Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1978 Ford Bronco "Wild Hoss"

Casey

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

One would have to use an Explorer for a Bronco II donor. But, I'm not sure if the Explorer had the TTB in '96. I have one that I can check. There were no 4X4 Rangers. AMT did make a long bed 4X4 Ranger as a promo. But, it has everything molded in.  

You guys are right.  I was thinking the AMT-Ertl 1993 Ranger STX 4x4 was the assembly kit and the STX 4x2 was the promo type version, but it was actually exactly the opposite.  And yes, the AMT-Ertl Explorer assembly kit had the later mid-cycle updated chassis. 

However, if someone was building the 4x2 version of the Bronco II (as referenced in my earlier note), presumably the AMT-Ertl 1993 Ranger STX 4x2 kit - which has the Twin I-Beam chassis - would be a good place to start your build using the 3D printed Bronco II body....  TB 

12 hours ago, Fabrux said:

You still need the dummy transfer case from the Explorer, though. 😉

Wonder who the idiot at Ford was that came up with that idea? When someone told me that's how the 2wd's were, I didn't believe them. I guess it never occurred to them that they could also use the 2wd transmission from the Ranger and use a different cross member and driveshaft. 

38 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I already have an unbuilt MK version. I wonder if this reissue will come with the optional chrome wheels that the MK version did? They're pretty much a dead ringer for the '92-'96 F-150 factory aluminum wheels.

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't. Both sets of wheels were also in the original release.

32 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't. Both sets of wheels were also in the original release.

I never had an original issue. So, I wasn't aware of that. At least this time around, we won't be forced to buy a trailer and funny car along with it. When I bought the MK version, I was disappointed that it didn't have the decals or the tires it showed on the box. It came with the horrible Firestones and "Wild Hoss" graphics. 

I remember having the original kit in the late 70s early 80s. but I don't ever remember if I finished it. It will be another one of those "relive my youth" things. This time I have way better wheels and tires and goodies to build it with. 👍

48 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I never had an original issue. So, I wasn't aware of that. At least this time around, we won't be forced to buy a trailer and funny car along with it. When I bought the MK version, I was disappointed that it didn't have the decals or the tires it showed on the box. It came with the horrible Firestones and "Wild Hoss" graphics. 

I kinda liked those decals, always thought they were an option originally offered on those trucks but I can't find any reference to them so I guess it's just something AMT dreamed up. 

Hopefully the new issue will have actual factory style decals in it.

3 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I remember having the original kit in the late 70s early 80s. but I don't ever remember if I finished it. It will be another one of those "relive my youth" things. This time I have way better wheels and tires and goodies to build it with. 👍

Still have mine. I keep threatening to rebuild it but never got around to it. Even went as far as getting a set of original decals off e-bay. Might just leave it alone now and pick up a new one.

131 3108

• Like 1

Just now, Mike C. said:

I'm going with these from Ray's Kits.

1 rays freeweelin.webp

I would too but I'm going to wait and see what the new kit has with it. I suspect a lot of that will be included on the new decals. 

BTW, those are now available in blue for the real trucks. 

White Chocolate 1979 Ford Bronco Is the Old Face of Cool - autoevolution

• Like 1

Just pulled mine out to take a quick look. Looks like it has the same too low windshield height issue that the F-350s have. Also have to add the same amount to the entire roof back to the raised band to get the brow above the windshield and the area above the drip rails right. 

3 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

are these still available?  where do you get them?

Rays kits. He is in the neatherlands so the shipping is like $30. He has a guy that sells his decals on ebay.  There's another post with the link in. Another section I think below this thread. Sells name is pontiacbanker. I also understand he sells them on Facebook.  Link is in the same thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I would really enjoy seeing this kit as the tow vehicle part of a new Truck/Trailer/ Racer combo kit. Maybe with the '57 T-Bird in "Here Come De Judge" decals, or the '69 T-bird in "Allison Thunderland" Decals.

Or for that matter, the '64 Ford Mod Stock Kit, since the '65 Ford Mod Stock sold so well.

4 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

I would really enjoy seeing this kit as the tow vehicle part of a new Truck/Trailer/ Racer combo kit. Maybe with the '57 T-Bird in "Here Come De Judge" decals, or the '69 T-bird in "Allison Thunderland" Decals.

Or for that matter, the '64 Ford Mod Stock Kit, since the '65 Ford Mod Stock sold so well.

The price on these might drop once the Bronco kit hits shelves, the Cougar was out recently too so it isn't hard to find.

amt-21713p-nostalgic-drag-plastic_1_788fe55dcaa15701819e81ad035e04f3.jpg.d046d3e80d41a266ebfd45b9ada3e9d6.jpg

• Like 1