Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1967 Pontiac GTO

doorsovdoon

Very basic kit this one so couldn't help doing some changes to it. I cut out the old screw bottom radiator support and found a better one in my spares, the radiator that comes with this kit is paper thin. The grill and bumper wasn't a great fit so I had to trim and clean up the front of the car to get it fitting nice. Being a one piece interior tub I've already got that painted up and finished. The clocks are decals I had in my spares stash which I stuck to some wood effect sticky back Fablon, and I've added some redlines to the tyres which came from the Revell '68 Charger, they were a nightmare to work with and almost got destroyed when applying them. Colour will be white with the blue decal stripes that come with the kit.

DSC00998.JPG

DSC01001.JPG

DSC00991.JPG

DSC00994.JPG

You've really got your work cutout for you with that ancient kit , @doorsovdoon ! Haha . Ne'er-the-less , you're building a fine example from that sow's ear - the thoughtful painting and careful choice of colours you've elected to employ certainly exhibit themselves wonderfully on this older-than-dirt kit .

I like the revised / replaced core support & radiator combo ( looks like you've found a use for the pieces from the equally-ancient MPC et al. 1969 Charger / 500 / Daytona / Duke of Prunes kit . 

That Pontiac 400 looks quite nice as well . Funny how the interior-side shows an automatic brake pedal and console / shifter for the Super Turbine 300 ( air-cooled 2-speed automatic ) , with a 4-gear behind the actual engine ( an MPC trademarque of yore ) .

The white-blue-blue combo is going to look fabulous !

Gareth, here's a tip for you not many may know about.

Those raised lines down the body of the car are not meant to be chrome trim. MPC actually molded them into the body so after paint, they could be scraped down to bare plastic to represent the dual pinstripe that was very common on this car. 

Looks like the body was molded in blue so if you sand down to reveal the strips before clearing or polishing it would go well with the blue interior. , , and people will be asking how you did those tiny pinstripes down the body.  😉

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

You've really got your work cutout for you with that ancient kit

Tell me about it! I spent a good hour or two re-shaping the front panel to fit the grill and bumper. The exhausts/prop shaft/suspension legs unit are so badly worn and full of flash I had a hard time working out what was part and what was sprue! Yeah, one thing that does bug me on older kits like this is the automatic setup interior with manual box, and the convertible tub in a hardtop. Yep, those old MPC '69 Charger kits are basically a box of parts for other kits, lol! The engine and box are probably the worst I've ever come across in a kit, basic doesn't come close, it's like Lego but someone shaved off the locking studs, Lol!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Gareth, here's a tip for you not many may know about.

Those raised lines down the body of the car are not meant to be chrome trim. MPC actually molded them into the body so after paint, they could be scraped down to bare plastic to represent the dual pinstripe that was very common on this car. 

Looks like the body was molded in blue so if you sand down to reveal the strips before clearing or polishing it would go well with the blue interior. , , and people will be asking how you did those tiny pinstripes down the body.  😉

ah, thanks Steve, I never noticed that! I wasn't planning on foiling the rubbing strips, now I see they never had them to start with! Thanks for the heads up, I'll sand them off completely, the kit is moulded in white.

Edited by doorsovdoon

Thanks guys. Yeah, the interior is actually pretty darn nice for such an old kit. The front seats actually look like seats and not a block of styrene with just the seat pattern on top. The dash is nicely detailed too, though I chose to put sticky back wood over it to look more real than just painting it brown. The steering wheel looks to be from the '69 to '71 model though.

5 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

This kit has instructions in six different languages because it's important we all understand what looks like a piece of the sprue tree is actually a part for the build! xD

"Part number 22 will look like sprue tree due to ridiculous amounts of flash, Don't Throw It Out!" Lol

And not a single one of the six is in Cymræg nor in Gælic !  Haha !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 12:28 PM, David G. said:

I've already seen this in the "Under Glass" section but it's nice to see an unobstructed view of all the wonderful interior detail.

David G.

Thanks, David. Yeah, the interior is surprisingly very well detailed for such an old kit, especially for an MPC.