Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

The Hawaiian's new tires and wheels were molded in China.  Atlantis didn't get any tooling located there.

The new tires and wheels are okay but not fantastic.  I bought a built Hawaiian to snag the front wheels for another car, as I recall the new wheels do not fit the old tires which is the combination that I would have liked to have.  

On 4/26/2021 at 3:46 AM, Mr mopar said:

By my understanding the rear tire are new just not the wheels ?

Yes, they did a whole new set up, so I am curious as to what they did with the old version Trick Wheels. Those used the much disliked soft, hollow and brittle tires. 

I don't like adding to the speculation so I'll stick to what I can see...  

The American Racing wheels in the last Revell Hawaiian 1/16 funny car kit were on a new separate tree - the old Revell Cragar Super Tricks were still on the main chrome tree in that kit.  Although the Green Elephant also ran with American wheels, Super Tricks are on the box art.  Cragar wheels are also on the test shot.

Atlantis has said there is a new blower scoop (good news) for the Crower injector - and there it is in the photo of the test shot.  It looks like they are really tuned in.

Looks good to me from just what I can see - I'm in

On 4/23/2021 at 12:20 PM, Dave Van said:

Agree on all counts. Box art is not as easy as it looks. I submitted my version of box art for the Moebius Hudson as I did the artwork for the decals.

Hello Dave, nice box art design you came up with... I'm really vibing on your warm orange-y tones. Haven't gotten around to building any Moebius kits yet; their Hudsons always looked particularly awesome, and I should pick one up, as soon as lockdowns end.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:33 PM, Jon Cole said:

May I suggest... BIG SCALE. In BIG letters.

Great idea, Jon. While a big box in one's hands in a hobby shop would be very clear, it might not be nearly as clear to people buying one online. IIRC, Atlantis has also acquired some 1:32 Vega funny cars, and I wonder whether they'll offer up a mini elephant, at some point.

atlantis_green_elephant_vega_02.jpg

2 hours ago, Stef said:

Hello Dave, nice box art design you came up with... I'm really vibing on your warm orange-y tones. Haven't gotten around to building any Moebius kits yet; their Hudsons always looked particularly awesome, and I should pick one up, as soon as lockdowns end.

Thanks....the orange was a tip of the hat to the Carolina  red clay that is everywhere!!!! 

17 hours ago, Muncie said:

I don't like adding to the speculation so I'll stick to what I can see...  

The American Racing wheels in the last Revell Hawaiian 1/16 funny car kit were on a new separate tree - the old Revell Cragar Super Tricks were still on the main chrome tree in that kit.  Although the Green Elephant also ran with American wheels, Super Tricks are on the box art.  Cragar wheels are also on the test shot.

Atlantis has said there is a new blower scoop (good news) for the Crower injector - and there it is in the photo of the test shot.  It looks like they are really tuned in.

Looks good to me from just what I can see - I'm in

It was the first image released that had me hoping for the American wheels, but looks like they are just doing an almost straight re-issue of the JJ car, but in green this time. 

aan1494.jpg.fd9ab4db98152fdce7b0a505af8fc08f.jpg

Revell Tires. Hear's a bit of info about my involvement with Revell's kit wheels/tires. Been a 1/16th Drag Race modeling enthusiast for 30 yrs now. Have had many chances to interact with Ed Sexton at Revell over the course of that thirty years. Started slow with personal contact meetings at events like IPMS National Conventions and sometimes a Regional, a Milwaukee NNL event, etc. Communication between myself and Ed progressed over time where I felt I had his ear, (even if that was very limited) and he became interested in the information I wanted to share. Often those disucussions involved what Revell could/can re-issue in 1/6th scale.

I have always hoped that my involvement in encouraging Ed to convince Revell to release more of their 1/16 Drag Race models. More front engine dragsters please, so out comes the Tony Nancy, Beebe & Mulligan, and eventually the California Charger. Prior to each of these releases, I would send Ed some reference materials as well as some more discussion of encouragement to go forward with more releases. Unfortunately, 1/16th scale is esoteric at best and doesn't always equate to a money making venture for Revell like other more common scaled model production runs.

Always planting the bug in Ed's ear, like all the other 16th enthusiasts out there who also voice their likes with Ed especially at public events. We all wanted to see some more parts in these kits. Best scenario would have been a whole new kit using a newly tooled body, like a Cuda or Camaro. Never going to happen, said Ed so many times I quit asking. I found out through some discussions that Revell (Group of individuals who decided what Revell was actually going to produce) wouldn't even cut a new proper Hilborn 4-hole injector and intake scoop for the Beebe and Mulligan kit release. Said it was too expensive to do considering the margin Revell works with on 16th scale kit releases. What a disappointment.

