Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

10 hours ago, sfhess said:

JIM Keeler was in on the original design of these kits, if not the designer himself.  He has been a consultant in the packaging and marketing of the Atlantis version of these kits.

What did he do that is original to him? Consulting is not Designing 

45 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

It's possible he was hired as a consultant to the designs tasks.  Actually consultants are used to do tasks or jobs because the company may not have the staff with the knowledge to do those things  Basically subcontracting out parts of a job or tasks is commonplace at a lot of companies or businesses.

Edited by GMP440

5 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Jim Keeler worked for Revell in the early 60s.  He was involved in the design of many of the kits, and possibly the parts packs, we know and love.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sfhess said:

Jim Keeler worked for Revell in the early 60s.  He was involved in the design of many of the kits, and possibly the parts packs, we know and love.

I know who Keeler is, I just would not call him a designer. Tom Daniels, Yes, Barris, Yes, Keeler, not so much. 

The Late Bob Paeth told me that he and Mr. Keeler worked on several kits together. I don't remember which ones. But, Mr. Keeler was most certainly involved with some well known 1960's Revell Kits.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

The Late Bob Paeth told me that he and Mr. Keeler worked on several kits together. I don't remember which ones. But, Mr. Keeler was most certainly involved with some well known 1960's Revell Kits.

Oh, absolutely, Keeler was a big part of the early days of the hobby and lots of credit is due to him, and yes, he was quite instrumental in the design process, but I would not really call him a designer, but that is just me. I voiced it out loud and apparently met some resistance. 

And that is all I have to say about that. 

9 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh, absolutely, Keeler was a big part of the early days of the hobby and lots of credit is due to him, and yes, he was quite instrumental in the design process, but I would not really call him a designer, but that is just me. I voiced it out loud and apparently met some resistance. 

Hey, it's not like someone disagreed with you about calling Bareass a "designer". 😁

• Haha 1

Interesting how everyone is talking about him in the past. He is alive and well ( as well as can be expected due to his age) living in Utah. He is still actively designing and directing Atlantis along their way bringing us the kits that for so many years on this board were said to no longer exist. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Jim Keeler was and is a kit designer. He's why those earlier Revell ultra detailed kits are fiddly, due to their scale fidelity. Some of his earliest designs were the Attempt 1 and the 56 Ford pickup.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Jim Keeler was and is a kit designer. He's why those earlier Revell ultra detailed kits are fiddly, due to their scale fidelity. Some of his earliest designs were the Attempt 1 and the 56 Ford pickup.

I know who he is, I know what he did. Why does everyone feel like giving history lessons on this guy. So Ford and Mickey Thompson didn't design those cars? Keeler did? 

9 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I know who he is, I know what he did. Why does everyone feel like giving history lessons on this guy. So Ford and Mickey Thompson didn't design those cars? Keeler did? 

I think what they're getting at is he designed the kit parts, how they're shaped in plastic, how they fit together, the layout of the parts trees, that kind of thing as opposed to the actual 1/1 parts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I think what they're getting at is he designed the kit parts, how they're shaped in plastic, how they fit together, the layout of the parts trees, that kind of thing as opposed to the actual 1/1 parts.

But did he? Just going but what I know. And really, who cares, it all started because of the horrible box art. There, I said it! LOL! 

• Haha 1

So Atlantis steps up to the plate and buys a treasure trove of old tooling. And in that tooling is Revell parts packs kits. Instead of yelling that from the roof tops we have a bunch of box art critics.

This is the time we should be helping Atlantis promote these and the other kits they have.

Has anyone thought to offer some proposals for better art work?

And one final thought if Atlantis hadn't bought this tooling it probably would have been scrapped

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Boxed up so you get 4-5 Parts Packs at a price you'd never be able to get them individually.  We're talking about a family pack of discount grails here.

I guess some people just can't handle good news.

Edited by Richard Bartrop
  • Like 3

I don't think many people here are refusing to buy the parts pack-based kits just because of the box art.  The point is that Atlantis could do a better job of promoting them by using box art for these, and a few other kits that more closely resembles the original Revell box art.  That's to get the point across regarding the origins of what these kits are, to potential buyers who might be looking for these items but aren't convinced that what Atlantis is selling are the real thing.  The funny car kits will sell regardless of box art, as long as the chosen subjects are good ones.  The Tom Daniel and Ed Roth stuff will sell because they have a built-in following of builders and collectors.  The parts packs have to find the builders who remember them.  The box art would help in that regard. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Mark said:

I don't think many people here are refusing to buy the parts pack-based kits just because of the box art.  The point is that Atlantis could do a better job of promoting them by using box art for these, and a few other kits that more closely resembles the original Revell box art.  That's to get the point across regarding the origins of what these kits are, to potential buyers who might be looking for these items but aren't convinced that what Atlantis is selling are the real thing.  The funny car kits will sell regardless of box art, as long as the chosen subjects are good ones.  The Tom Daniel and Ed Roth stuff will sell because they have a built-in following of builders and collectors.  The parts packs have to find the builders who remember them.  The box art would help in that regard. 

Amen, Mark!

You said it much better than I could.

Thank You!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

And in that tooling is Revell parts packs kits. Instead of yelling that from the roof tops we have a bunch of box art critics.

I'm young enough to have missed the whole parts pack/Ed Roth stuff. Despite reading/learning so much here from you cats, most of it still goes over my head.

Better box art and side panel photography/marketing would educate and sell the contents of the kits better, manage expectations, and build trust, especially with normies like me.

• Like 2

I do buy from Atlantis because they are bringing things back that as mentioned before, did not exists anymore. Some of their box art has been pretty much re-done original box art.

And that is nice, but I do understand why they might be using new art, and that is simply because the existing art was not meant for individual sales. The parts kits models where sold in sets and breaking them up does require new box art. 

As a box art afficionado, and somewhat of an artist myself, I just don't like the new boxes. Nothing against the artist, that is his style, but it is not box art type art to me. These are the paintings you see someone selling on the lawn at a car show. Maybe he will paint your car with you favorite pet in it or something. 

There are tons of art options out there and I am sure lots of artist who would love to work with them to do box art, but did they ask a few folks or just saw this art somewhere and went for it? Who knows. They could wrap up these kits in butcher paper and I would still buy them. Luckily I have the originals and that is plenty good for Shelf Decor.