Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1971 Mustang Mach 1

Casey

I pretty much see it a blank canvas to build something unusual.  Having said that not sure when will see the Revell Boss 351 kit and it make take years to see any variations released.  If someone did decals for this 73 that raced at SPA it would be a cool build.

CEEE1FD2-B324-45DC-A0D8-ADE43D26238D.jpeg

On 10/19/2020 at 10:17 PM, vamach1 said:

If this Is this picture of the kits that is be “rereleased” then it looks like it will have the incorrect front bumper (the larger 1973 style) versus the correct smaller 71-72 Mach1 and Sprint bumper.  All I can say is it’s not a surprise.  We will see how they do with the decal sheet and if the Mach1 decal and black stripe across the trunk is correct.  This website says the models will be shipping tomorrow.  Perhaps soon HL will get them soon and they will show up on auctions sites by Halloween. 

0871FAC7-0974-4ECB-B320-319251D6D07F.jpeg

C7DB337F-B04D-4BC3-8375-C8F3005C9FF4.png

D362F3BD-ED59-464F-A64E-0FADEC5510A5.jpeg

Can you please write name of the shop/website to buy this model?

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

It will be available at the usual websites, Tower hobbies, ebay, Amazon most likely. If you have a local shop they can order it for you as well.

I found the Pre-order pictures on monstersinmotion.com.   They must sell a lot of the old Aurora sci-fi kits too but I was surprised that is where the search engine too me to find the kit. ?

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 12:59 PM, Jack Grice said:

The owner of that must not be too fussy. It's missing the center cap on the LF wheel. ?

True.  This release is based on the MPC kit with I assume a modified grille and perhaps front bumper.

D79374D6-AE44-49EA-9A37-9AB85A332AC2.jpeg

26C198F8-D0C1-4F4E-9225-0CA2408E04E2.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

45 minutes ago, alexis said:

What wheels, exactly, ARE in this kit? The box bottom photo is too blurry to tell.

They should be the steel wheels with trim rings and hub caps, like below. Very little of the (black) steel wheel is visible once the trim ring and hub cap are mounted, so I'm assuming Round2 simply created a one piece wheel assembly, with engraved detail, then chrome plated the wheels.

bondmustang.jpg.5c7239ad2a241b9e97772cff1de0c510.jpg

172950693.jpg.0e2bcfd03d477ca0bc95e896b984adcc.jpg

Interestingly, they came in both 14" and 15" sizes:

14inchmust.jpg.aa95cb5df2dbbcb72384ab657a3acbf7.jpg

The 15" wheel below shows where the black wheel areas (or maybe just a shadow, hard to say) peeks through between the trim ring and hub cap:

15inchmust.jpg.7da65272d3260f8bd744667232d268d6.jpg

Info sources: http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/wheels.htm

http://www.mustangandfords.com/features/1902-most-original-1971-boss-351-in-the-world

On 11/28/2020 at 11:58 AM, vamach1 said:

True.  This release is based on the MPC kit with I assume a modified grille and perhaps front bumper.

D79374D6-AE44-49EA-9A37-9AB85A332AC2.jpeg

26C198F8-D0C1-4F4E-9225-0CA2408E04E2.jpeg

In the box bottom image, I don't see any newly created, semi-stand alone parts, which is kind of what I was expecting after reading "ALL NEW 1971 front end parts, NEW chrome wheels". I wasn't expecting much, but perhaps in this case, "new" means new to this kit or this release, rather than created from scratch/totally new. I would expect to see the old dog dish/thick trim ring equipped wheels from previous releases (not sure if those were MPC or AMT), rather than all-new wheels.

While I understand the disappointment, I don't blame Round2 for not investing too much money in updating this kit. Essentially, they have two imperfect '71-'73 Mustang kits, and there's likely no ideal outcome involving both. They probably picked the "better" one, decided how far they were willing to go, and are getting it out ahead of the forthcoming Revell kit, to capture as many sales as possible before there is on-shelf, direct competition.

At least there are 2.5 (sorry, that Palmer/Lindberg on counts for half) kits, and soon to be a third, kits to kitbash together. ?

On 10/20/2020 at 7:19 PM, vamach1 said:

not sure when will see the Revell Boss 351 kit 

I guess we'll have to wait and see if and when that happens. Maybe the desire to release a '71 Boss 351 was the impetus for Round2 updating a few areas.

4 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

Without a small bumper, it's not a 1971.

Not aimed at your comment directly, but I have yet to see a Round2-certified image of this revised kit, and in particular, of the front end area which was reportedly freshened. I don't think any of the images which are circulating are of the actual updated model, so I'm not ready to write off the updates until I see them in the flesh. Now, if the front bumper ends up being the larger, later style, bring on the boos.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Not aimed at your comment directly, but I have yet to see a Round2-certified image of this revised kit, and in particular, of the front end area which was reportedly freshened. I don't think any of the images which are circulating are of the actual updated model, so I'm not ready to write off the updates until I see them in the flesh. Now, if the front bumper ends up being the larger, later style, bring on the boos.

As the saying goes....the proof of the pudding is in the eating' ;)

14 hours ago, Sledsel said:

IMO, the AMT body is much better than the MPC. Here is a pic of the front of the original AMT 71. The main body is the same as the AMT 73 (Tope car)

IMG_20201209_033802[1].jpg

The Tope racer eliminated the exhaust , stock interior and stock body items like emblems, side marker lights and completely stock grille.

21 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

The Tope racer eliminated the exhaust , stock interior and stock body items like emblems, side marker lights and completely stock grille.

Yes, that is correct, but the body shape remains unchanged. The blank interior is the downfall of the AMT kit

On 11/28/2020 at 11:58 AM, vamach1 said:

Compared to the previous MPC '73 Mustang reissue from a few years ago, there are definitely some different parts, which I circled in yellow.  The existing parts appeared to be a pieces of the roll cage, but it looks like a "new" front bumper, a valence panel maybe a rear pedestal spoiler?) and two other parts:

AMT71Mach1_LI.jpg.cdcc5710d1b4f1b323cae087d26eebea.jpg

MPC '73 Mustang reissue:

mpc73.jpg.b5de4ab8cb3ea9334e36270fc6b018a7.jpg

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Compared to the previous MPC '73 Mustang reissue from a few years ago, there are definitely some different parts, which I circled in yellow.  The existing parts appeared to be a pieces of the roll cage, but it looks like a "new" front bumper, a valence panel maybe a rear pedestal spoiler?) and two other parts:

AMT71Mach1_LI.jpg.cdcc5710d1b4f1b323cae087d26eebea.jpg

MPC '73 Mustang reissue:

mpc73.jpg.b5de4ab8cb3ea9334e36270fc6b018a7.jpg

Wow... I guess we can return to hope again that it might include the correct smaller '71 style front bumper.  I can't wait.

2 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

Wow... I guess we can return to hope again that it might include the correct smaller '71 style front bumper.  I can't wait.

Good eyes.  I guess I will be adding a few more to my grille and bumper supply.  On most builds I will end up using the grilles and bumpers from Kevin Lutz.

1C034601-B8DE-457F-8DA2-973F8532B114.jpeg

2 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

Those owning other/previous issues of the MPC '71+ Mustangs might be able to tell if the parts shown in silhouette are in fact different than anything previously included.

I know very little about this generation of Mustangs, but I'm guessing the Mach1 has a factory painted/elastomeric coated front bumper, and not a chrome plated front bumper? At first I expected to see something different among he chrome parts, but it makes sense the new parts are elsewhere if there's no need for the part to be chromed....same for a '71 Boss 351, right?