Back to the Tires. Ed contacted me for some info regarding their upcoming release of the new '72 Hawaiian kit. I was very adamant about Revell doing the 71 Hawaiian as Roland Leong repeated his Winternationals win with that car. Ed informed me that there was a need for doing new wheels and tires for this new release. Apparently, the tires that came in those 1/16th Drag kits came from an outside contractor and they were no longer able to provide those tires anymore. This also opened the door for the opportunity do new wheels for the kit as well. BANANZA!!!!!

Ed wanted information about possible sources he could explore during his research. Names started flying off his screen as I replied in earnest for possible contacts. Tom West already has the drawings for those wheels and tires from when he worked at Aurora and he eventually chose Steve Reyes for the box art photo.

Ed knew of my involvement in producing resin parts in 1/16th scale and wondered what I might have. I sent him examples of what I had done as well as some other items acquired from other individuals like Paul Rowe. I also sent him info regarding tire size measurements from that era in drag racing. The previous tires were always undersize for the Funny Car kits so asking for a better, more correct tire would be paramount to this new release. As you all know, when the '72 Hawaiian kit came out, the new wheels and tires that came in the box is what we got.

Now here is the remainder to this info. Revell was going to do another release, only this time that kit would have Halibrand slotted rears and kidney bean fronts. The question that remained was what kit to do that used those wheels. It was a real research challenge because Revell only offered the Vega, Charger, Grand Am and Duster bodies. So finding a race car/team that was using these wheels on their car during this era. Those ET Trick wheels became very popular during the early 70's and that is what comes in these kits. I proposed 2 cars to consider; 1) Braskett & Burgin Vega or 2) Drag-On Vega.

Unfortunately, Revell never got to do this other follow up kit release because of the bankruptcy of Hobbico, which owned Revell at the time. Revell has since been sold off to a German investment group and those 1/16th Drag kit molds have been sold off to Atlantis. Where are those newly tooled tire and wheel molds? I suspect that they reside in China and according to my sources those molds now belong to the Chinese Govt.

So there's my story. Hope it helps in some way.

P.S. Haven't had much contact with Ed in almost a yr now and Atlantis has made no effort to contact me even though Ed said he would pass my name along as a source contact.

Edited by edboys

19 hours ago, edboys said:

Revell Tires. Hear's a bit of info about my involvement with Revell's kit wheels/tires. Been a 1/16th Drag Race modeling enthusiast for 30 yrs now. Have had many chances to interact with Ed Sexton at Revell over the course of that thirty years. Started slow with personal contact meetings at events like IPMS National Conventions and sometimes a Regional, a Milwaukee NNL event, etc. Communication between myself and Ed progressed over time where I felt I had his ear, (even if that was very limited) and he became interested in the information I wanted to share. Often those disucussions involved what Revell could/can re-issue in 1/6th scale.

I have always hoped that my involvement in encouraging Ed to convince Revell to release more of their 1/16 Drag Race models. More front engine dragsters please, so out comes the Tony Nancy, Beebe & Mulligan, and eventually the California Charger. Prior to each of these releases, I would send Ed some reference materials as well as some more discussion of encouragement to go forward with more releases. Unfortunately, 1/16th scale is esoteric at best and doesn't always equate to a money making venture for Revell like other more common scaled model production runs.

Always planting the bug in Ed's ear, like all the other 16th enthusiasts out there who also voice their likes with Ed especially at public events. We all wanted to see some more parts in these kits. Best scenario would have been a whole new kit using a newly tooled body, like a Cuda or Camaro. Never going to happen, said Ed so many times I quit asking. I found out through some discussions that Revell (Group of individuals who decided what Revell was actually going to produce) wouldn't even cut a new proper Hilborn 4-hole injector and intake scoop for the Beebe and Mulligan kit release. Said it was too expensive to do considering the margin Revell works with on 16th scale kit releases. What a disappointment.

Back to the Tires. Ed contacted me for some info regarding their upcoming release of the new '72 Hawaiian kit. I was very adamant about Revell doing the 71 Hawaiian as Roland Leong repeated his Winternationals win with that car. Ed informed me that there was a need for doing new wheels and tires for this new release. Apparently, the tires that came in those 1/16th Drag kits came from an outside contractor and they were no longer able to provide those tires anymore. This also opened the door for the opportunity do new wheels for the kit as well. BANANZA!!!!!

Ed wanted information about possible sources he could explore during his research. Names started flying off his screen as I replied in earnest for possible contacts. Tom West already has the drawings for those wheels and tires from when he worked at Aurora and he eventually chose Steve Reyes for the box art photo.

