Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Had some time yesterday to dig into the kit some more...

Don't think I've ever seen a US kit with underhood fender bolts.

They did forget the parting line between the fender and rockerpnl tho, but a few strokes with a BMF scriber or needle file will fix that in under a minute, and yes as Tim and Chuck said the RH C-pillar needs some massaging near the 1/4 window.

Also a question;

What Tamiya TS spray cans come close to factory spec colors for this one?

Thanks!

Luc

Luc, for the review sample I built, I used Tamiya Italian Red (TS-8?) over gray primer.  The result was really close to 1971 Ford Bright Red according to the paint chips manual pages in my library.  Other than white and black, based on what I observed, there were no other TS colors that were close matches to the Boss 351 paint palette that year.  

Best....TB

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Is the silver on the hood for the cars with silver accents flat or semi-gloss? It's very hard to tell from pictures. I think it's flat (was going to use Tamiya AS-12 Bare metal for it) but I am not sure.

Steve...the silver accents are printed in a very fine metallic silver, with an overall glossy finish as you would expect to see in most of the 1/25th scale kits).  I don't have AS-12 in my paint inventory so I can't provide any guidance there...  Best...TB  

2 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Super excited because my tracking info tells me that my shipment of these Mustangs arrives at my shop tomorrow. I've already had several folks stopping in that I've never seen as customers before checking "Do you guys have the new Revell Mustang?"

Justin...please keep us up to date on your customers' reaction to the kit.  Particularly interested to hear that it might be attracting new customers for you.  I hear via the grapevine that the kit is selling really well so far for others in the trade; hope you find this to also be case.  Best...TIM 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Super excited because my tracking info tells me that my shipment of these Mustangs arrives at my shop tomorrow. I've already had several folks stopping in that I've never seen as customers before checking "Do you guys have the new Revell Mustang?"

VERY cool!  This sucker deserves the hype.

18 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Steve...the silver accents are printed in a very fine metallic silver, with an overall glossy finish as you would expect to see in most of the 1/25th scale kits).  I don't have AS-12 in my paint inventory so I can't provide any guidance there...  Best...TB  

Thanks, Tim, that's a huge help.

19 hours ago, tim boyd said:

No he meant on the real car, were the accents gloss or matte?  AS-12 is "Bare Metal", it's what Tamiya suggests painting "Natural Metal Finish" P-51 Mustangs in...

Edited by niteowl7710

5 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

I picked up the '71 Mustang kit yesterday, and it looks fantastic! Now all I need to do is wait for the other versions to arrive, so I can build a close replica of my HS ride. Any idea when the next versions will be arriving? 

The James Bond kit should be out before the end of the year. Any future releases would be "rumors" at the moment as none of them are official right now. 

Maybe the Late Fall Detroit Show, otherwise probably have to wait until the annual RevellAG January 1st announcement slate.

I've been waiting to see some builds of this new Revell kit to determine if I should throw a question out there about it... to my eyes, I think the clear headlight lenses were molded a tad too big in circumference.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding what my eyes are seeing?

1/1 reference pics below with a pic of Chuck Satterwhite's excellent build from the Model Cars tab shown at bottom:

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-mecum-main~2.jpg

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351_8593~2.jpg

20230731_184721.jpg.a65d92cdaf4bd422b097b042d43dcd56~2.jpg

Edited by '70 Grande

6 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

I've been waiting to see some builds of this new Revell kit to determine if I should throw a question out there about it... to my eyes, I think the clear headlight lenses were molded a tad too big in circumference.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding what my eyes are seeing?

1/1 reference pics below with a pic of Chuck Satterwhite's excellent build from the Model Cars tab shown at bottom:

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-mecum-main~2.jpg

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351_8593~2.jpg

20230731_184721.jpg.a65d92cdaf4bd422b097b042d43dcd56~2.jpg

They do look a touch big on the kit but I think that's from most of the ones I've seen so far have the headlight surrounds painted silver. I think if the surrounds were painted black they'd look A-1.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

They do look a touch big on the kit but I think that's from most of the ones I've seen so far have the headlight surrounds painted silver. I think if the surrounds were painted black they'd look A-1.

I agree, the grille piece needs to be black. The trim ring that is silver is molded on the headlight itself. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I too made the mistake of painting the headlight trim ring with chrome when it should be black and noted same in my kit review buildup.  Proper painting (e.g. leaving the ring black) will reduce the visual size impression.  With the approach Revell took to scaling the body (e.g. digital scanning) I think it would be unlikely (though not impossible) that they made the ring/headlight too large. 

TB  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I agree, the grille piece needs to be black. The trim ring that is silver is molded on the headlight itself. 

The headlight has a very thin metal round retaining ring and a much wider headlight door that should be painted black.

A little tricky to replicate in 1/25 scale but this is how it should look.

IMG_9247.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg

IMG_9249.jpeg

On 8/4/2023 at 10:44 AM, niteowl7710 said:

No he meant on the real car, were the accents gloss or matte?  AS-12 is "Bare Metal", it's what Tamiya suggests painting "Natural Metal Finish" P-51 Mustangs in...

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1902-most-original-1971-boss-351-in-the-world/

Everyone references the hood paint as Argent yet I cannot find a Ford paint code.  The Argent paint on the hood in these pictures looks much lighter that the Ford color of Light Pewter Poly as see on the Mach1.  As for model paint I would go with the closest silver that matches the kit decals.

