Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 × Opel Admiral in the 1930s

Rakentaja

These models are originally made by ICM and the sedan the model has been repackaged by Revell Germany. ICM number is 24021 and Revell number is 07042. The scale is 1:24

I've made these in this year, between April and July. 

The black one is sedan model that was seen in International Car Show in Berlin in 1937.

The red one is cabriolet model from year 1939. It was in Finnish movie called SF-Paraati and it was filmed in 1939. The licence plate is the same as in the movie.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033007/

The third one is for special bodies made by Hebmüller, Gläser etc.

IMG_20200726_085018.jpg

IMG_20200726_085340.jpg

IMG_20200726_085423.jpg

IMG_20200726_085452.jpg

IMG_20200726_085519.jpg

ICM.jpg

Revell.jpg

Nice job on both of these. Interior detail on the chabriolet, and the chassis/engine look great. I picked up the saloon last week. Can't wait to get into it. Couple of questions; Can the multie piece body be assembled/painted before adding the interior panels. What method did you use to chrome the grill, trim, etc. since there are no chrome pieces in the kit? Thanks for any advice/help you can offer, and again, you group of Admirals look great.

4 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Couple of questions; Can the multie piece body be assembled/painted before adding the interior panels. What method did you use to chrome the grill, trim, etc. since there are no chrome pieces in the kit? Thanks for any advice/help you can offer, and again, you group of Admirals look great.

I think the best way to make this model is to do it like I did. The roof, back and windshield frame must be glued together before painting. Otherwise, the seams will remain visible. The base plate and sides can also be lightly glued together before painting. Lightly because when installing the roof and others, there must be some space to get the parts properly in place. There must be no gaps.

In ICM box there are chromed parts, so I used them. Because these are the same parts there is no problem to do so. 
All pictures can be found on my blog. The language is finnish but you can use Google Translator like I do when reading something I don't understand.

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I keep seeing these come up for sale, these are the first I've seen built - you've done a really nice job on them.

Any issues putting them together?

Thank you. Just minor problems with small and fragile parts like steering wheel, etc. It's easier to build a cabriolet than a sedan. 

Edited by Rakentaja

6 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Jouko, Thanks for the tips. They'll be a help when I start this build. My Saloon kit is an ICM product. I went back & checked, the parts are there, but nothing is chrome. Oh well, I'll figure it out. Thanks again. Stay well.

It's strange. If you have an ICM box, as in the picture below, then there should be chrome parts as in the second picture. I have had all three different versions of the ICM from that car (Sedan, Cabriolet with open cover and Cabriolet with closed cover) and all have chrome parts included. 
There are no chrome parts in the box packed by Revell, third picture.

2016224194516.jpg

2016225095255.jpg

IMG_20200427_123601.jpg

• 6 months later...