Ed knew of my involvement in producing resin parts in 1/16th scale and wondered what I might have. I sent him examples of what I had done as well as some other items acquired from other individuals like Paul Rowe. I also sent him info regarding tire size measurements from that era in drag racing. The previous tires were always undersize for the Funny Car kits so asking for a better, more correct tire would be paramount to this new release. As you all know, when the '72 Hawaiian kit came out, the new wheels and tires that came in the box is what we got.

Now here is the remainder to this info. Revell was going to do another release, only this time that kit would have Halibrand slotted rears and kidney bean fronts. The question that remained was what kit to do that used those wheels. It was a real research challenge because Revell only offered the Vega, Charger, Grand Am and Duster bodies. So finding a race car/team that was using these wheels on their car during this era. Those ET Trick wheels became very popular during the early 70's and that is what comes in these kits. I proposed 2 cars to consider; 1) Braskett & Burgin Vega or 2) Drag-On Vega.

Unfortunately, Revell never got to do this other follow up kit release because of the bankruptcy of Hobbico, which owned Revell at the time. Revell has since been sold off to a German investment group and those 1/16th Drag kit molds have been sold off to Atlantis. Where are those newly tooled tire and wheel molds? I suspect that they reside in China and according to my sources those molds now belong to the Chinese Govt.

So there's my story. Hope it helps in some way.

P.S. Haven't had much contact with Ed in almost a yr now and Atlantis has made no effort to contact me even though Ed said he would pass my name along as a source contact.

Thanks for the Info, Mark! Glad to hear from you again as well! 

I know that the dreaded tires where originally made in Japan, and oddly included aircraft tires in later issues, and apparently due to rising cost, they became a cost prohibitive issue. How much water that holds, I don't know and will credit to the rumor mill. Why Revell didn't make the tires more correct in this go round is beyond me, and now I am curious as to what they are going to be issuing in the upcoming re-release. 

Tom West told me that Aurora abandoned their tire molds in Canada and may still exists, but who would know that? 

Let's see what the Atlantis solution is for all this, should be interesting. 

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

I know that the dreaded tires where originally made in Japan, and oddly included aircraft tires in later issues, and apparently due to rising cost, they became a cost prohibitive issue. How much water that holds, I don't know and will credit to the rumor mill.

I specifically asked Ed Sexton about the ,made-in-Japan tires in at the NNL Milwaukee either right after or shortly before the 2014 reissue of the Hawaiian Charger F/C/. He stated the facility in Japan at which the tires (and slicks, blower belts) were molded was destroyed by the March 2011 Fukushima earthquake/tsunami, hence the need for all new tires and matching wheels.

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Tom West told me that Aurora abandoned their tire molds in Canada and may still exists, but who would know that?

I think we touched on this before, and B&B Tool and Mold Ltd. was the company (or at least the remnant of the previous company?) at which MPC had their mold work done, and maybe Aurora, too? Can't recall the specifics, but there's the topic:

Here's a link to a 2008(!) article on B&B Tool & Mold (Mould?), for reference:

https://www.thestar.com/business/2008/12/17/tooling_firms_plead_for_auto_aid.html

Looks like the existing two-piece injector scoop on this build up. That center decals stripe, where it crests the center bulge, will be a challenge to lay down flat:

Atlantis116GreenElephant1.jpg.f81f140a401ba58b2f3108eed7b2eb9f.jpg

Edited by Casey

Jesse Chavez - still have any of my resin engines?

My knowledge is that Atlantis has people working on the issue of making new tires. However, it is my personal hope that the new tires won't be a 90's or newer style slick put on a 70's FC. Everybody hates those old kit slicks that came in the kits. I would fill them with a foam donut to ensure a proper inflated look as well as to keep them from collapsing.

Here's another concern: If Atlantis makes a new slick for the 16th scale kits and this is seen in the new Elephant FC kit release, are they also going to use the same slick for say the FE dragster kits. Cause that would be inappropriate for use on the FE kits. Garlits brought the inovative RE dragster to the scene in '71 right around the same time the Slicks were undergoing a lot changes. Do a google search and compare the size of the slicks used in 67-69 and then those on RE dragsters after 71.

So, will Atlantis make the same decision that Revell did and run with a one-size fits all approach or give us 2 different slicks to better represent the eras that these kits deserve. Revell did it to conserve on costs. Afterall, it would cost Atlantis more to produce 2 different slicks, having to produce 2 molds that will equally fit into the production process. We will have to wait and see.

Jesse Chavez - been a long time since YahooGroups. I moved over to Facebook's Dedicated to the Preservation of Drag Racing Models. I check in periodically here to keep abreast of things. Good to hear you are still around.

