Model Cars Magazine Forum

/Jo-Han 1971 Comet Annual

I recently followed a Jo-Han Mercury Comet on eBay ; and , I noticed that it was a 2-in-1 , which I've never seen before ! I'm aware of the Maverick 2-in-1 kit , but wasn't aware of its Mercury counterpart .

Is this a rare kit ? Was it a mid-year tooling change ( think : MPC 1971 Duster and 1971 Demon 340 --- the latter being a c.Spring 1971 intro )  ?

From the photos , I was able to ascertain :

- Stock inline six engine / manual trans 

- Stock wheel covers 

- Moulded-in bench seat (front and rear ) 

- Plastic Good Year wrinkle-wall slicks

- Cragar S/S wheels

- BOSS 429 in Pro Stock livery 

- Chassis has moulded-on single exhaust 

Did anyone here win the bid ? 

I'd love to build a stock 1971 Mercury Comet !

Very short production run.  Probably done after the stock/funny car Maverick kit (the first kit in the Maverick/Comet group) but before the Comet funny car "annual" and definitely before the Pro Stock variations.  

The Comet kit had Maverick wheel covers.  The Comet promo model did have correct wheel covers.

Cool info @marc ----  stands to reason that the first-run would be a rare piece , especially considering that it's a mid-late-year intro .

I'd read-through that thread @Casey  ; very informative !

I may as well let the cat out of the bag here : I'm the proud owner of said 1971 Comet ( ? ) !  Been wanting  one for better than 30 years , and since I had the funds --- I gave $83.00 for it ---- I'd figured , Why not ?

I'm planning a stock build (okay , maybe aftermarket wheels and maybe tyres ) some day . The awesome BOSS 429 will either end up in another project or be up for trade here .

It's nice to have a Jo-Han kits that's not covered with flash ! 

Thanks to everyone whom participated .

That sounds like a good score.

While I have seen later issue JoHan Comet and Maverick pro stock kits on vendors tables at swap meets, they don't include most of the factory stock pieces, and were priced considerably higher than you paid for the eBay listing. Worth it? It would be to me, as I have loved the subject matter ever since seeing "Day 2" warmed up Mavericks and Comets roaming the streets. Looking forward to a build thread in the WIP section.

I once test drove a '74 4dr Maverick that was white, with a light tan interior. On the front fenders were 5.0 badges. They were lying! Under the hood was very "warmed up" 351 Windsor. That little ride impressed me! Couldn't come to terms with the dealer, so I left it with him!

Since that day, I've wanted to build a close replica with either a stock Maverick, or Comet kit. I just haven't been able to justify the cost, yet.

3 hours ago, gman said:

That sounds like a good score.

While I have seen later issue JoHan Comet and Maverick pro stock kits on vendors tables at swap meets, they don't include most of the factory stock pieces, and were priced considerably higher than you paid for the eBay listing. Worth it? It would be to me, as I have loved the subject matter ever since seeing "Day 2" warmed up Mavericks and Comets roaming the streets. Looking forward to a build thread in the WIP section

I set my 'max bid' at $100.00 and figured , If I get it , I get . I'm not going to lay-out any more than a 'note . After reading the thread (posted here by Casey) , and after further investigation , I'm surprised that I got it so relatively-cheap .

It's not 100% complete ; no decals , which don't matter to me anyhow as they'd be as old as me , and just about as worthless . One of the slicks has its halves glued-together (properly at least) , which , again , is no big deal . Tattered-but-together box ( again , no biggie ... I'm planning to build it , not put it on a shelf for archeologists to find it in the year 3,000 . 

For having grown up in a city with a few Ford dealerships (and a couple of Lincoln-Mercury dealerships) around , I honestly don't recall having seeing any modified Mavericks or Comets around --- not even Show Pipes ( functioning side-exit exhaust has long been illegal in California due to Noise Pollution Laws... not that that stopped anybody ! ) . I remember quite a few LUV pickups , Vega's , Monza's , Pinto's , and Couriers around , in addition to the usual Chevelle's , Camaro's , Firebirds , Chargers , Darts , Dusters , Mustangs , etc. , etc. , ...and a number of AMC's .

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

I once test drove a '74 4dr Maverick that was white, with a light tan interior. On the front fenders were 5.0 badges. They were lying! Under the hood was very "warmed up" 351 Windsor. That little ride impressed me! Couldn't come to terms with the dealer, so I left it with him!

