Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model kits recommendations

Yes that's true, it's an American forum after all and most American car kits has opening hood and detailed engines.
There are other car kits from Asian manufacturers but many of them don't have any engine detail or opening hood, Revell Germany has some non American subjects as well.
So it depends on what you are after.

There's lots of them out there.  Too many to list, actually.  I know Heller, and Airfix both offer car kits with full engine detail, as does Revell Germany.

What subjects you're interested in would help a lot.   Just sticking to that are on the shelves right now, here's a few with what I think are particularly nice engine compartments that should still be in stores.

1948 Ford (Revell)

1930 Bentley (Revell, Heller)

1950 Talbot-Lago T.26 (Heller)

1957 Chrystler 300C (AMT)

1956 Chrysler 300B (Moebius)

There's a million of 'em!

It just depends on what you like.

A few of my "modern" kit picks.

AMT 1960 Ford Starliner.

AMT 1967 Chevrolet Impala

Lindberg/AMT 1953 Ford Victoria.

Revell/Monogram 1959/'60 Chevy Impala.

Revell/Monogram 1965/'66 Chevrolet Impala.

Revell/ Monogram 1955/'57 Chevrolet Belair convertible

Revell/Monogram 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz/Seville.

Absolutely anything from Moebius!

Steve

17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

There's lots of them out there.  Too many to list, actually.  I know Heller, and Airfix both offer car kits with full engine detail, as does Revell Germany.

What subjects you're interested in would help a lot.   Just sticking to that are on the shelves right now, here's a few with what I think are particularly nice engine compartments that should still be in stores.

1948 Ford (Revell)

1930 Bentley (Revell, Heller)

1950 Talbot-Lago T.26 (Heller)

1957 Chrystler 300C (AMT)

1956 Chrysler 300B (Moebius)

I am more interested in jdm, german cars, but I will have to build few of old american cars, since their colours and engines look great

Most of the Tamiya kits are good but the downside is that many don't have opening hoods and detailed engines, but the ones who do are very good.
I like the BMW 635 above and there is a Mercedes 500 SEC in a couple of versions with engine, their Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing is very good, the SLR McLaren is a nice kit, many of their Porsches and other LeMans kits has detailed engines, and Exotic kits like Ferrari's and some others have engine detail.
Hasegawa and Fujimi has some nice full detail kits, Revell Germany, Italeri and Heller has some.
So it's just a matter of doing research on the kit you are interested in and see if it's full detail or curbside, there is lots of information on several websites and forums for many of these kits.

Edited by Force

5 hours ago, Rodent said:

If you want to do an American car, try the Revell '68 Chevelle SS396. It has fewer issues than the '69 (bumper fit) and I believe that it is available from RoG.

Well Revell is owned by a German company these days, the company was bought after the Hobbico bankruptcy 2018.

14 hours ago, Force said:

Well Revell is owned by a German company these days, the company was bought after the Hobbico bankruptcy 2018.

Yeah, somewhat incomplete thought. What I really meant was that I have seen pictures of the '68 in a RoG box and it may be easier for him to get one in Europe than some of the other US vehicles.

7 hours ago, GeeBee said:

One problem tho, cuz now that the UK left the EU,  import taxes made a return.

Here's a good Belgian store (online & brick and mortar)

Domino.be - model making at its best (dominomodel.com)

9 hours ago, Force said:

Could be, but at least where I live we can get most of the US offerings too, not only the German boxed stuff

Håkan, I am really happy to hear that. RoG seems to be kicking stuff to the US as well. Happy news for the hobby.