Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMSA Porsche RSR 3.0

17 hours ago, Gary Davis said:

Hey JC...I'm building the Marty Robbin's 34 ford 5 window Modified that's on the cover of the "DEVIL WOMAN" album in 1962. That album and 1 pic I found on the net is the only pics I have of the car, for reference. But....I was around racing (dirt) in the 60's and with helping on the local scene, I can get a facksimily(sp?) of his car. I've got most of the fab work finished. Now, It's getting close to primer time.  Thank you for asking JC!

Do you have it posted on the MCM forum?  Would love to follow the build.  My introduction to racing was at a dirt track - Jennerstown Speedway in PA, it's a paved oval now.  The Ford dealership my father worked at sponsored a local driver, LJ Dennis in Rainbow 7.

Jennerstown Speedway Complex

Edited by afx

13 hours ago, afx said:

Do you have it posted on the MCM forum?  Would love to follow the build.  My introduction to racing was at a dirt track - Jennerstown Speedway in PA, it's a paved oval now.  The Ford dealership my father worked at sponsored a local driver, LJ Dennis in Rainbow 7.

Jennerstown Speedway Complex

No JC...I haven't posted the build anywhere..so far. I do like Jennerstown Speedway when the Wheelen Modifides run there.

The ISMA Super Modifides along with the SK, SMART & Wheelen Modifides are my ALL time favorite asphalt cars. The Asphalt Silver Crown, Midgets and Sprint cars at Winchester and IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park) are super fast. It's just flat cool!

2 hours ago, Gary Davis said:

No JC...I haven't posted the build anywhere..so far. I do like Jennerstown Speedway when the Wheelen Modifides run there.

The ISMA Super Modifides along with the SK, SMART & Wheelen Modifides are my ALL time favorite asphalt cars. The Asphalt Silver Crown, Midgets and Sprint cars at Winchester and IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park) are super fast. It's just flat cool!

Haven't been to Jennerstown since 2015.    The modified are very cool, haven't had the chance to see them live.

You should post your project I and I'm sure others would enjoy seeing it.

20150725 202208

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

This is really looking great, JC. Extra nice work with the injection! I must really like the RSRs. I have a built Monogram curbside kit and a mint one in the box, I bought fairly recently.

Thanks Daniel.  I like the RSR as well.  Need to get back to work on this one too.

DSCN7234

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Great clean build. Sits just right too. Have you seen the Singer 934/5 that they just debuted? It's a knockout!

Thanks Jason.  I had not seen the Singer 943/5, just searched it.  It is sharp!

Singer unveils stunning 934/5-inspired DLS Turbo - Sadeaalaradio

More refined than the original.

1977 Porsche 934.5 Imsa Gt Photograph by Dave Koontz

Edited by afx

I've been working on a plan to do another RSR 3.0 with a more European flair something along these lines.

PORSCHE SCENE | Features: Porsche Carrera RSR 3.0 (1974), Daten und Fakten

I've been studying the Nitto/Tilt et al version of the RSR Turbo thinking I could convert it into a RSR 3.0.  Gramps46 was kind enough to help me out with my search for a kit, he even sent along a built-up version which I have been using as a test mule for my ideas.

20230531_185027.jpg.8e01b85ca838a2402423117a8be755cf.jpg

So I dove into what I believe would be the most challenging part of the conversion, the rear window/ boot area.  If I failed at this portion I could set the project aside knowing I tried.

• I removed the rear window and molded in engine cover/wing support
  • Removed the panel I need from a scrap Fujimi 911 body
  • And slow shaped the two to fit

DSCN9186DSCN9187DSCN9190

I'm encouraged to continue.:)

Edited by afx
  • Like 4

Man that silver body looks so so good with the huge flares. I don't know much about these 911 derivatives. I only have a yet to build Tamiya 934 and it does not look as extreme as this. Thought I would just do an OOB but that's a bit easy right?

Happy to se you back on the bench JC. I love the stuff you come up with.

Something I love about the 911… there are so many kits and aftermarket bits in 1/24 over the years that we can all be our own extreme variant builders and restomodders. More or less anything Kremer or Ruf or Singer or Sharkwerks can do in 1:1, we can have fun with on our benches. And we can do things they wouldn’t dream of because of, err… engineering, or legality!

Have at it, my friend.

best,

M

On 7/7/2023 at 7:48 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Man that silver body looks so so good with the huge flares. I don't know much about these 911 derivatives. I only have a yet to build Tamiya 934 and it does not look as extreme as this. Thought I would just do an OOB but that's a bit easy right?

Happy to se you back on the bench JC. I love the stuff you come up with.

I have hard time building anything OOB and I'm sure you are the same Pierre.:)

On 7/7/2023 at 1:55 PM, Matt Bacon said:

Something I love about the 911… there are so many kits and aftermarket bits in 1/24 over the years that we can all be our own extreme variant builders and restomodders. More or less anything Kremer or Ruf or Singer or Sharkwerks can do in 1:1, we can have fun with on our benches. And we can do things they wouldn’t dream of because of, err… engineering, or legality!

Have at it, my friend.

best,

M

Thanks Matt.  Porsche pushed the envelope in many different directions with the 911 and I enjoy them all.

Picked up the new tool Revell 911, the chassis fits the RSR body very well with minimal modifications.

DSCN9198

Modified the interior for a stripped down racer look.

DSCN9199

Edited by afx
  • Like 2