Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell 1969 Dodge Charger R/T body wip pics.

wisco8

24 minutes ago, espo said:

The trim needed a lot of masking tape, but the finish looks like it was worth it. 

Thank you David, I had fun doing the masking job, it gave me something to do. I'm also glad that I sealed in all the trim in with TS-13, because I know from previous experience it would have rubbed off. I'm just happy to get a halfway decent finish overall. I'm going to get the engine detail set and the interior detail set to make it look a little more interesting. I see modelers here making all the custom parts and cutting up bodies etc.. and that really is awesome. I would like to make stuff like that too and I think this is the best place to learn that kind of thing. Thank you again David for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

Best regards, Steve

Edited by wisco8

Parts ready to be chromed. Base coat will be scale finishes black followed  by clear Tamiya TS-13 decanted and applied in light mist coats, followed by alclad2 chrome, and sealed in with Tamiya TS-13 applying light mist coats to seal it all in.

IMG_20200311_095038943.jpg

IMG_20200311_095128474.jpg

IMG_20200311_132204887.jpg

IMG_20200311_135801504.jpg

13 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Wow this is some great build.It looks like u can dive in and swim in the paint.Excellent job.Like to see this one finished.I was thinking of a set of dog dish hub caps,and a white top,but that’s just me.

Thank you Ron. I do have some nice wheels I will try on this one, I just have to find the box they are in. I do like the idea of the dog dish hub caps, I think they would look cool. This is a learning experience for me. I do mostly aircraft and wanted to take a brake form it for a while. Any suggestions would be of great help. I will need help doing the engine for sure, and I'm worried about all four tires meeting the surface...hopefully I will get it right.

Best regards, Steve

Awesome work on the re-chroming, Steve! Looks ??????
Just a tip, you may have trouble with the stance. IMO, having built several of these Revell Chargers, the front end sits too high. The spindles need a trim, about 1-1.5mm off, to get a better/lower front end stance ?? Can’t wait to this bad boy wrapped up ????
Cheers Cliff. 

1 hour ago, CJ1971 said:

Awesome work on the re-chroming, Steve! Looks ??????
Just a tip, you may have trouble with the stance. IMO, having built several of these Revell Chargers, the front end sits too high. The spindles need a trim, about 1-1.5mm off, to get a better/lower front end stance ?? Can’t wait to this bad boy wrapped up ????
Cheers Cliff. 

Thank you Cliff, and thank you for the heads up on the front wheel stance, I will do just that.  Right now I'm working on the engine. I cleaned up all the flash and smoothed out all the sprue connections, the hardest one so far was the small parting lines on the coil. Now all I have to do is find the Chrysler engine red. I have well over 3000 paints, it should only take about  20-30 minutes to find it and hopefully it isn't all rock hard.

Best regards, and stay safe from the corona virus. Steve

4 hours ago, espo said:

The spray chrome treatment looks great. I'm at that same point on the model I'm working on now and I'll have to try your mentioned method for the Bumpers and Grill. 

Thank you David, make sure you prime with Tamiya fine white primer first the scale finishes will not bite to the bare plastic. Then shoot your  scale-finishes black base followed by  Tamiya TS-13 decanted... thin it with Tamiya lacquer thinner and then spray light coats first ,wet sand 6000- 8000,  polish.... clean off the polish then shoot your Alclad2 chrome.... finish sealing it in with Tamiya TS-13. That is how I did it, you process may differ, please test this process first before you apply it.

Best regards, Steve

Engine work started. I don't know much about detailing engines but Ill give it a try. I'm going to search the forums to see what I can find. Engine painted Chrysler engine red, transmission is Alclad2 steel over Testors model master gloss white. It will take a few days for this stuff to dry. I wish I still had my dehydrator I gave it away  to make deer jerky, the dehydrator dries enamel quickly but it can ruin a car body easily if you let sit in there to long.

Steve

IMG_20200312_103545290.jpg

IMG_20200313_151953925.jpg

IMG_20200313_152034081.jpg

IMG_20200313_152101542.jpg

IMG_20200313_152139034.jpg

IMG_20200313_155722741.jpg

IMG_20200313_162712473.jpg

IMG_20200313_163618241.jpg

IMG_20200313_212147289.jpg

IMG_20200313_212352529.jpg

Edited by wisco8

21 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

This is a BEAUTIFUL build - really really impressive!  Can’t wait to see more!

Thank you Jim. This is a needed break from building aircraft models for the past 13 years. Here are a few more I hope I can get to build this year.

IMG_20200313_173113332.jpg

IMG_20200313_173153819.jpg