Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24th scale Jaguar E-Type FHC: Test Shots

Builder Depe Biedl posted these pictures of a test shot of the all-new Jaguar E-Type FHC coming out from Revell and oh boy I cannot wait to get my hands on one to build and a few to put on my shop's shelves. This is a seriously needed kit and it looks the part. 

No photo description available.

Image may contain: car

That looks pretty good, though I'm glad I've got potential replacement wire wheels if needed when these appear in non test shot form. Shame he's missing the one essential diagnostic photo -- a dead on side profile. The slope and height of the windscreen are make or breaks for the E-Type silhouette...

best,

M.

Group 44 ran S3 V12's, Dave, this is a S1, pre 65 tombstone seat car. Cunningham ran one briefly as well as a LTW. Heller kit has decals. Mostly privateers. LTW obviated need for running normal E after 63.

That car looks great. Roof looks nice, chrome windshield frame will pull forward edge out and down a bit. Rear roof looks great, the S1 pre-65 didn't have 2+2. 

Rear wheelwell behind tire looks great. Gunze made it too flat. Wires tolerable with detailing.

Radiator opening may be a tiny bit narrow, but a but hard to tell, and ez fix. Engine looks great. Lose the sebring mirrors and the awful antenna in middle of one of the prettiest rooflines ever :(

Real car had seams on fender as represented. They dod awesome job on the hood as it sweeps down around headlights, bulge. Hardest part to capture. 

Could build early welded louver external hood latch car easily. 

Here's grille opening, really pretty close. Better with chrome/contrast. Nice work GRev.

1967-Jaguar-E-type-Series-1-4-2-Open-Two-Seater-12-6502.jpeg

Edited by keyser
cunningham

4 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

I agree, the engineering looks great. Bit of a pity they didn't include a "proper" RHD dash as well... it is THE iconic British car after all...

best,

M.

8th picture down, it appears they've included an RHD dash. Is there something glaringly inaccurate about it?

26 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

8th picture down, it appears they've included an RHD dash. Is there something glaringly inaccurate about it?

Doh, you're right. I didn't notice it 'cos the angle makes it such a different shape from the LHD in the picture!

best,

M.

As always brudda :) The rear windows pop out, so the frame sticks out a bit. RFC, some paint would help on frame. The area between window and fender dose seem to narrow a bit, so will need hands on to tell. 

Reference link for you. Caution that this is early 61 flat-floor welded hood louver external bonnet release car. LOL. Say that fast 3 times. But has nice shots of giblets. 

Pic of external bonnet latches, and welded louvers so subtle as to miss.

http://classicjaguar.com/cj/885013.html

41618ba12.jpgIMG_0118.JPG

Last photo for Chuck to squint at :D

41618ba4.jpg

Edited by keyser

I like what I'm seeing! Of course, I can't help it but I do see a couple gaffes that need addressing. While the side profile looks good, to my eyes the windshield seems a bit "low".

untitled.png.edc78fe28092820a82f524591447a515.png

Here's a 1:1.......a '69 model I believe.

1379101284_1969-Jaguar-E-Type-ImportClassics--Car-100843983-d5504031363a3d9461b7c2f2eed1e263.jpg.8d8d898b81a52ed3d7e9da15c3680c47.jpg

I understand why Revell did this, but I'd absolutely have to thin down those A pillars. A bit too thick to my sight and takes away a bit from that lovely sweeping roofline. Granted these are test shots and of course, things may change by the time it gets to the hobby shelves.

Either which way, this looks like a must get for me.....one can't have too may Jag kits! :D

4 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Isn't the DLO lower supposed to be a dead-straight line?  Looks like it kinks up over the haunches at the rear window in the test shot.

Not such a hard fix and I'll be getting mine.  Still 'n all...

I had to look twice and yeah, should be straight across. Not a hard fix at all.

That windshield height though.............. :unsure:

28 minutes ago, keyser said:

As always brudda :) The rear windows pop out, so the frame sticks out a bit. RFC, some paint would help on frame. The area between window and fender dose seem to narrow a bit, so will need hands on to tell. 

Reference link for you. Caution that this is early 61 flat-floor welded hood louver external bonnet release car. LOL. Say that fast 3 times. But has nice shots of giblets. 

Pic of external bonnet latches, and welded louvers so subtle as to miss.

http://classicjaguar.com/cj/885013.html

oooh, THANKS!

Just showed why I'll find this really useful.

Fun, CK. Y'all need the joy of swapping pads or doing caliper rebuild on one of these. LMK what else ya need. 

