Model Cars Magazine Forum

One-off Build quiz (Deadline Aug. 2, 2020 0:00 CET)

On 7/30/2020 at 5:06 PM, DonW said:

... And this answer has a fascinating story behind it.

It must.

From its looks, there's not much it can be except a...or possibly a... (looks to me like there are really only two possibilities), but I haven't been able to find its provenance.

I guess my encyclopedic knowledge ain't that great after all.   ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It must.

From its looks, there's not much it can be except a...or possibly a... (looks to me like there are really only two possibilities), but I haven't been able to find its provenance.

I guess my encyclopedic knowledge ain't that great after all.   ;)

And he not busy being born is busy dying! I feel your pain, Bill. But then, you've got a few that I hadn't got a clue about...☺️

It is 0:05 CET and the One off Build quiz is over.

This car looks like a Bentley but it isn‘t it one of the last Alvis. It is a 1967 Alvis Burns Special. As DonW mentioned it has aa fascinating story. Jim Burns was a businessman who had made his fortune in the world of pop music manufacturing electric guitars for the likes of The Shadows and Eric Clapton, he was also a genuine petrol head and a keen Alvis enthusiast, so having sold his interests in his business he decided to try his luck in the automotive industry and this was the car. More about him and the car just follow the link.

The correct answer were sent in by

Porschrcr

Richard Bartrop

Bucky

dw1603

GeeBee

DonW

matthijsgrit

Matt Bacon

Earl Marischal

Congratulations

50 minutes ago, carsntrucks4you said:

It is 0:05 CET and the One off Build quiz is over.

This car looks like a Bentley but it isn‘t it one of the last Alvis. It is a 1967 Alvis Burns Special. As DonW mentioned it has aa fascinating story. Jim Burns was a businessman who had made his fortune in the world of pop music manufacturing electric guitars for the likes of The Shadows and Eric Clapton, he was also a genuine petrol head and a keen Alvis enthusiast, so having sold his interests in his business he decided to try his luck in the automotive industry and this was the car. More about him and the car just follow the link.

The correct answer were sent in by

Porschrcr

Richard Bartrop

Bucky

dw1603

GeeBee

DonW

matthijsgrit

Matt Bacon

Earl Marischal

Congratulations

Wow, once again I am way off base.  Right country this time.  Great story though. 

1 hour ago, carsntrucks4you said:

...This car looks like a Bentley but it isn‘t it one of the last Alvis. It is a 1967 Alvis Burns Special

Yeah, I kept thinking it couldn't be a Bentley 'cause the grille shell was just enough different...and looked like something I've seen a bazillion times.

And when I read "Alvis" just now, I had a supreme "doh" moment.

1959 Alvis TD 21 Coupe Park Ward (With images) | Classic ...

Though it's a beautiful car, it's not really a very original design.

Leave the somewhat similar Ghia/Chrysler GS-1 (below)...

File:1954 Chrysler Ghia Special GS-1 coupe - blue - fvl.jpg

...and a mid-'60s Bentley Continental together alone for a while...

1965 Bentley Continental - Information and photos - MOMENTcar

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

1967 would make it one of the last ones built.  It must have been a sad day when the announcement finally came:

"Ladies and gentlemen, Alvis has left the building."

HHAHAHA!!! I 'bout lost my coffee, right then!

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

1967 would make it one of the last ones built.  It must have been a sad day when the announcement finally came:

"Ladies and gentlemen, Alvis has left the building."

Haha! That is brilliant. Alvis continued building military vehicles for some time after that, like the outstanding amphibious Stalwart, a six wheel drive floating truck with a straight eight Rolls Royce lump. Sounded fabulous.

My Dad owned and ran Speed 20 and Speed 25 Alvises from the 1930s from the fifties to the mid sixties as daily drivers and occasional racers. Great fast touring cars, we used to go on  annual family holidays to Italy in a Speed 25. The last one was lost when Dad jokingly offered to swap it for a brand new Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce, a deal offered by a dodgy Italian policeman who craved the Alvis. Of course Dad hated the Alfa and after an amusing time at Customs on our journey home, sold it on. I often wondered what became of the Alvis, out there in Turin.