Model Cars Magazine Forum

Filtering out a forum topic.

• 3 months later...

Just looked to see if a way to filter out topics like off topic and still no option. We really need a way to filter because of the proliferation of silly games and and the endless celebrity obits. I'm sure I'm not the only person that comes for the modeling portion and doesn't want to wade through the posts to find what I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this to filter. I use a similar method to view the forums every time I visit. I did test it by eliminating the Off-Topic forums, and it doesn't show the Off-Topic, um, topics. 

Activity > My Activity Streams > Create New Stream
Give it a title. Whatever you want, no one will see it.
Content Types > Topics > Hit the down arrow on the right.
A Narrow by Forums selection box will appear. Pull down the arrow in that.
Select all the Forums you want to see. When done, click outside the box. All forums you selected will be listed.
Save Changes in the lower right corner.

To use it, select Activity > My Activity Streams > name of your new activity. 

You can also edit/change it when you have the activity selected. There will be several boxes just below the name of the activity at the top of the screen.

You can have several activities saved, and use them whenever you like.

Edited by SSNJim

On 9/7/2021 at 12:20 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

We really need a way to filter because of the proliferation of silly games and and the endless celebrity obits. I'm sure I'm not the only person that comes for the modeling portion and doesn't want to wade through the posts to find what I want.

If you don't use the "unread content" option, you can choose to read whichever topics you wish, without ever encountering any you don't. Just use the "Mark forum read" each time you depart, then new topics since your last visit will show up in bold. Why chose an option which includes areas of the forum you have no interest in reading?

13 hours ago, Casey said:

If you don't use the "unread content" option, you can choose to read whichever topics you wish, without ever encountering any you don't. Just use the "Mark forum read" each time you depart, then new topics since your last visit will show up in bold. Why chose an option which includes areas of the forum you have no interest in reading?

Same here - I just visit the sections of the forum I'm interested in, then when I'm done reading only the topics I'm interested in, I mark that entire forum section as "read".  I also mark the entire sections of the forum I'm not interested in as read.

I never even considered just viewing "all unread contents", as I'm only interested in about 30% or less of  the new posts since I last visited.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:34 AM, SSNJim said:

Try this to filter. I use a similar method to view the forums every time I visit. I did test it by eliminating the Off-Topic forums, and it doesn't show the Off-Topic, um, topics. 

Activity > My Activity Streams > Create New Stream
Give it a title. Whatever you want, no one will see it.
Content Types > Topics > Hit the down arrow on the right.
A Narrow by Forums selection box will appear. Pull down the arrow in that.
Select all the Forums you want to see. When done, click outside the box. All forums you selected will be listed.
Save Changes in the lower right corner.

To use it, select Activity > My Activity Streams > name of your new activity. 

You can also edit/change it when you have the activity selected. There will be several boxes just below the name of the activity at the top of the screen.

You can have several activities saved, and use them whenever you like.

Thanks I will try it.

Great! I'm glad it works for you. You can do a lot of cool things with activity streams.

I use one that allows me to view all new postings in all forums since my last visit. No searching for new content - it's right there when I connect to the site.

Enjoy!