Model Cars Magazine Forum

dull paint made glossy?

Yes, just clearcoat it. The Model Master lacquer system was based on flat basecoats with clear glosses. 

About 30 years ago I painted this Camaro with Model Master military Flat Interior Green 34151 and clearcoated it with Model Master Clear Top Coat enamel. Came out fine. 

70Camaro2.jpg.4edd40ffe7d134c2bebeb4862217e292.jpg

To expand on what Snake said; gloss clear, wet sand and polish will make her shine. Testors Wet Look clear and Model Master work great over Tamiya paints. A word of caution, though, I’ve never had any success spraying Tamiya products over Model Master products. The following builds were all Tamiya AS (dull) lacquers with Testors Wet Look clear. The Galaxie and Imperial got a coat of Tamiya Pearl Clear between the paint and gloss clear.

edit: the Porsche is the AS-29 Gray Green you mentioned in your original post.

E8D0F9CD-DB02-4BC8-B6C7-97112CE6093D.jpeg

F5B01269-D6F9-44D4-9A4C-ABE06ED672AC.jpeg

8A72CF8C-1659-4B16-8D6E-ECC54B1E5CBE.jpeg

7B1C74E5-A5C5-4CB1-A3F2-2A126CD82D53.jpeg

Edited by BeakDoc

Thanks for asking the question. I am partway through the same dilemma. Thinned my paint too much and it came out flat. Toothbrushed the entire body the remove the dryness. Paint is dull but smooth. Tried Wet Look clear on the hood but overapplication required removal of the clear lacquer from the enamel base color. Fortunately 91% alcohol removed the clear without affecting the orange enamel. I am going to take the safe route and use Future clear as I know there will not be any issues.

68 Shelby hood painted..JPG

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I would recommend using TS-13 over the AS-29. I've also sprayed a coat of TS-65 clear pearl over AS-29 and followed with TS-13. It's hard to capture the effect in photos. But, it looks really nice in person. 

49728218963_234968102f_c.jpg

Same color. No pearl.

50397806891_bccb667118_c.jpg

hmm. if this is as29, its not the color i thought it was, this looks gray. im looking for a mint green type color.  this is what i saw online and thought it was mint green. 

top.jpg

this is the color im going for

1968-ford-f100-ivy-green-with-wimbledon-

Edited by youpey

3 hours ago, youpey said:

hmm. if this is as29, its not the color i thought it was, this looks gray. im looking for a mint green type color.  this is what i saw online and thought it was mint green. 

top.jpg

this is the color im going for

1968-ford-f100-ivy-green-with-wimbledon-

Miles, it's pretty close actually. Not exact by no means. But, the difference is partially in the lighting. My models are in the shade. The full scale is in the sun. If the sun were out today, I could take a photo. But, it's raining.

What I do when picking a color, I Google it and click on images. It'll always pull up some models painted that color and you can see exactly what it looks like.

Color of the primer could also change it a bit. My models are both over gray. White primer may get it right where you want.