical aftermarket unit (generic), and at least the Chevy Small Block headers & heads have the same port spacing as a Mopar V8 would.

If you just need a chassis and engine, and you want to do a 1/25 build, you might get by more cheaply (but just as effectively) with a newer AMT Chevy stock car kit, and add the Mopar engine of choice in.

If it were me, I would use a Chevy chassis and see what I could do with a modern Hemi from Revell's Challenger SRT-8, but that's just me! :) 

56 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

If it were me, I would use a Chevy chassis and see what I could do with a modern Hemi from Revell's Challenger SRT-8, but that's just me! :) 

Thanks for the information. I think this is a very good suggestion, thanks. I will likely do this.

16 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I'm thinking more like the Mustang, before he went and added twin turbos. I just like the look and I'm picking an unusual kit to do it with. 

Image result for hoonigan mustang" Image result for fuzz duster model kit"

So if you are using the '80 Volare body and want a race car chassis and engine, the Petty Dart seems like it might work as a starting point...about the right size...

513+C4iVs4L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

9 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

So if you are using the '80 Volare body and want a race car chassis and engine, the Petty Dart seems like it might work as a starting point...about the right size...

True, but I was looking for modern racing suspension and ride height.

Of course, I could not worry about the suspension at all, and just lower the car and keep the slab chassis plate, and just make the engine, finish and stance as the focus points. And I'm really leaning that way. I've been trying to reduce the "crafting" portions of my builds so that I can get some models actually finished.

2 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Of course, I could not worry about the suspension at all, and just lower the car and keep the slab chassis plate, and just make the engine, finish and stance as the focus points. And I'm really leaning that way. I've been trying to reduce the "crafting" portions of my builds so that I can get some models actually finished.

For something modern, not sure... maybe something European or Japanese from Tamiya.   Modern NASCAR racing suspension still looks pretty old timey...

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

I'm thinking more like the Mustang, before he went and added twin turbos. I just like the look and I'm picking an unusual kit to do it with. 

Image result for hoonigan mustang" Image result for fuzz duster model kit"

A 1/25 AMT NASCAR chassis should fit under there quite nicely. Those kits go for cheap too. Then just add your 1/25 Mopar engine of choice. 

The rear suspension is solid axle w/ truck arms. But so are current NASCAR chassis, like Rob mentions. At the very least, you could use the AMT NASCAR front clip on your chassis of choice. 

Hope this helped. 

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

You're going to have to fiddle with the ride height on the modern revell 1/24 scale nascar chassis. Its way too high for one of those  hoonigan cars. In fact its way too high for the current cup cars.

38 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

You're going to have to fiddle with the ride height on the modern revell 1/24 scale nascar chassis. Its way too high for one of those  hoonigan cars. In fact its way too high for the current cup cars.

I'm sure your correct. Maybe one of the Revell Lemans Corvettes? 

Image result for revell corvette lemansracer model kit"

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

I'm sure your correct. Maybe one of the Revell Lemans Corvettes? 

Image result for revell corvette lemansracer model kit"

This could work. To me, the chassis would almost be too modern. Are you looking at building something that looks like it was reclaimed, or built new from the ground up?

I found some videos on YouTube of an old short track '68 Charger that was found. It was homebuilt by somebody who ended up never taking it racing. It was of dubious construction and competiveness, anyway. They got it running, gas-axed the fenders for tire clearance, sorted out some of the chassis, added just a few things to make it more drivable, and for the short term, made it into an "as-found" show cruiser. I thought it was cool to see. It certainly couldn't be restored or made into anything competitive, but at least they got it to live again.    

You could also find an older (90's-early 2000's) AMT NASCAR car kit to use as a basis...sometimes at model shows, they are SUPER cheap. They're 1/25, have a nice level of detail, and I think they will fit under that Fuzz Duster body pretty well.

There was a guy at the Philly NNL two years ago that was blowing out complete NASCAR kits for like $3-$5 each. I didn't pick up any of his AMT's, but I did pick up some early 2000's Revell-Monogram kits, including a few Days of Thunder cars.

The "Kit Car" Cushman Dusters that Round 2 put out awhile back still seem to be floating around inexpensively. I remember they were blown out at Ollie's for about $10 each last year. The chassis is a very accurate rendition of the Kit Car package, and remember that Chrysler designed that chassis to be used with Dart Swinger/ Duster, Volare/ Aspen or Challenger/Cuda body panels. I'm not a fan of the engine that comes in that kit, but the rest of it is pretty useful, and it seems to fit under the Volare body pretty well (I have tried this out- I have a stalled Volare Kit Car in my pile). If you have trouble finding one, I might be able to come up with one of these chassis set ups for you.     

The AMT NASCAR chassis might look a little nicer and more high tech, but the Kit Car chassis would have a story and a Mopar connection to it, if you're into that kind of thing. I guess it depends on what you're going for. You have a lot of good options.    

Lastly- the ride height. You definitely want to drop it into the weeds. The Kit Car/ Cushman chassis seems to hunker down pretty low, and the body that comes with it already has that look in the front fenders, with large flares to accommodate the front tires. It might be more work to do that with the NASCAR chassis.

At this rate, my thought would be to just start with one of the Petty/Cushman/Scamp Kit Cars, swap engines, change wheels, maybe add some mirrors & lights, and keep the kit body, whichever you prefer, but that's perhaps getting away from your original idea a bit.      

Edited by CapSat 6
bad space

21 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

You could also find an older (90's-early 2000's) AMT NASCAR car kit to use as a basis...sometimes at model shows, they are SUPER cheap. They're 1/25, have a nice level of detail, and I think they will fit under that Fuzz Duster body pretty well.

I think this is the direction I'm headed. Bill, thanks for kicking this around with me. Much appreciated.