Since that day, I've wanted to build a close replica with either a stock Maverick, or Comet kit. I just haven't been able to justify the cost, yet.

A four door with a 351-W ? Seems to me like someone was influenced by the Gapp & Rousch Tijuana Taxi Pro Stock ! That happens to be one of my all-time favourite Pro Stock cars ---- a scale replica of that car would be sweet ! 

7 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I set my 'max bid' at $100.00 and figured , If I get it , I get . I'm not going to lay-out any more than a 'note . After reading the thread (posted here by Casey) , and after further investigation , I'm surprised that I got it so relatively-cheap .

It's not 100% complete ; no decals , which don't matter to me anyhow as they'd be as old as me , and just about as worthless . One of the slicks has its halves glued-together (properly at least) , which , again , is no big deal . Tattered-but-together box ( again , no biggie ... I'm planning to build it , not put it on a shelf for archeologists to find it in the year 3,000 . 

For having grown up in a city with a few Ford dealerships (and a couple of Lincoln-Mercury dealerships) around , I honestly don't recall having seeing any modified Mavericks or Comets around --- not even Show Pipes ( functioning side-exit exhaust has long been illegal in California due to Noise Pollution Laws... not that that stopped anybody ! ) . I remember quite a few LUV pickups , Vega's , Monza's , Pinto's , and Couriers around , in addition to the usual Chevelle's , Camaro's , Firebirds , Chargers , Darts , Dusters , Mustangs , etc. , etc. , ...and a number of AMC's .

Regional differences I guess. Around here, it was not uncommon to see a V8 Maverick or Comet warmed up, running aftermarket wheels, maybe some custom paint. Sometimes all the mods amounted to restored bodywork and kept all of the big changes under the hood. A healthy small block Ford could really move one of these cars.

I still see the odd one- I came across a clean Maverick Grabber parked on a suburban side street wearing a for sale sign a couple of years ago, that only needed some TLC and minor rust repair to be really sharp. If I had an extra parking spot, the $2900 asking price and maybe another $2000-3000 to drop into it, would have turned into a really sharp ride...less common than the usual "muscle cars" with comparable performance.

A member of our local antique car club owns a very sharp red Maverick Grabber. I'm not sure what engine is in it. They bought it a couple years ago from the original owner. If I had seen it first..................

21 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I may as well let the cat out of the bag here : I'm the proud owner of said 1971 Comet ( ? ) !  Been wanting  one for better than 30 years , and since I had the funds --- I gave $83.00 for it ---- I'd figured , Why not ?

I never saw it, can you post a pic of the box and contents for reference?

I'd like to see what an original stock Comet kit looks like. 

Around here, Mavericks rusted quickly (like nearly everything else!).  In 1986, I bought a '74 coupe with 27,000 miles and lots of structural rust and rot.  The interior was like new.  The engine and transmission live on, in my '62 Fairlane.  The powertrain now has more miles on it in the Fairlane than it racked up in the Maverick.

I purchased this built up Mercury Comet that provides all the stock trim and stock interior.  I've not seen another body like this.

DSCN1325.JPG

The striped body with a thin coat of primer.

DSCN5681DSCN5684

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I never saw it, can you post a pic of the box and contents for reference?

I'd like to see what an original stock Comet kit looks like. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Comet-Pro-Stocker-Jo-Han-C-112-200-Model-Car-Unassembled-Open-Box/363039877368?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

43 minutes ago, afx said:

purchased this built up Mercury Comet that provides all the stock trim and stock interior.  I've not seen another body like this.

@afx , Thanks much for sharing those photos . I linked the listing of the one which I'd purchased . This is possibly the most fun and unique kit in my collection ; a definite favourite .  

24 minutes ago, gman said:

One great thing about many of the old JoHan kits- they really nailed the body lines and proportions. This Comet is a good example of that.

Absolutely . Heck , even  their promo-esque chassis have more detail than the same MPC or AMT kits of the era ( *cough* correct brake master cylinder *cough* ) . 

If there was only one thing I could change , it would be the moulded-on exhaust (never a good thing) . That items must've disappeared with the stock build option , as all of the subsequent  Pro Stock (et alia) iterations are sans exhaust ( I won't mention the moulded-on differential... ) .

I'm looking forward to gettin' down & dirty with this bad boy ! 

If that's the only Comet kit that has the gold Mr. Gasket decals, I have it. I think I may have substituted the Maverick P/S chassis and interior when I built it when it came out, and it's got that flat hood scoop on it.