Model Cars Magazine Forum

Preparation H

Jack Grice

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

I remember that car. I think everyone hated to race it. As a H/G car it almost got a half track head start, or so it seemed. I wonder how many drivers red lighted against it.

It was H/ Modified Production and ran in the 11's. It was a 300 truck six with 3 Weber carburetors and a 4 speed.

16 hours ago, Jack Grice said:

It was H/ Modified Production and ran in the 11's. It was a 300 truck six with 3 Weber carburetors and a 4 speed.

At least I got the H right. The point is still the same. Most cars in its eliminator were much higher up in the category. I've tried to find the records from the early 70's to find how much of a head start it often got. In many cases both cars would pre stage, the tree would count down for the Preperation H car (which ran on or below the record), and after the third bulb or later (full tree), the other lane would start counting down.

Beautiful build.  These "lower class" cars are too often overlooked, but they are truly the foundation of drag racing.  This build reminds me of another Ford 6-cylinder car, could be the same one.  Anyway the builder used three 351 heads on this engine.  He cut the front two cylinders off one head, the center two from another and the last two from yet another.  He used some form of pressure-brazing to join the pieces; supposedly it gave him much better horsepower.  Just a tidbit of useless trivia.

18 hours ago, iBorg said:

I've tried to find the records from the early 70's to find how much of a head start it often got.

If my old brain remembers correctly, it was 1 or 1/2 second per class differential.  Another factor, especially in the stock-type classes, was an automatic got a 1/2 second headstart over a manual in the same class.

• 11 months later...

That's a great build, Bruce Sizemore was looking for the 1:1 car a few years back. He was on a maverick/Comet owners board looking for it, stated the car was sold in the spring of 74 to an Elwood Robinson in Delaware. Don't know if ever found it or not.

• 5 weeks later...