Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1

Casey

Very interesting solution. They retooled the header panel attached to the front of the body to mimic the separate part in the original annual, so that the original grille surround (part 103) could be re-used. Clear lenses are a nice "first" for this issue too.  Any competent builder could make a nice 1971/2 out of what is here...super-detail is up to the builder. This issue is the best one yet when you figure in the wheels/tires/decals. 

On 12/20/2020 at 10:30 AM, Motor City said:

So if you got a resin hood without the incorrect cowl vent and sanded off the front fender sidemarker lights, it would be a decent kit?  

I like the sport wheels on the right better than the hubcaps and trim rings.

Well - decent if you do not mind it having either a 302 Windsor claiming to be a 1971 Boss 302 (of which Ford only made one prototype) which magically has become a 351 Cleveland in the 007 issue or a 428 FE engine (not available in 1971 or later) and an exhaust system without the oval mufflers , then yes it could be described as slightly better than the previous MPC (not AMT) kits this issue is based upon.  Even in the original MPC kit the sport stripes were incorrect (no surprise) but to this day I see them still replicated incorrectly.  All 71-72 Mach1’s had the lower side painted either black or silver (argent) whether they had the sport stripes or not and you will notice on the original MPC box art that is not the case so the decal goes further down onto the valance that it does on the real car.  This error is seen on the MPC “Boss 351” version also and even some of the aftermarket decal makers get it wrong too. The green Boss 351 (pictured in progress) has an aftermarket chrome front bumper is based upon an original AMT kit which is slightly better (less things to correct) but neither the AMT or MPC kits of any 71-73 Mustang ever had a correct engine and carb combo.  The small block resembles the workhorse 302 engine that from FORD would have come with single exhaust - the 4bbl 302 engine was not even available but customers could get the 351C with either a 2bbl with single exhaust or pay extra for a 4bbl with dual exhaust and probably a competition suspension (staggered rear shocks).  I guess all I can say is do not spend $100 for an original AMT or MPC kit as there are so few parts that are different to justify the price of an older kit.  I am not a fan of the 007 version being molded in red due to the difficulty in filling in the vents that were wrong from the very first issue in August 1970 (per the date on the back of the decal sheet).  Please note of many of my builds of these accuracy challenged 71-73 Mustang kits I swap parts from other kits and use aftermarket resin parts and decals so the finished model may look much better than what you see in the box. Happy modeling.

17B5DA14-B2FE-4C28-A61D-BBBAFBE8D684.jpeg

6C4444DA-9809-4802-A7E6-A571FBC82EB6.jpeg

69A18541-FA15-4D72-8012-16E2A437A2AE.jpeg

708309E1-2754-4FB5-8350-48FD6A37366D.jpeg

15104167-C908-4E9C-AD8E-D5C9434A7440.jpeg

E0ABA864-4FF0-4B02-BC89-75F754A632E4.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

39 minutes ago, Ron Warner said:

Very interesting solution. They retooled the header panel attached to the front of the body to mimic the separate part in the original annual, so that the original grille surround (part 103) could be re-used. Clear lenses are a nice "first" for this issue too.  Any competent builder could make a nice 1971/2 out of what is here...super-detail is up to the builder. This issue is the best one yet when you figure in the wheels/tires/decals. 

Yes there was some retooling but those hood vents drive me crazy.  I guess in 1970 in a rush to get kits made they assumed the 1971 would have them and have the same engines that the 1970 Mustangs had.  Fifty years later I think we know better.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Yes there was some retooling but those hood vents drive me crazy.  I guess in 1970 in a rush to get kits made they assumed the 1971 would have them and have the same engines that the 1970 Mustangs had.  Fifty years later I think we know better.

What do the correct hood vents look like?

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

I'd rather fill the vents than have the completely inaccurate shape of the NACA ducts on the AMT hood. Little putty is all you need.

26 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

There are none on the 1:1.  (cowl vents toward the back of the hood).  

You are correct sir.  I’m guessing the the model mold makers assumed that there would be “vents” like on the 65-70 Mustangs so either they got a bad drawing of a pre-production Mach1 from somewhere or they flipped a coin and got it wrong.  If they would have thought for a minute the vents were never in the hood of a Mustang but were in the cowl area between the hood and the windshield.  Since the “cowl” area is under the hood on the 71-73 Mustang someone just wasted time making the vents.  To make it worse, look at these 1/18 diecasts.  The blue green 69 Mach1 is correct showing what the vents looked like for 69-70 Mustangs.  One of the two yellow 1/18 1971’s has the vents and guess which one does - it’s made by Ertl which looks like they enlarged the MPC kit and incorrectly left in those vents in again ?  Autoart did not that mistake as I assume they looked at a real car and not a 50 year old plastic kit or the competitions diecasts.  Even the Japanese and Chinese that did a 1/28 kit and 1/43 diecasts could get the “no vents” right and the 1/43 ones have dual exhaust that is a lot closer to what it looks like on the real car (except for those wild headers) but I assume they were starting from scratch and perhaps did a little research or had some help.

