Model Cars Magazine Forum

Link-Belt HC-218 Truck Crane

This is going to be a real treat to watch and learn from, another great project on the way, you can always tell when models are going to look right, even at this stage it looks just right, looking forward to seeing this come together.

• 1 month later...

Have been totally tied up at the gun shop all summer with all that is going on........working harder than we ever have in these unprecedented times and uncharted waters.  Absolutely no time to do any building.   Teaching safety classes at night and falling asleep as soon as I get home.  Only good part is the addition of a new toy to the garage.....a 95 Corvette.   But no time to drive it!   Hoping soon to find time and energy to return to the bench.   

• 2 months later...

FINALLY found the time and energy to get back to work on this build. Roughed in the front and rear suspensions and all of the crossmembers. Also roughed in the engine mounts and the creeper transmission and mount. Got down to take some photos of the real one as well. My gun shop is going crazy right now, and added to deer season, available time to work on this is about non existent.  Add that to a nasty bout of builder’s block and its sure been a while! Hope to keep it going now. Need to figure out tandem front axle steering next  

19D28DDD-CAB8-4F41-B50E-AB8221DF80AB.jpeg

EC41D8C5-0205-418A-AE06-15BBA36D1110.jpeg

89F35619-02E0-495E-B2AE-E359E2C2E4CE.jpeg

07CF6A39-9407-4BED-9BD9-104F890FB7E7.jpeg

FA19917F-5B4A-466E-B288-AB531CFFCDDB.jpeg

B0648EC3-A1A2-4A92-A32C-3ED8B8B652DC.jpeg

858763EC-F038-4723-842D-D7041656F4BC.jpeg

B396F3E7-2E7A-40ED-A519-F5CA171F3FA9.jpeg

CB818B9C-7515-4A84-8D07-0873D9A1240C.jpeg

E393054C-B55C-4C06-8E4D-33D7F1C6C7A4.jpeg

122DAC8C-A8AF-49F4-9D4F-A107F7B2568B.jpeg

Edited by redneckrigger

Tandem steering should be easier than the steering on your last project. 4 tie rods: 90 degree wheel knuckle with tie rod left to right and then tie rod from front to back. You might get away with just three tie rods. The Revell Simba crash truck has tandem front steering.

greg

Hey, Tom can I make a suggestion:  Get either some aluminum or brass tubing, make two bearings for the walking beams and then slip the next size down tubing in as the connection between the two sides.  As you build, the weight is going to get more and more on the plastic rods you are using now and could in time deform or break.  I'm liking what I see for sure!

Tom,

I like what you've done thus far. You know how we talked about this build . I Think you will get your groove back .

And in the end you will have another very impressive model.

Be Well and Stay Safe

Marc

AKA Gator

On 12/17/2020 at 11:30 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

Hey, Tom can I make a suggestion:  Get either some aluminum or brass tubing, make two bearings for the walking beams and then slip the next size down tubing in as the connection between the two sides.  As you build, the weight is going to get more and more on the plastic rods you are using now and could in time deform or break.  I'm liking what I see for sure!

That’s a great idea Charlie..........will convert to metal axles and bushings shortly!!!!  Thanks!

Edited by redneckrigger

On 12/18/2020 at 3:44 AM, gatorincebu said:

Tom,

I like what you've done thus far. You know how we talked about this build . I Think you will get your groove back .

And in the end you will have another very impressive model.

Be Well and Stay Safe

Marc

AKA Gator

Yeah, feels great to be back at the bench!!!! Thanks Gator, you and yours be safe as well!

10 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

My fingers hurt just counting all those rivets !! Exceptional work detailing the frame rails , and cool trick w the compass face ..now the operator will always know which direction their facing lol

The rivets are actually very close to an actual REAL rivet........  .030” holes drilled through frame and crossmembers etc, then a piece of .030” Evergreen rod glued in and trimmed off.  Works well enough to satisfy my worst critic.....me!