Model Cars Magazine Forum

Landspeed Vette update 7/14/09

Scott Colmer

Had to take some time off for work travel, but got to build last weekend. After taking the canopy down the a reasonable thickness, the slimmer lid proved itself to be too fragile by splitting on the nose. Time for creative support. More handmade metalwork.

rehinge10-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

rehinge11-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I am getting closer, but going is slow. The new hinge took 6 hours.

Thanks for looking and the encouragement.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

Awesome craftsmanship and creativity!!

I'd get in line to buy a resin replica of this one!!

Keep up the GREAT work!! I can't wait to see this one finished!!

For anyone who hasn't looked at the in process pics of this build on Scott's Fotki site, I guarantee you that it's well worth the time.

Thanks for sharing, Scott!!

Later,

• 4 weeks later...

Still making parts. It's fun, but time consuming. And some times very frustrating. The first canopy hinge design ultimately failed. I spent the better part of two weeks trying different arm designs before I gave up and went another direction to get it to open. More on that later.

The pully system is done. All the cog drives are made with K&S Tubing groved with a back saw. The item on the left is the kit oil pump. On the right is an side mount aluminium water pump. It's all K&S. It was necessary due to space issues. The cog belt is a shaved down zip tie. The disk behind the crank pulley is for the ignition.

Pulleysbest-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Added some blisters to clear the turbos and release the air drawn in for the intercoolers. I found out I had clearence issues when I ground through the body.

First the design.

Vents1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Finished product

blisters2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Once the pulleys were done, it became clear I needed more space for the oil tank. The round one would not fit, so I made a custom fit one from sheet styrene pretty much following the same process I learned from a metal fabricators hand book. More putty welding too. I am still try to perfect the technique.

welds1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking.

I have one word and one word only for this build……Insane!!! Simply an amazingly detailed and awesomely laborious build. You are a very patient and steady craftsman. ( I looked at your photo record on this build so far, it rivals War and Peace in its scope). My attention span on any given build is nowhere near the time and effort invested in this build. Great workmanship.

Hey Raul,

Nani and I are still planning on making the drive to NorCal. I'll try to have the body in base primer and all the fab done so I can do a mock up. I am not working on a deadline, but do want to get his one finished by April. I checked and as of Feb 14 2008, it will be one year. This was supposed to be a quick build! just havin' to much fun to rush it.

I look forward to hanging out and seeing your stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. It really help keep me going.

Scott

Hey Raul,

Nani and I are still planning on making the drive to NorCal. I'll try to have the body in base primer and all the fab done so I can do a mock up. I am not working on a deadline, but do want to get his one finished by April. I checked and as of Feb 14 2008, it will be one year. This was supposed to be a quick build! just havin' to much fun to rush it.

I look forward to hanging out and seeing your stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. It really help keep me going.

Scott

Sounds GREAT!!

I can't say for sure, but I'd suspect we've met before, probably at the Gold Coast Challenge or an NNL West event. Either way, it'll be great to see you and the check out the Vette. I know that my friend Bernard (GBK1) who's coming down from Seattle will also really like to see it!!

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

I think Tim would be excited to hear your humble little "challenge" build has grown into this monster..!

But you're going to have to tell him, I'm not going to say a word. Personally I think we delivered him a 1 - 2 punch..!

Whatever my Buggin - U didn't do squash his hopes, I think this will finish him off..! In any case, I'll stop by here when I can & you keep building until I can collect my tacos..! :D

Good luck,

Hizoot :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just a bit more progress. Enhanced the front of the block with some detail to the face of the heads and few bolt holes here and there. OPened up the motor plate. Also cleaned up the kit mainfold by adding a new base and some bosses for mounting bolts and what not. The intercoolers have their mounting plate and are welded up.

Enginefront2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also have a question for you Indy car experts...How did they start a 1985 March Chassis Indy car with a ZF transaxle such as this?

transshifter-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks

Scott