4 hours ago, edboys said:

Jesse Chavez - still have any of my resin engines?

My knowledge is that Atlantis has people working on the issue of making new tires. However, it is my personal hope that the new tires won't be a 90's or newer style slick put on a 70's FC. Everybody hates those old kit slicks that came in the kits. I would fill them with a foam donut to ensure a proper inflated look as well as to keep them from collapsing.

Here's another concern: If Atlantis makes a new slick for the 16th scale kits and this is seen in the new Elephant FC kit release, are they also going to use the same slick for say the FE dragster kits. Cause that would be inappropriate for use on the FE kits. Garlits brought the inovative RE dragster to the scene in '71 right around the same time the Slicks were undergoing a lot changes. Do a google search and compare the size of the slicks used in 67-69 and then those on RE dragsters after 71.

So, will Atlantis make the same decision that Revell did and run with a one-size fits all approach or give us 2 different slicks to better represent the eras that these kits deserve. Revell did it to conserve on costs. Afterall, it would cost Atlantis more to produce 2 different slicks, having to produce 2 molds that will equally fit into the production process. We will have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, edboys said:

Jesse Chavez - been a long time since YahooGroups. I moved over to Facebook's Dedicated to the Preservation of Drag Racing Models. I check in periodically here to keep abreast of things. Good to hear you are still around.

Hey Mark! Yes, I still have all the resin goodies in my model room, just waiting to finish my 1:1 Project before I get to some serious model building and can finally put those engines and parts to good use! 

I am leery of getting on facebook, but might have to since there is some cool stuff going on there. Yeah, I do miss the Yahoo Groups a bit, but I am glad you guys kept it going somewhere else,

Don't be a stranger! 

Atlantis116GreenElephant1.jpg.f81f140a401ba58b2f3108eed7b2eb9f.jpg

Eagle-eyed member Old Dragger over on Spotlight noticed something, (and others may have too)

Look what just happens to be under the 57 Chevy...and what looks like a Frame parts pack tree just to the right?

Also see the end of a BADMAN box on the shelf?

Edited by Mr. Metallic

17 hours ago, edboys said:

I'd bet on one size fits all.  Tires are relatively costly to tool.  Not sure about 1/16 scale, but a typical 1/25 scale tire tool might produce two dozen of the same tire in one shot.

That's not to say that Atlantis might cut tooling to produce two types of tires at once, then schedule kit production to, say, have "both" types of kit in the catalog at the same time, to use all of the tires produced. 

They could also bag the sets of tires not needed at the time, and drop them into kits produced later on.

Edited by Mark
Info

New updated Ship Dates:

H1494 Green Elephant Funny Car Mid May
M2006 '69 Nova Late May
M2004 '82 Camaro Late May
H1244 '57 Cadillac Brougham Mid May

Our next batch of kits to come:

1/24 Unreal Roller
1/24 Groovy Grader
1/24 '57 Tom McEwen Funny Car
1/24 1926 Mack Bulldog Logging Truck

1 hour ago, Rbray47 said:

I'm interested in their 1/32 Camaro and Nova. Does anyone know anything about them?

They are lower parts count snap-together type kits, created by Monogram in the early '80s. Typical of Monogram kits from that era, you should expect one-piece or molded in place front suspension, simplified (but separate) rear suspension, and simplified (but separate) engines and opening hoods. Basically, they are a slight step above a promo style kit with molded in everything and molded shut hoods, but a parts count in the 50s or so.

From the '84 Monogram catalog:

Monogram1984Catalog2-vi.jpg

Here's a decent look at the parts breakdown for the Nova kit:

132nova.jpg.aaae0dfa225cb4ed39994c7ce1c26b27.jpg

132nova2.jpg.70977ae58e20122edb8a210a1eeb9baa.jpg

Edited by Casey

7 hours ago, Casey said:

They are lower parts count snap-together type kits, created by Monogram in the early '80s. Typical of Monogram kits from that era, you should expect one-piece or molded in place front suspension, simplified (but separate) rear suspension, and simplified (but separate) engines and opening hoods. Basically, they are a slight step above a promo style kit with molded in everything and molded shut hoods, but a parts count in the 50s or so.

From the '84 Monogram catalog:

Monogram1984Catalog2-vi.jpg

Here's a decent look at the parts breakdown for the Nova kit:

132nova.jpg.aaae0dfa225cb4ed39994c7ce1c26b27.jpg

132nova2.jpg.70977ae58e20122edb8a210a1eeb9baa.jpg

Thanks!

I think I'll buy them when they're out. Looks like a fun change of pace.