Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Winter Projects WIP*

Zippi

I wasn't sure just where to post this.  Since I paint outside and winter coming on I thought I would airbrush a few bodies to hold me over for the winter.  All three were airbrushed with Anita's acrylic craft paint, cleared with Rust-Oleum Lacquer, wet sanded, and polished.  This painting process is the best I've came up with so far but it's still a work in process.  Anybody else paint models ahead like I'm doing?

1)  AMT 1953 Crown Victoria  

2)  AMT 1955 Chevy Cameo Pickup

3)  Revell 1956 Ford pickup

20211016_101254.jpg

20211016_101306.jpg

20211016_101337.jpg

20211016_101344.jpg

20211016_101351.jpg

20210904_152238_resized.jpg

20210904_152812_resized.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Those bodies look real good. Here in Az. I don't really have a problem painting all year round. In the summer it is best to paint early as it gets too hot. In the winter it is best to paint in the afternoon as it can be cold in the early morning. There are the days where it is best not to paint but they are few and far between.

1 minute ago, cobraman said:

Those bodies look real good. Here in Az. I don't really have a problem painting all year round. In the summer it is best to paint early as it gets too hot. In the winter it is best to paint in the afternoon as it can be cold in the early morning. There are the days where it is best not to paint but they are few and far between.

Thanks Ray.  I wish we had that kind of weather here.  I have to watch and make sure the humidity is below 70%.  If not the results can be a little milky looking.  Don't ask me how I know. 

2 hours ago, Kool Kat said:

I seem to have more painted kits waiting than unpainted, it's ALWAYS humid here. Try to have three or more ready for paint when I do set up for painting. Have these two waiting for a nice snow day.

DSCN5644.JPG.7f21308f05ba6fdca8600887693a09d3.JPG

Nice looking pair of classic muscle there KK.

Hi Bob,

Your stock of winter bodies looks good!  I'm at a point where I'm still exploring various painting techniques.  Can you share how you thin your craft paints and what psi you shoot at.  I'm assuming you're using the Paasche H which I think I've seen you refer to in other threads?

Thanks,

Andrew

8 minutes ago, Andrew McD said:

Hi Bob,

Your stock of winter bodies looks good!  I'm at a point where I'm still exploring various painting techniques.  Can you share how you thin your craft paints and what psi you shoot at.  I'm assuming you're using the Paasche H which I think I've seen you refer to in other threads?

Thanks,

Andrew

Well Andrew.....I'm really not one that should be telliing others how to airbrush but I'll tell you how I do it.  I do have the Paasche H airbrush.  I use either Ceramcoat or Anita's arcylic paint from HL.  I always thin the paint 50/50 with Windex and make sure the paint is mixed really well.  I set my air pressure at 25psi with a working pressure of 20psi.  I played with air pressure off and on for a few months and the 20-25psi seems to work best for me.  I did a ton of spoon test and for me it was ok for checking color and shin but as far as painting a larger body you'll just have to experiment.  For me, and I can't stress this enough you need to airbrush when there is low humidity.  Here in southern Indiana it needs to be below 70% for it to be an exceptable paint job for me.  I hope this helps.     

11 minutes ago, Andrew McD said:

Thanks Bob. 

Thanks for the info!  Like yourself I am trying different approaches and doing lots of investigation and reading regarding how others approach their painting.  I'll spray some spoons and see what sort of results I get using your method.

Andrew

I didn't mention it but after the clear has cured for 48 hrs I wet sand and polish.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, Andrew McD said:

Thanks Bob. 

Thanks for the info!  Like yourself I am trying different approaches and doing lots of investigation and reading regarding how others approach their painting.  I'll spray some spoons and see what sort of results I get using your method.

Andrew

How did your spoon tests come out Andrew?

On 10/18/2021 at 5:36 AM, Zippi said:

Well Andrew.....I'm really not one that should be telliing others how to airbrush but I'll tell you how I do it.  I do have the Paasche H airbrush.  I use either Ceramcoat or Anita's arcylic paint from HL.  I always thin the paint 50/50 with Windex and make sure the paint is mixed really well.  I set my air pressure at 25psi with a working pressure of 20psi.  I played with air pressure off and on for a few months and the 20-25psi seems to work best for me.  I did a ton of spoon test and for me it was ok for checking color and shin but as far as painting a larger body you'll just have to experiment.  For me, and I can't stress this enough you need to airbrush when there is low humidity.  Here in southern Indiana it needs to be below 70% for it to be an exceptable paint job for me.  I hope this helps.     

Thanks for the information. I haven't sprayed acrylics before because I wasn't sure what to use for paint reducer and what ratio. Your little tutorial gives me a good reference point to start trying!

Very Kwell!! as you say.

31 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Thanks for the information. I haven't sprayed acrylics before because I wasn't sure what to use for paint reducer and what ratio. Your little tutorial gives me a good reference point to start trying!

Very Kwell!! as you say.

I'm glad the information was helpful.  Report back on how it worked for you.

59 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Winters here in South Georgia don't usually get too bad, but it does get a bit cold for painting in my unheated shed. I think I will go ahead and paint this one to have ready for a cold weather project. It'll be a gas. 

_IGP9890-1.jpg

That will be a nice winter project James.