Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Camaro Z-28

ModelcarJR

This build has a somewhat long story.  I had an earlier issue of this kit that was molded in light blue plastic and could only be built with the blower engine with a hood that had a cut in it for the carb air intakes. So I didn't want to build that style and went out and bought another issue of that kit with a solid hood and standard 302 engine.  So I still have all the other parts and now am trying to put another build together. I used the light blue body on the other build as I had already started making changes to the body based on some advice from Snake 45. So now I am going to build the rest of this kit and will have to substitute some pieces from the parts box. 

I started by trying to find another hood as I already used the solid hood from the second purchase. I tried the Revell 69 Camaro hood but it is too small. Then I remembered that I still had some pieces from the MPC 69 Camaro Convertible (the worst kit ever). I still have the hood from this kit although the body was smashed to pieces years ago! I have since become a more patient modeler. So the convertible hood from this kit with a 1/16" trim on the front fits pretty well.

So I went about making the body changes suggested by Snake 45. Removing the lip or extra chrome trim on the top of the door and quarter window, sanding and flattening the trim on the rear window trim, scribing in the panel lines on the "orchid" between the rear window and the trunk, and also on the bottom of the front of each door. Now, all I need to do is find the parts for the top end of the engine, exhaust manifold and exhaust system, driveshaft (I don't know why that is missing), and a new windshield as the one I have has the rear view mirror outline molded into the clear glass.  So here are some photos of progress:

enhance

enhance

All body changes made,  front and rear pans and spoiler attached, water bottle taped off for paint:

enhance

Previous build:

enhance

enhance 

6 minutes ago, ModelcarJR said:

So I went about making the body changes suggested by Snake 45. Removing the lip or extra chrome trim on the top of the door and quarter window, sanding and flattening the trim on the rear window trim, scribing in the panel lines on the "orchid" between the rear window and the trunk, and also on the bottom of the front of each door.

B):D I couldn't be more proud! 

Looks like you did the mods on the Rally Green one, too. If this build comes out as well as that one did, it too should be spectacular. Drive on! B)

Thanks, Snake and Bill! I appreciate your comments!

I don't want to jinx this build but today I think I did my best paint job ever! I don't think I will have to rub this one out! I know Huggar Orange is a 69 color, not a 68 color, but since I have a 69 hood, I'm calling this a 68 wannabe a 69!  Two coats of Testors Huggar Orange spray can and two coats of Krylon Clear Lacquer about 15 minutes apart outside. Its about 70 degrees today and a little breezy but OK on my patio. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

Your hood is perfectly correct for a '68 SS396. The '68 SS350 used the same hood as the '67 SS (350 or 396) All Camaro used that hood in '69. 

The non-factory paint gives you a perfect excuse to upgrade the wheels and tires, hint hint. Day Two! Drive on! B)

Thanks, Jason! I am a veteran of the cold weather, having grown up in Indianapolis for 32 years where the weather can be very cold. No, I am not from Texas but I got here as soon as I could! 

Thanks, Snake! I have a Chevy 396 in a 67 Camaro SS kit but I am not going to use it. So I have an extra 350 from the 70 1/2 Z-28 Camaro that is smaller in size than the engine that is in the 68 kit that is suppose to be a 302. I am just trying to build something out of a kit that is incomplete so this will definitely be a "Day Two" car. I do have some Cragar wheels and two Mickey Thompson treaded racing tires for the rear. 

I was disappointed  when the paint dried that the top of the fenders and cowl has a bleed-through of the gray primer underneath on the edges (Don't know if you can see it in the first picture). I have since repainted this area and it looks much better, but I will have to wait for clear. My wife has some sinus issues this morning and I can't bring it into the house before it dries. I am afraid that it will blush. I've also chosen to paint the interior Flame Red and dullcoted. Usually, red is used with a black or white exterior, and I am not sure this would ever be seen in an orange car. I don't like black and orange as it looks too much like Halloween to me. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

I love the Hugger Orange Camaro. My personal '69 Camaro was this color but with the standard black interior. Your interior in this kit is the Custom Interior. This could be had in Vinyl or with cloth seat inserts. The Hounds Tooth inserts in black and white with the black colored interior might be a consideration and then the interior wouldn't look like a deep hole. Your Green '68 Z-28 really looks good also. 

Thanks, David! I appreciate your comment!

Its been several days since I posted because when I tape off the hood area to paint the inner fender liners and firewall I had a tape mistake. I had to repaint the cowl, re-clear which caused me to re-clear the entire body which then blushed. I cleared it again and ran back into the house with it and finally got it rubbed out the next day. I think I recovered but it was a few days of work rubbing it out and then foiling the body. I think the red interior will go OK with the body so I am on to completing the chassis and engine to get to the assembly stage. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

54 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Hugger Orange with red interior --- unique , and likely a real possibility . 