Bill, that awful antenna and unchromed WSF really make it hard to tell. The upper WSF molding looks "generous", but again, need hammy hands on one. Easy enough to thin down top of WS chrome, they had moderate black seales so can cover the shaved trim if that becomes issue. 

The Sebring mirrors are nice to have for late 60's sport racers, but most E's had tiny chrome mirrors on doors. Useless trivia, early cars had large number delivered with medium whitewalls. Most now have BW or thin line ww.  And I've never seen one with that antenna like that. Ever. Nor would I want to in 1:1 :)

BTW CK, I can't tell sheen form pic, but exhausts at head were very glossy, porcelainized black. Gold in cam valley looks good, its a really odd gold with slight orange tint. Cam cover and nuts look good too, finish different on both. Heck of a Lego dude

Edited by keyser

1 hour ago, keyser said:

...BTW CK, I can't tell sheen form pic, but exhausts at head were very glossy, porcelainized black. Gold in cam valley looks good, its a really odd gold with slight orange tint. Cam cover and nuts look good too, finish different on both. Heck of a Lego dude

Thanks, Doc!  In the interest of finishing something non-review before I DIE, whatcha see there is a pre-finished base with corrections as needed.  Heater mesh is a wee cleaner since the shot, dry brushing covered with punctured dull foil cut by a compass blade.  

Black front suspension arms painted ally, Alclad finishes on rotors and calipers, engine repainted from silver monotone incl molded-in exhaust flanges - sheen is a bit low for shiny ceramic but okay to me.  Intake refinished some to spiff up SU bowls and other bits from the silver monochrome pre-finish.  Gold pre-finish on diecast top of cylinder head kinda scatty, think I redid it to match molded-in lower head on plastic block w/Alclad gold.  Acres-of-black broken up in rear end too w/oxide for the diff and the same Alclad for inboard brakes - think I can knock it back out to get the rear cover black. 

Wheels are supposed to be a three-cross spoke pattern for the Dunlops provided, but they were SO clearly designed for a two-spoke cross. Just managed to beat the spare wheel  on the right kicking, screaming and clawing into the supposedly correct pattern, shimming the assembly jig, rotating rim relative to hub -

2v2HBWMFWxE7KCV.jpg

- but what worked for one wheel didn't necessarily for the next, so I broke down and did the 2-spoke cross on the left for the other four b/c it was merely p-i-t-a difficult, instead of a bloody drag-down knock-out fist fight against parts that obviously weren't conceived for a 3-cross.  Took two full days of IT WORKED ON THE SPARE before I finally threw my hands up. Spokes can still pop loose from 3-cross on the right, but they're all locked drum-tight for 2-cross in the other four.  And DON'CHA KNOW - have a good look at the Revell wheels and they seem to cross two spokes too.  Still love the old Monogram 1/8 dearly, but iIrc, that spoke pattern wasn't even close.

Doors have gotten a couple U-Pol clearcoats, but the body shell looks like it might do pretty well without. Go figure...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
added note comparing DeAgostini wheels back to Revell

Screen looks pretty good. So many fiddly things under there.

Of course what worked on one won't be repeatable.  Wires look nice, is there only 1 spare tire like that? Perfect tread for OEM Dumflop. Sidewall too. 

Brass SU dampers look nice. Dab of clear red underneath to simulate ATF leak from damper chamber. LOL. The manifolds would slowly get duller. Big orange peel on then, but I won't tell. :)

Can't wait to see it. Dunno if you can post it under glass, it needs a glass garage not showcase. Be well. 

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I had to look twice and yeah, should be straight across. Not a hard fix at all.

That windshield height though.............. :unsure:

Well here's what occurs to me about that -

It's strongly hinted from the interior breakdown, the clear parts grouping, and the fact that they bother to set off  "(Coupe)" in the instructions that there's a convertible version iin the offing.

And if so, the chrome surround for the windshield might be a common part between the two versions? The chrome sprue grouping indicates it might not be, and the windshield seems to install from the outside, so that and some paint detailing might go some length to correct the apparent height and thickness of the trim.

STILL, it seems worth asking those who know these things before we decide to go google it for ourselves -

Is the convertible windscreen any lower in profile than the FHC's?

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Yep. And OTS version could then allow a LTW since they were roadster based with removable HT fixed on. 

61 E OTS, normal full production version. Has chrome at base of window as well.

Details for CK and Bill here https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1961-jaguar-e-type-1745.aspx

Okay, then, and thanks for the link!  

The more I look, the more convinced I am from the tree layout that this kit and the convertible following it will not be sharing windshields and trim - but danged if the build-up doesn't have the general flavor of a coupe with a convertible windshield.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
Typo