Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1

Casey

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Those owning other/previous issues of the MPC '71+ Mustangs might be able to tell if the parts shown in silhouette are in fact different than anything previously included.

I know very little about this generation of Mustangs, but I'm guessing the Mach1 has a factory painted/elastomeric coated front bumper, and not a chrome plated front bumper? At first I expected to see something different among he chrome parts, but it makes sense the new parts are elsewhere if there's no need for the part to be chromed....same for a '71 Boss 351, right?

Yes/no. Boss 351s had the chromed bumper

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

Those owning other/previous issues of the MPC '71+ Mustangs might be able to tell if the parts shown in silhouette are in fact different than anything previously included.

I know very little about this generation of Mustangs, but I'm guessing the Mach1 has a factory painted/elastomeric coated front bumper, and not a chrome plated front bumper? At first I expected to see something different among he chrome parts, but it makes sense the new parts are elsewhere if there's no need for the part to be chromed....same for a '71 Boss 351, right?

The Mach 1 came with a color-keyed front bumper with integrated spoiler.  The other versions had a chrome bumper.

12 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The Mach 1 came with a color-keyed front bumper with integrated spoiler.  The other versions had a chrome bumper.

Pretty much correct.  The 72 sprints and the springtime models had the “sportlamps” and “rubber” color-keyed front bumper.  Of course all the 73’s had front bumpers the same color as the body color.  Not sure if all the springtime editions were coupes.

77CDC4EA-3AC6-47AF-A242-BB2842BDBE48.jpeg

23 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Pretty much correct.  The 72 sprints and the springtime models had the “sportlamps” and “rubber” color-keyed front bumper.  Of course all the 73’s had front bumpers the same color as the body color.  Not sure if all the springtime editions were coupes.

77CDC4EA-3AC6-47AF-A242-BB2842BDBE48.jpeg

I believe Casey was asking about the '71 Mustang because of the revised kit.  I saw a lot of those Sprints (white with blue stripes) around Dearborn when they were new.   I wonder what she looks like now?

Rex, how did you become so obsessed with the '71-'73 model?  

Edited by Motor City

9 minutes ago, Motor City said:

I believe Casey was asking about the '71 Mustang because of the revised kit. 

I was thinking out load that a '71 Boss 351 version might be forthcoming with the the work done to improve things up front, but maybe not. Of course, they could release a a '71 Boss 351 without a factory correct style chrome plated front bumper, and the later style front bumper would still be included (I think, assuming the existing bumpers would remain).

1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-front.jpg

34 minutes ago, Motor City said:

I believe Casey was asking about the '71 Mustang because of the revised kit.  I saw a lot of those Sprints (white with blue stripes) around Dearborn when they were new.   I wonder what she looks like now?

Rex, how did you become so obsessed with the '71-'73 model?  

I guess you have to go back to 1976 when I bought a used 72 Mach1.  The another one in 1981.  Then a 72 sprint convertible in 1985 and a 73 convertible in the last 90’s and another 72 Spring convertible about 15 years ago.  So that pretty much says why although I have owned a 85 convertible, 2004 Mach1, 2003 Cobra, and 2014 convertible (All Mustangs of course).  Unlike some who think the 71-73 is too large, to me it was more affordable than 69-70’s and eventually the aftermarket started making upgraded seats, etc.  On the same vein I have seen the 2021 Mach1 and the styling just isn’t my cup of tea but perhaps Ford will get some feedback and add more retro touches and appeal to people old enough to remember the 69-73’s.  I added the rear spoiler on the 72 Mach1 after I built that Japanese kit about 20 years ago so it’s due for one to match it’s big brother.

0F0F2930-C021-4921-9A6D-21CF84C1D335.jpeg

C2F0BF37-D2F2-49E4-A7EE-D83F09D0612B.jpeg

C8122910-731E-4F0E-AC8C-DC5242B26921.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

I was thinking out load that a '71 Boss 351 version might be forthcoming with the the work done to improve things up front, but maybe not. Of course, they could release a a '71 Boss 351 without a factory correct style chrome plated front bumper, and the later style front bumper would still be included (I think, assuming the existing bumpers would remain).

1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-front.jpg

But we still need a REAL looking  Boss 351 engine and not a 302 or a 428 from old 60’s MPC kits.  And the ram air system and dual oval mufflers etc etc. that are NOT in either the MPC or AMT kits and I doubt ever will be.  Hopefully Revell will cover all that and then some.

I like the 1971-1973 Mustang . My only complaint --not alone in this-- is that visibility is virtually non-existent out of the backlight of the Sportroof model .

A friend of mine had a '72 Mach 1 with the 351-C / FMX / 3.50 gear . It would really get-on ! It was quicker slightly than my '70 Ranchero GT (also with the 351-C / FMX / 3.50 gear , but it was a 2 Bbl engine ) , but that's likely due to :

1.) I had to "grannie" my Rancho off-the-line due to traction 'issues'  ( usually I'd start-off in 2nd ; then down to 1st once I knew the tyres would bite ; then back-through the gears in rapid succession )

2.) The Mustang had a 4 barrel (pretty certain is was an Autolite , but I don't remember exactly ) 

That Mach 1 was a lot of fun , in spite of its tendency to overheat ( which we remedied via a correct thermostat [ no t-stat at first -- a typical move ] and the correct-pressure rad cap [ had a 7 lb. cap ! No flow ! ] )

20 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I guess you have to go back to 1976 when I bought a used 72 Mach1.  The another one in 1981.  Then a 72 sprint convertible in 1985 and a 73 convertible in the last 90’s and another 72 Spring convertible about 15 years ago.  So that pretty much says why although I have owned a 85 convertible, 2004 Mach1, 2003 Cobra, and 2014 convertible (All Mustangs of course).  Unlike some who think the 71-73 is too large, to me it was more affordable than 69-70’s and eventually the aftermarket started making upgraded seats, etc.  On the same vein I have seen the 2021 Mach1 and the styling just isn’t my cup of tea but perhaps Ford will get some feedback and add more retro touches and appeal to people old enough to remember the 69-73’s.  I added the rear spoiler on the 72 Mach1 after I built that Japanese kit about 20 years ago so it’s due for one to match it’s big brother.

0F0F2930-C021-4921-9A6D-21CF84C1D335.jpeg

C8122910-731E-4F0E-AC8C-DC5242B26921.jpeg

Rex,

I really like these cars.  My high school biology teacher had a yellow '70 Torino GT, then a lime '71 Mach 1.  He sold new cars after school!  My brother-in-law had a medium blue '72 Sportsroof.   As John said, you can't see out of the back of those, but they sure look cool!   Hopefully Round2 will have some pleasant surprises with this release.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:59 PM, Casey said:

I have the original 1971 and 1972 MPC Mustang kits. Unfortunately, they are packed away. These sillhouettes are fuzzy but appear a little thinner bumper wise. The missing-Link gille bumper sets will do the trick. I hope Round2 includes correct decals and muffllers as well

Looks like the kits have hit the market.  There’s one listed on Ebay by a seller in California.  Am I going to spend $40 with tax and shipping for one?  No.  I’ll wait until the HL get’s them and use a coupon.  Despite living in an area with millions of people with 20 miles of my house the local hobby shops have all but disappeared.  The decals for the trunk look promising but the rest is too blurry to make out.

6B1BF3A0-38F6-4494-8A1D-2A0CEFD3198F.jpeg

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

I’ll wait until the HL get’s them and use a coupon.  *snip* the local hobby shops have all but disappeared.

The irony...?

At any rate, they'll be available on eBay for less than the first seller, be patient. That seller is banking on the impatient folks.

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

The irony...?

