Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 62 Impala SS

RDean58

I started this one way back in 2015. I really did not know what I wanted to do with it except I knew I wanted to use the custom valve covers, air cleaner, and exhaust manifolds on it, but I was not happy with the big tire/wheel combo it came with. I shot the frame, semi built the engine, then back in the box it went until today. While separating parts for the other 62 Impala/Bel Air kits I have going I decided to play around with this. I found out I lost or misplaced the oil pan, so I decided to use one from the AMT 64 Impala. I elected for the finned chrome plated one.

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_04.jpg

After putting it on I found out the hood interfered with the air cleaner.

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_03.jpg

So, I had a choice, either cut down the chrome pan to get hood clearance or cut out the hood. I elected to cut the hood. The hood scoop is sourced from one of my many AMT 63 Impala kits and looks pretty good on it.

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_02.jpg

I decided to use the American Racing S200 wheels from the AMT Impala kit as well.

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_01.jpg

Of course, you need some wide tires on the back of a street machine, so I found a set of the NASCAR tires for the back. Once I glue the wheels to the backing, they will fit pretty good. Not sure about exhaust pipe clearance but a good set of side pipes might just fix that.

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_05.jpg

By all indications this will be built in the 70's style. Don't know what color it will be I'll let you all know when I shoot it 🙂

I have an AMT 62 Impala convertible I'll be painting yellow, and I have a resin 62 Biscayne coming from MCW to round out my 62 big chevies.

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I'm staying with it. Undercoated with Tamiya bright aluminum then shot with about three coats of Tamiya ATS-45 pearl white. I finished the job by shooting six or seven coats of Testors white lightening then wet look clear.

What do you all think, does it work?

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_06.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_07.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_08.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_09.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_10.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_11.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_12.jpg

Thanks for looking all comments welcomed.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:28 AM, deuces wild said:

The amt '62 bubble top belair is a pretty cool kit also... The parts are interchangeable between the drop top and the bubble top version....

Yes indeed, I got me one of them I built a while ago.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Robert, great to see your Chev back on the workbench! Your solutions are working out well, the hood scoop is a good match for the hood, side pipes would be great with the wide tires on the back and your paint work is looking very good with the chrome to come, it will be a 💎 jewel! Paired up with the bubble top you’ll have a great combo. I’ll be sticking around to follow your work.

Cheers Misha

Both of these Chevys look fantastic! I especially like the Bel Air. Great color!

I don't understand about the White Lightning over the ATL-45, though. What is "White Lightning" and why did you cover the pearl with it? Maybe I would understand if I could see it "live"; the photos probably don't do it justice. I have a can of TS-45 white pearl I was saving for something special.  Now I'm concerned. 🤔

The hood scoop is a good call, it works well.

12 hours ago, RDean58 said:

I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I'm staying with it. Undercoated with Tamiya bright aluminum then shot with about three coats of Tamiya ATS-45 pearl white. I finished the job by shooting six or seven coats of Testors white lightening then wet look clear.

What do you all think, does it work?

Since you asked..

The paint looks great but it seems to me that there is too much of it. It needs something else for contrast, especially if you're going for a Seventies build. "Euro White" and other monochromatic themes were more of a Nineties thing.

The Seventies trends were much more bold, to the point of being garish even. Think of the Mopar High Impact paint colors.

maxresdefault_small.jpg.8843981ac8040146638e95ef943c5e78.jpg

So maybe some bold graphics or a stark black and white interior with a black vinyl top.

Of course you could go with a full-on Nineties custom Euro White style. The tires you're using would lend themselves well to that.

But whatever you decide, make it yours and enjoy the build!

You have a great start and a gorgeous looking paint job to work with.

David G.

16 hours ago, customline said:

Both of these Chevys look fantastic! I especially like the Bel Air. Great color!

I don't understand about the White Lightning over the ATL-45, though. What is "White Lightning" and why did you cover the pearl with it? Maybe I would understand if I could see it "live"; the photos probably don't do it justice. I have a can of TS-45 white pearl I was saving for something special.  Now I'm concerned. 🤔

White lighting is a Testors' one coat lacquer paint that looks like the Tamiya pearl white.

Just now, RDean58 said:

White lighting is a Testors' one coat lacquer paint that looks like the Tamiya pearl white.

When working with the Tamiya Pearl white and Testors' white lightening colors I find they tend to be a bit opaque, meaning the color under the paint will show through without a lot of coats.  I've also found out that a coat of clear under the pearl paint will give it more of a shine. Now this could just be me and my eyes. I will say the TS-45 Pearl White really needs to be shot over white plastic or a white undercoat for it to work. Afterwards some coats of Tamiya's pearl clear will help it to look much better. 

I can't seem to leave well enough alone, here is the final paint job on the Impala SS.

Today I shot multiple coats of Tamiya TS-45 pearl white over the Testors' White lighting then re-cleared it with wet look clear. This is more of the shade of white I was looking for. The other color looked too much like silver to me. Finishing touches on this may be a slight polish.

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_13.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_14.jpg

I changed the hood scoop to one from the AMT 58 Impala kit as I also changed the air cleaner to a set of velocity stacks from the AMT 62 Bel Air kit.
Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_15.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_16.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_17.jpg

Revello_1962_Chevrolet_Impala_SS_18.jpg

Interior will be flat white seats and door panels while I am still undecided as to what the carpet and dash will be. I know it will not be red or blue. Maybe a green? I'm also undecided on whether or not to put the stock shifter and console in it. I might go with a T handle shifter with a square mounting plate on the floor. Something like what you would see in a street machine instead of the stock set up.

Thanks for looking all comments welcomed.

• Like 1

Small update - I have the tires and wheels glued onto the brake drums now.

spacer.png

I usually paint the spokes on the American S200 wheels' aluminum, but I also know they were available polished, so I elected to keep them that way on this build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The reason why I had to change out the hood scoop, close but I got the clearance I need since the hood sits level.

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.