Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Ramp Truck

Well I got a whole case of 16, I better start opening all them tomorrow with fingers crossed 🤞,I only got one 1968 f-250 and the hood is terrible. I won't jump to buy anymore moebius kits until I see all the reviews next time. For what we pay for these kits now you should not have to be running parts under hot water to build them. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 10:12 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Caught it how? Moebius uses a 3rd Party Chinese factory just like everyone else (save SJR) and the run is done all at once and then shipped over. Clearly no one was manning the QC station and/or knew what to look for, so now you have several thousand kits over here with some level of problems that are being discovered as they go along. 

It would be easy to go on a Anti-China tangent. But even Salvinos JR making kits in California isn't immune. They just figured out that no one who got the July KoTM (the #11 Dodge Charger with the new flathood) or who purchased it on their website and got a kit as part of the early shipments received the metal axle you need for the rear end. The #28 Tuflon LeMans kits all have a sizable tooling defect on the front fenders that no one noticed in QC until it was mentioned to them when we got our kits.

QC is an attention to detail job, and usually there are known issues with a tool that you're specifically looking to make sure aren't in defect...which can mean you're overlooking an entire other defect(s) that isn't supposed to be happening.

With respect to this post and to Steve's post directly after James' comment, let's not forget to include Revell in our rant. 

I bought five of the reissue of the '30A 5W Hot Rod, all from differing retailing/distribution sources, and at different times. 

I found that not only did the retooled '32 Highboy frame have multiple surfaces that were not polished after the EDM tooling process, but that the feed points for the frame were relocated vs. the original tooling in such a way that when combined with either removing the parts from the tool too quickly or as a result of polybagging the parts before they were fully cooled, of the five kits, only one had a '32 frame that was not warped.  Two others had a frame that would be usable with some builder tweaking, the other two were not usable at all.  I've not seen any other forum comments on the lack of polished surfaces, but fortunately sounds like most others who bought the reissue kits did not see the level of frame warping that I did.  But still....  TB

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thatz4u said:

I emailed customer service, no reply yet...

I requested replacement parts over a month ago. I emailed them for a status on my parts, and they responded a few days later saying that they will send the parts when they get them, maybe in Sept.

I think they should rip open every kit they have until they find one with good parts, and send them out ASAP. Maybe they can't find one with good parts.

6 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I think they should rip open every kit they have until they find one with good parts, and send them out ASAP. Maybe they can't find one with good parts.

I don't think "they" have any as Model King kits are sent directly to Dave Burkett and he distributes them. Given what a hyped and desirable kit this was I doubt Dave has much if any stock laying around that isn't his own vendor supply 

Edited by niteowl7710

I emailed them as well, have not had a response , if they don’t have replacement parts available yet, I understand, but at least reply to me about it and possibly offer a time frame for replacement parts, that’s all I ask.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbill said:

I emailed them as well, have not had a response , if they don’t have replacement parts available yet, I understand, but at least reply to me about it and possibly offer a time frame for replacement parts, that’s all I ask.

Absolutely agree!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm late to the game on this kit, completely forgot about it tbh.  I see that there's a lot of issues with warpage, so, I have two questions for anyone that has the kit. 

1) what is the cab to axle measurement for this kit?  The kit looks a little long and I'm suspecting something around 108".  

2) Are more kits going to be released?  I'm only finding the kits at Model Roundup, so...I'm really hoping that more will be released in the future.  

I build fire trucks and ambulances, so the issues with the warped racers wedge don't bother me.  I'm a little tired of stretching chassis for longer rigs, so I'm happy to see this one finally released.  I can throw on another cab if the warpage is too bad, but as long as the chassis is straight and there are 1 ton wheels, I'll be good to go.

37 minutes ago, explorer2770 said:

Okay, I'm late to the game on this kit, completely forgot about it tbh.  I see that there's a lot of issues with warpage, so, I have two questions for anyone that has the kit. 

1) what is the cab to axle measurement for this kit?  The kit looks a little long and I'm suspecting something around 108".  

2) Are more kits going to be released?  I'm only finding the kits at Model Roundup, so...I'm really hoping that more will be released in the future.  

I build fire trucks and ambulances, so the issues with the warped racers wedge don't bother me.  I'm a little tired of stretching chassis for longer rigs, so I'm happy to see this one finally released.  I can throw on another cab if the warpage is too bad, but as long as the chassis is straight and there are 1 ton wheels, I'll be good to go.

Check out Wes's Model Corner, great service and prices.

https://wesmodelcarcorner.myshopify.com/products/pre-order-expected-delivery-1st-quarter-2022-moebius-1967-ford-f-350-ramptruck?_pos=1&_psq=ramp&_ss=e&_v=1.0

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tbill said:

Still nothing yet, will have to contact them again……

I've been waiting for over 2 months for replacement parts now. It won't do any good to contact them again, they just say that you're on the list, and they will send the parts when they get them. 

I'm pretty sure that this is the last Moebius kit that I'll ever buy. Their customer service seems to be just as warped as their overpriced kits.

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Plus, with the demand for parts, it's very possible they've run out and need to do another production run.

For the ramp beds, most likely the reason.

For the warped hoods, they could open other kits if they wanted to, but then they are rendered un-sellable.

37 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

For the warped hoods, they [Moebius] could open other kits if they wanted to, but then they are rendered un-sellable.

I know nothing about the business end of how any organisation works in regard to "write-offs" and production "losses"; and concurrently I don't understand why Moebuis et al. couldn't send out the incomplete kits to hobby shops to be sold at a steep discount. In my untrained opinion, that makes more sense than relegating the remaining 99% of the kit to scrap or the dumpster. I suspect that there's some tax code involved, in addition to the logistics in organising and sending out the incomplete kits to retaillers.  

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I know nothing about the business end of how any organisation works in regard to "write-offs" and production "losses"; and concurrently I don't understand why Moebuis et al. couldn't send out the incomplete kits to hobby shops to be sold at a steep discount. In my untrained opinion, that makes more sense than relegating the remaining 99% of the kit to scrap or the dumpster. I suspect that there's some tax code involved, in addition to the logistics in organising and sending out the incomplete kits to retaillers.  

I would imagine in a case like that, if they did part out kits, the rest of each kit would be sorted, and each tree would be saved for replacement of like trees that have defects/issues.  I’m in a position of not wanting to build the kit yet, I have many others I can build in the mean time, my only complaint really is this, if you as the company know it’s going to be a month or so to send a replacement part, just be upfront and let me know it’ll be awhile , I’m an adult, I’ll understand, just let me know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

They can't for the very reason many have stated about the defects in the first place- the kit would be unbuildable. How willing would you be to purchase a kit with it missing key components? It's one thing if optional parts are not there, but the hood and ramp bed? Even at half price it is asking a lot of a buyer to accept something like that.

In cases where a defect is this widespread they might also be trying to charge these kits back to the manufacturer. If that's the case they can't both get their money back from the injection molding contractor and sell the kits, even at a discount. It's a tax thing where charged back items have to be destroyed, selling them or even giving them away can get you into trouble. 

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

They can't for the very reason many have stated about the defects in the first place- the kit would be unbuildable. How willing would you be to purchase a kit with it missing key components? It's one thing if optional parts are not there, but the hood and ramp bed? Even at half price it is asking a lot of a buyer to accept something like that.

I paid over 40 bucks for a kit that is unbuildable. THIS ONE!

• Like 1