Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 1:1 RAM comes with tinted windows and the kit has clear plastic windows so I decided to try something new and different to tint the windows. I’m testing some window tint that is sold for real windows. So far on my test it’s looking good I’m going to wait a couple days to see if it’s still good when the glue is completely dry. If it stays like it is now I’m going to use it. I don’t have a plan B yet so I’m hoping this works. Here’s my test piece. 
E37C45E1_EA42_4022_B48C_BFB385FC8027.jpe

Thanks Jeff and Steve on confirming no problems with using real window tint. So far my test piece still looks clear. The kit comes with pre cut clear plastic that needs trimmed up to fit but the sides and back windows are all flat so this will be pretty easy to apply. 

I’m going to have to spray the white a second time found to many places that I was not satisfied with so I’ve been sanding it for the next coat. Finished the front bumper and winch hook set up. Added the red tag to the hook I’ve seen it in the pictures. Test fitting the rear fenders and wheels so far it’s looking like it’s lining up right. 

1A29098C_759D_432B_A551_A4ACF14314F8.jpe
3CA6C5A6_F2D7_48CF_868D_C744FE3C057C.jpe
0AEA1AD0_5A22_4757_827F_CDB7420C4BDF.jpe

Thanks Dan that’s the look I was going for. 

Francis with my test samples I found out that with out using the soapy water there were lots of air bubbles so I used the soapy water to apply. I used over sized tint when I applied the tint to the windows and trimmed it off after they dried. 

On 12/24/2020 at 12:37 PM, Mopar - D said:

Thanks Dan that’s the look I was going for. 

Francis with my test samples I found out that with out using the soapy water there were lots of air bubbles so I used the soapy water to apply. I used over sized tint when I applied the tint to the windows and trimmed it off after they dried. 

Thanks for the tip Dan, that makes a lot of sense because I was wondering about bubbles and creases, this stuff is already hard to put on 1: 1 cars so I can imagine on those little windows...

Merry christmas! ?

1 hour ago, modelercarl said:

Dan,  FYI I forwarded your request to A&N Resin for a Dodge RAM TRX model and they let me know that after doing some research they have entered it into their schedule.  

Great news Carl. Thanks for requesting and letting me know there response. 

Thanks Jeff. I would like to get one of those new TRX but it will not fit in my garage. Lol. 

Francis sometime ago someone posted this technique on MCM and I’ve used it a couple times I have also used it for head liners. You just have to check the texture of the paper to get what you need. 

I’ve been working on head light and tail light lenses still have some more work on the head lights. I’m going to be adding some BMF behind the lenses and RAM has not made this very easy to copy. 

2405D331_4936_4D36_BDCE_468FFE6DD4AE.jpe
EB68F0AC_2ED8_4AD3_97FD_F3004B54FC01.jpe

1 hour ago, Mopar - D said:

I’ve been working on head light and tail light lenses still have some more work on the head lights. I’m going to be adding some BMF behind the lenses and RAM has not made this very easy to copy. 

For the head lights, I don't know if a Molotow liquid chrome pencil would have made you the life easier if you have one of course...?