834F2D8C-955F-4697-B640-C7A243360B3C.jpeg

B4B4BA61-66AD-45B9-A598-F552FF613A7D.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

44 minutes ago, Ron Warner said:

I'd rather fill the vents than have the completely inaccurate shape of the NACA ducts on the AMT hood. Little putty is all you need.

I’d rather not have to do both but such is the way it is after 50 years these things still bug us. ?

Here’s three versions I am glad did not make it to final production and the AMT and MPC hoods and my car (made Aug 1971) so it’s an early 1972.  Yes I would agree the MPC hood got the scoop area a little better than the AMT one.

A12B562D-EC36-47AC-AD7D-3F3CB0552FC0.jpeg

4969635A-7BD7-4836-9B5F-79E6AE0D6BA1.jpeg

13730404-0F8E-4DD9-AD86-7232FBCDD8CF.jpeg

5AC6BF7D-43DD-4258-BEA4-EA8E9283B76A.jpeg

C083C9DD-23A7-4B88-B441-2C2A924C6079.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

On 12/29/2020 at 2:43 PM, Ron Warner said:

What concerns me is that it's molded to the body.  It would have been better if it was separate IMHO.     

1 minute ago, the other Mike S. said:

What concerns me is that it's molded to the body.  It would have been better if it was separate IMHO.     

Separate would have facilitated doing a subsequent '73 version, but not sure there would be much demand for that.. 

23 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Separate would have facilitated doing a subsequent '73 version, but not sure there would be much demand for that.. 

I would bet a fair amount the new molded-in-place grille also provides increased stiffness and better alignment/registration, too. Entirely possible there was some damage or wear in that area, too, so Round2 did what they felt was best.

I saw a seller parting the kit out on eBay, and grabbed the image of the tires, which appear to be the re-tooled Goodyear Polyglas tires first(?) included in the '62 Pontiac Catalina Polyglas Gasser II kit?:

00771Musttires.jpg.b1015e1f6666c1225b9ee883fc4bac9b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

It would have allowed them to go back to a '73 in the future though.  Molding the '71-'72 style header/grill panel to the body forever eliminates making a '73 out of it.  Yeah, I know you can just cut it out and replace it as a skilled modeler, but I'm talking about from their perspective. 

With all of the trouble and expense they took to preserve the 2 door fastback '67 Impala tooling (and I'm guessing the split bumper Z28/RS, but I could be wrong on that one) when they converted it over to the Supernatural 4 dr sedan, this seems to be totally out of character for Round 2.   

It would have allowed them to go back to a '73 in the future though.  Molding the '71-'72 style header/grill panel to the body forever eliminates making a '73 out of it.  Yeah, I know you can just cut it out and replace it as a skilled modeler, but I'm talking about from their perspective. 

Don't forget they still have the AMT version, so while I have my doubts there is incredible demand for a '73 as Rob mentioned, perhaps they have future plans for that kit.

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

I would bet a fair amount the new molded-in-place grille also provides increased stiffness and better alignment/registration, too. Entirely possible there was some damage or wear in that area, too, so Round2 did what they felt was best.

I saw a seller parting the kit out on eBay, and grabbed the image of the tires, which appear to be the re-tooled Goodyear Polyglas tires first(?) included in the '62 Pontiac Catalina Polyglas Gasser II kit?:

00771Musttires.jpg.b1015e1f6666c1225b9ee883fc4bac9b.jpg

The new tires look great!

It might be the pic angle, but the grill/header panel looks a little too sunken in compared to the real car.  However, I will have to see one built up for final judgement.  The separate clear headlights I do like though.  That's one thing about this kit l never liked, the slightly too small headlights.

Edited by the other Mike S.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

They could have kept a solid panel in place and tooled up a separate grille and headlight buckets to fit onto it, but that would have increased parts count and cost.   

Edited by Rob Hall

That's one thing about this kit l never liked, the slightly too small headlights.

That's an issue with almost all MPC kits, so I was glad to see Round2 address that, too.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Don't forget they still have the AMT version, so while I have my doubts there is incredible demand for a '73 as Rob mentioned, perhaps they have future plans for that kit.

That kit is race only, though, so of limited use...

Just now, Rob Hall said:

They could have kept the solid panel in place tooled up a separate grille and headlight buckets to fit onto it, but that would have increased parts count and cost.

True. I just look at those long projecting fenders on the old body without any support between them and can't help think warpage and stress was an issue.

Just now, Casey said:

True. I just look at those long projecting fenders on the old body without any support between them and can't help think warpage and stress was an issue.

Exactly...too many other kits have that problem... or worse, ones with no front support or cowl piece... open from the top of the windshield forward is a recipe for warpey...

6 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I have seen the HPI guy review of this kit. It still shows the round glasspak mufflers from the 1966 MPC Mustang kit. The 1969 Cougar Eliminator has flat mufflers that are more correct.

Yes - we pretty much expected that all along.