At any rate, they'll be available on eBay for less than the first seller, be patient. That seller is banking on the impatient folks.

At least there’s someplace to get supplies as Michael’s is pretty worthless.  Even the large retailers can bite the dust - the old ToysRus was closed a few years ago and had not sold models in years (just diecast) and a HL opened up in the same location right when COVID started.  Most of the hobby shops closed up decades ago because the owners got older, rents went up, online competition and less customers (overall) as kids want to build something in an hour, not days or weeks of months.  I’m sure a lot of us have price tags on models were bought 30 years ago from the Hobby shops that were around then.

Even when those so-called mom and pop hobby shops were around, I usually didn't buy anything from them due to their extreme price mark up on models kits.  There were only about 2, in the whole area, that had competitive prices.  Most of the time, I went to Kmart, WoolWorths, Kaybee, and a few other big box stores to buy my kits.  Their prices were much more reasonable and affordable.

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Kieth Marks made the Europa decals maybe 15 years ago IIRC.

Email him at Mofobow@hotmail.com for pricing.  All of Keith’s decals are on his Fotki page.  Rays kits has them too and is starting to list some decals for sale on Ebay.

EB804AD2-74FE-4309-9302-950C7C25627F.jpeg

639275ED-F22F-4DB5-A3E6-23A90B72BF3E.jpeg

Here's a larger, clearer image of the box bottom, and there is definitely a new front bumper and lower valence panel, as well as a re-tooled(?) piece (see lower right arrow below) grouped with the hood and console(?). Not sure if this is a radiator support panel or the grille piece, but it's definitely hollow/empty in the middle compared to what's included with the MPC '73 that was reissued a few years ago:

007must_LI.jpg.3d5fdfea3fedff8c40e0ccb0ff25ced8.jpg

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Here's a larger, clearer image of the box bottom, and there is definitely a new front bumper and lower valence panel, as well as a re-tooled(?) piece (see lower right arrow below) grouped with the hood and console(?). Not sure if this is a radiator support panel or the grille piece, but it's definitely hollow/empty in the middle compared to what's included with the MPC '73 that was reissued a few years ago:

Interesting...mine is supposed to be here today, will take pics of the new parts if it comes.

Edit: delayed in the mail.  Maybe it will come Saturday? 

Edited by Rob Hall

12 hours ago, Casey said:

007must_LI.jpg.3d5fdfea3fedff8c40e0ccb0ff25ced8.jpg

I think item on the rh looks like it could be the headlamp surrounds and a upper and lower hood/grille moulding all in one?

0E64C343-0EB2-4BCE-85E3-85D73EA30E48.png

27 minutes ago, br67 said:

I think item on the rh looks like it could be the headlamp surrounds and a upper and lower hood/grille moulding all in one?

That could be. I'm not familiar at all with these kits, and only basing my guesses upon the parts layouts of previous issues and this new one.

It appears there are new separate clear headlight and parking light lenses, too. Looking back at the '73's parts layout, I don't see separate headlight lenses, and MPC kits were notorious for having molded in headlights.

Hopefully Rob or someone else is able to share the contents and we can all see what is, in fact, new and/or different.

1 hour ago, br67 said:

Checked the previous issue—the part by the lower right arrow is the radiator.   The tree at the upper left arrow is different, the roll cage bars are there in the previous issue.  In Casey’s pic of the box bottom, that appears to be a new body color front bumper and separate pan (by the upper yellow arrow). I don’t see the large ‘73 one piece bumper/pan on the previous issue.  

another difference is the previous issue had chrome headlight lenses molded into the surrounds/doors, and those appear missing on the chrome tree on the box bottom Casey posted above.   

Pics below from the last issue.  Maybe new kit will come today (Saturday).   Tracking says delayed.

C1CB4649-2CAD-4A0E-87A8-1775065CBA9B.jpeg

872D4391-0993-451F-8C3B-92B0CDFC43DD.jpeg

Edited by Rob Hall