IMG_9253.jpeg

IMG_9252.jpeg

IMG_9251.jpeg

IMG_9250.jpeg

IMG_9254.jpeg

IMG_9257.jpeg

9 hours ago, vamach1 said:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1902-most-original-1971-boss-351-in-the-world/

Everyone references the hood paint as Argent yet I cannot find a Ford paint code.  The Argent paint on the hood in these pictures looks much lighter that the Ford color of Light Pewter Poly as see on the Mach1.  As for model paint I would go with the closest silver that matches the kit decals.

IMG_9253.jpeg

IMG_9252.jpeg

IMG_9251.jpeg

IMG_9250.jpeg

IMG_9254.jpeg

IMG_9257.jpeg

I agree with Rex on all points.  The silver Boss 351 graphics color is notably lighter than the Ford 1971 Light Pewter Metallic as depicted in paint chip manuals that year.  Light Pewter Metallic could be described as a light grey metallic, while the graphics color is a light silver color.  Without having a 100-point 1/1 scale resto or actual paint sample to compare, my take is that the silver graphics color on the kit decal sheet is close to the real color.   Best...TB

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vamach1 said:

The headlight has a very thin metal round retaining ring and a much wider headlight door that should be painted black.

A little tricky to replicate in 1/25 scale but this is how it should look.

IMG_9247.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg

IMG_9249.jpeg

Thanks Chuck....excellent reference photos!   TB

13 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I agree with Rex on all points.  The silver Boss 351 graphics color is notably lighter than the Ford 1971 Light Pewter Metallic as depicted in paint chip manuals that year.  Light Pewter Metallic could be described as a light grey metallic, while the graphics color is a light silver color.  Without having a 100-point 1/1 scale resto or actual paint sample to compare, my take is that the silver graphics color on the kit decal sheet is close to the real color.   Best...TB

I looked at the decal sheet last night and there's a definite metallic appearance on the graphics so AS-12 won't work. I will experiment with TS-17 Aluminum and TS-76 Mica Silver to see if either one of those matches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of closeup shots of the headlight area of 1971 Mustang Mach 1s and Boss 351s shot earlier today at the SVT 30th Anniversary Reunion/Southeast Mustang Club of Michigan event at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan.  The 1/1 headlight surrounds are totally blacked out as pointed out in several other posts....thanks for looking...TB 

DSC 0503

DSC 0599

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the Revelll grille I just finished painting and also the real panel.  The headlights look “normal” and I did not try to replicate the stainless steel retaining ring.  The tail lights are hard to detail given the size.  The red clear piece glues in from behind.  The rest of the tail light “assembly” is molded into the kit rear panel so the purist will try to paint the thin chrome trim around each “light” then the flat black and finally the outer chrome portion.  The black portion on the outside of the outer chrome is a gasket which is not seen on the actual car.  Get out those magnifying glasses.  I found dry brushing gave me the best result.

IMG_9398.jpeg

IMG_9392.jpeg

IMG_9397.jpeg

IMG_9393.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought about posting this in the Work In Progress section but it’s just a bunch of painted parts at his point with no decals applied yet.  Speaking of decals I have never seen a kit with such an extensive amount.  There are decals for the valve covers, dash, coil, voltage regulator, door panels, dash, wheels, door locks, fan belts, VIN on the dash, etc, and of course the hood and lower body.  If you are looking for a quick build with all the parts and decals this kit has it might take longer than usual.  To no ones surprise I’ll go with the main body in Grabber Yellow and paint the lower body gloss black and hood semi-gloss black.  To do this kit justice I am treating each part as a separate assembly and trying to use the combination of paint and decals to replicate the car as close to either one that was in a dealer showroom or was restored to a concours level.

IMG_9410.jpeg

IMG_9408.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I thought about posting this in the Work In Progress section but it’s just a bunch of painted parts at his point with no decals applied yet.  Speaking of decals I have never seen a kit with such an extensive amount.  There are decals for the valve covers, dash, coil, voltage regulator, door panels, dash, wheels, door locks, fan belts, VIN on the dash, etc, and of course the hood and lower body.  If you are looking for a quick build with all the parts and decals this kit has it might take longer than usual.  To no ones surprise I’ll go with the main body in Grabber Yellow and paint the lower body gloss black and hood semi-gloss black.  To do this kit justice I am treating each part as a separate assembly and trying to use the combination of paint and decals to replicate the car as close to either one that was in a dealer showroom or was restored to a concours level.

IMG_9410.jpeg

IMG_9408.jpeg

Rex...looking really good!  Glad to see you went with one of the contrasting front seat insert options as well....  My experience was also that the kit took longer than usual to assemble, but it was well worth the effort given all that Revell put in the box....good luck bringing this one home!   TIM 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Rex...looking really good!  Glad to see you went with one of the contrasting front seat insert options as well....  My experience was also that the kit took longer than usual to assemble, but it was well worth the effort given all that Revell put in the box....good luck bringing this one home!   TIM 

Thanks.  I saw this picture online and maybe I’ll do a barn find version after finishing the first build.  It would be an interesting take on this fantastic kit.

IMG_9412.jpeg