Model Cars Magazine Forum

Latest Galaxie Chevy Build, 1947 Chevrolet Coupe

modelercarl

Just completed the latest Galaxie Chevrolet Kit, the 1947 Coupe.  This is the third Galaxie kit I have built and it was as enjoyable as the first two.  Chose '47 Chevy factory color Lakeside Green (MCW #351).  Had a neighbor that bought one of these new and his was black which I thought about for this kit but glad I used the Green as it really shows off the great design features of these Chevrolets.

Had the same problem with the hood fit.  Tried the alteration to the underside front edge of the hood, shaving some material off to allow the hood to set back a little further, and it diminished the gap but not enough.  Waiting for a new battery for my Dremel and have something else I might try to eliminate the gap.

47 Chevy Coupe 1a.JPG

47 Chevy Coupe 1b.JPG

46 and 47 Galaxie Chevys 1a.JPG

46 and 47 Galaxie Chevys 1c.JPG

46 and 47 Galaxie Chevys 1b.JPG

Good color choice for this coupe and very nice overall paint and workmanship on all three builds. These coupes are OOP and getting harder to find, nice to see one built. Wish Galaxie would offer more ‘40’s sedans, would love to build a ‘47 Caddie Series 62 fastback.

Edited by papajohn97
Added missing word

I really like those old fat fenders even more when they are build as they were back then. All 3 look absolutely gorgeous. Having buid the sedan, I had the same hood gap problem. I might go back to it one day since I don't like the way the paint turned out. Having seen yours might give me the final push to do it though.

great build and perfect color choice.

Al, That really brings back some memories.  I had a buddy that inherited a 46-47 coupe from a relative in 1959.  It was a dark grey that kind of showed its age, but we were 18 so it was OK as far as he was concerned.  He lowered it and shaved the hood and trunk and shot light grey primer over the bondo.  We ran wires from the latches to under the dash so he could open the hood and trunk.   Shot light grey primer over the bondo.  Added a set of Olds spinners.  There was a local bump shop that would heat the front coils and rear leaf springs to lower a car which he had done.  It really needed a complete paint job and looked a little rough after all this, but it was good enough for him.  We had a lot of fun in that car.