Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motlo pens

These pens have a shelf life and it doesn't appear to be very long.

I bought a couple of them some time ago and they worked fine at first.

After a while, I got the same finish as you.

I've come to the conclusion that they are not worth the time and money.

I got by just fine without them for decades.

I think I can do without them now.

Steve

The first one I'd purchased -- the 1 millimetre pen -- two years ago finally ran-out of ink . 

I have a 4 millimetre pen that I bought a year ago , and it still does its job with zero issues .

I store them business-end-down ; I shake them vigorously before use ; dab the tip on a piece of scrap paper ; then go to town . 

Where are you storing yours ? High humidity ? Natural light exposure ? Hot or cool area ? 

26 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The first one I'd purchased -- the 1 millimetre pen -- two years ago finally ran-out of ink . 

I have a 4 millimetre pen that I bought a year ago , and it still does its job with zero issues .

I store them business-end-down ; I shake them vigorously before use ; dab the tip on a piece of scrap paper ; then go to town . 

Where are you storing yours ? High humidity ? Natural light exposure ? Hot or cool area ? 

Right now mine are being stored in the circular file! ^_^

Steve

The 1mm pen i bought two years ago does the same thing: silver instead of chrome.

It was great for a coupe months, but I didn't really use it a lot.

I've soaked the tip in alcohol till it looked new, shook the ever-loving life out of the pen's contents, and it still comes out silver.

The refill I bought, however, still gives a very nice chrome-like finish, both through the air brush and with a good old airless-on-a-stick.

Not as nice as Alclad, but it does have it's place.

A buddy has gone through several pens, all stayed chrome-looking right till the end. ???

Top tip (actually, two...)

It seems like the tip is the problem with these, and what stops the chrome being chrome.  Cleaning them by dipping in 99% isopropyl alcohol seems to help and bring them back to life.

Alternatively, rather than throw the pens out, you can unscrew the nozzle and empty the chrome ink, which will still airbrush perfectly well (which is what leads me to believe the tip is the cause of the ‘silvering’ issue rather than the ink itself) and still give a great chrome finish

I REALLY like the ink for airbrushing - but the refills are now so expensive compared to what they cost a few years ago so I’m transitioning back to Alclad here again 

46 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

It seems like the tip is the problem with these, and what stops the chrome being chrome.  Cleaning them by dipping in 99% isopropyl alcohol seems to help and bring them back to life.

Alternatively, rather than throw the pens out, you can unscrew the nozzle and empty the chrome ink, which will still airbrush perfectly well (which is what leads me to believe the tip is the cause of the ‘silvering’ issue rather than the ink itself)

I've tried both approaches with my 1mm and 2mm pens.

Neither produced any better results.

Actually, I rarely used the tips anyway.

I usually preferred to apply it with a brush.

I also tried thinning the ink as suggested by several members, also to no avail.

I just chalk it up to another inferior product that I really don't need anyway.

If I can't do it with foil, (which is very rare), I'll use a dab of Testors chrome silver or a shot of silver Sharpie as Snake suggests. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

35 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've tried both approaches with my 1mm and 2mm pens.

Neither produced any better results.

Actually, I rarely used the tips anyway.

I usually preferred to apply it with a brush.

I also tried thinning the ink as suggested by several members, also to no avail.

I just chalk it up to another inferior product that I really don't need anyway.

If I can't do it with foil, (which is very rare), I'll use a dab of Testors chrome silver or a shot of silver Sharpie as Snake suggests. ;)

Steve

I’d say you’re doing just fine without them Steve! 

Same issue, I have the 1mm and the 2mm pens and both have turned to silver.  Tried soaking the tips, shaking it up real well and still get the same silver results.  Not impressed with the apparent short shelf life.

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

There are replacement tips available. I have a couple for the 1mm pen. When I get back to the hobby room, I'll try one, as my pen is doing the same thing as described above.

Good to hear, looking forward to hearing the results with a new tip.  My 2mm is starting to silver.

2 hours ago, bogger44 said:

Good to hear, looking forward to hearing the results with a new tip.  My 2mm is starting to silver.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the tips.

I believe it's the ink itself.

As I said, I rarely used the tips in favor of a brush, and mine did the exact same thing.

Steve

44 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I really don't think it has anything to do with the tips.

I believe it's the ink itself

Well, I’ve had a plastic refill bottle as long as I’ve had the first two pens (which have now been replaced), and it brushes and airbrushes as well today as it did when I got it. You do have to shake it A LOT to get the proper effect when airbrushed, though. Two full minutes is what I give it these days... Not saying you’re wrong, of course, just YMMV...

best,

M.

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Well, I’ve had a plastic refill bottle as long as I’ve had the first two pens (which have now been replaced), and it brushes and airbrushes as well today as it did when I got it. You do have to shake it A LOT to get the proper effect when airbrushed, though. Two full minutes is what I give it these days... Not saying you’re wrong, of course, just YMMV...

best,

M.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong either.

This is just my experience with the stuff.

I did everything possible to correct the situation, but nothing worked.

I've given up on Molotow.

It's not worth the aggravation to me.

I've done well with BMF for decades.

I don't see any reason to change anything at this point.

I've been much happier with the performance and durability of Alclad chrome over Molotow anyway.

Steve

I've used other brands of chrome pen, Decocolor is one, and they have turned silver after a few weeks, so if it's happening with Molotow pens I'd be willing to bet it's the contents inside just breaking down and nothing to do with the felt tip. I guess storage is a factor also, temp changes etc.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, JPolli said:

if I may add my 2 cents to the conversation.  I've noticed the Molotow finish eventually turns silver after time.  It initially looks great eventually loosing it's luster. 

It really doesn't surprise me.

It was never developed for modeling purposes in the first place, and I always suspected that longevity might be an issue.

Steve