If you'd pay for it, Chevy would build it. I read once of a patriotic GI who came back from Nam and special-ordered his '69 Camaro with blue paint and red interior--or the other way around, I can't remember--and a white top. It came through that way, too. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

If you'd pay for it, Chevy would build it. I read once of a patriotic GI who came back from Nam and special-ordered his '69 Camaro with blue paint and red interior--or the other way around, I can't remember--and a white top. It came through that way, too. 

Sounds like the early 2nd gen Trans Ams optioned out with red interior, white paint and blue stripes - very patriotic!

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd love to see that car ( if it still exists ) . Was the white top painted or vinyl ? I also wonder if the paint was special ordered , or if it was a Chevrolet colour ? I could see Grotto Blue (or was is Danube Blue ? ) with red interior .

* According to the revised 1969 Camaro brochure , the blue shades were : Glacier , Le Mans , or Dusk . The aforementioned were either earlier , or were Nova shades ( same colour , different nomenclature ?) * 

Edited by 1972coronet
Additional Information

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'd love to see that car ( if it still exists ) . Was the white top painted or vinyl ? I also wonder if the paint was special ordered , or if it was a Chevrolet colour ? I could see Grotto Blue (or was is Danube Blue ? ) with red interior .

* According to the revised 1969 Camaro brochure , the blue shades were : Glacier , Le Mans , or Dusk . The aforementioned were either earlier , or were Nova shades ( same colour , different nomenclature ?) * 

I can't remember the particulars at this time. I THINK it might have been LeMans blue.  I don't remember if the top was painted or vinyl. 

I agree with you that Dusk Blue with the red interior would be the least eye-jarring possibility. 

My own '69 SS350/RS was Glacier Blue with a white painted top. I read in some reference somewhere that painted tops were not available with SS, or maybe it was RS, but I know better because I owned one. 

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

All '67 SSs and '68 SS350 were the same. '68 SS396 and all '69 SSs are the same. 

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

There are 2 First Gen Camaro SS hoods. The 1967 SS hood and the 1968-69 SS hood. The engine size is irrelevant. The 1967 SS hood was never factory equipment on any 1968 Camaro.

18 minutes ago, Cowpunk said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

There are 2 First Gen Camaro SS hoods. The 1967 SS hood and the 1968-69 SS hood. The engine size is irrelevant. The 1967 SS hood was never factory equipment on any 1968 Camaro.

Huh. I have references that say otherwise. 

Maybe it was just early '68s, like those that carried the '67 type nose stripes. 

http://davidsclassiccars.com/chevrolet/172259-original-paint-rare-factory-options-property-of-a-lady-.html

Here's another one: 

Z0PYfnVyuO3ZJQ9vtmWz3cXdP5u0z6KKrXD851wc

Edited by Snake45

30 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Huh. I have references that say otherwise. 

The "References' you are referring to base their claims of 2 different 1968 Camaro Hoods on the First printing of the 1968 Camaro Dealer Brochure. Sometimes factory literature is wrong at the First printing and gets corrected with the Second printing.

First PIC is a factory picture of a 1965 Malibu SS with lower quarter panel moldings that never happened.

Second PIC Original 1966 Pontiac GTO material pictured a 8-Lug drum & wheel option that never happened. Search the YouTube title in the PIC

Third is a virgin 1968 Camaro SS 350 - http://classiccardb.com/chevrolet/255018-1968-camaro-ss-rs-350-4sp-barn-find-original-drivetrain-tach-amp-gauges-deluxe-int.html

478833868_1965ChevelleSSquartermoldings.jpg.a8b2b53fa64c0c43a6c2d4544f829474.jpg

831000384_1966GTO8Lugs.png.932cdd403609b47af6bc4adf316ea149.png

1001010059_1968CamaroSS350Virgin.jpg.22d0d5027ef21d4010c863061bc6c679.jpg

11 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

As I said, maybe an early production thing. 

Fine. I can finish it. I have the 1974 printing of the Chevrolet Parts and Accessories Catalog. The exact same publication that the franchised dealers used before they went to microfiche.

Gimme a few days. I have other priorities at the moment.

Thanks, All! I appreciate the comments and discussion!

Let's just say this is a "Day Two" car and it is on wheels! The wheels look OK although I would have liked the rear wheel forward just a bit more. Still have the hardware and decals to apply, not to mention shortening the tailpipes that came from a Revell 69 Camaro. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance