Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

|55 Chevy Bel Air|

bluestringer

My last 2 builds have been disasters. The 69 Camaro and the 97 Mustang. Both were going good up until the body to chassis install. Could not get either one to fit, I was just breaking off stuff trying to get them right. I'm moving on to something else. This is the AMT 55 Chevy kit. I hope the body to chassis fit is better. I know most of these are done in a two tone paint job, but I'm going a different route. It will be one color from top to bottom, probably Createx Pearl Green. It will also have minimal chrome trim. Two reasons I'm going this way, first I saw one on the internet that was one color and thought it looked great that way, also I'm not good at masking and spraying a two tone paint. The one I saw also had only the main chrome on it, and I do not have enough foil to do it all anyway. I will be going slow with this build as I think I have been rushing my builds too much. All comments are welcome. 

_IGP0475.jpg

I'll be the first James.  I recently completed this one.20210727_132657.png.1da683d0c59e499a1947a840effc0d01.png

Yep, as you say, most are two tone.  The kit if done without alterations should come togather nicely. My problem was I mated the back half of the '66 Nova tubbed chassis to the front of the kit chassis and had issues. Would never do it again...was too much for my skill level.  As you can tell, these are not the kit wheels and tires, and the hood.

Anyway, good luck with it, you'll do fine.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

I'll be the first James.  I recently completed this one.20210727_132657.png.1da683d0c59e499a1947a840effc0d01.png

Yep, as you say, most are two tone.  The kit if done without alterations should come togather nicely. My problem was I mated the back half of the '66 Nova tubbed chassis to the front of the kit chassis and had issues. Would never do it again...was too much for my skill level.  As you can tell, these are not the kit wheels and tires, and the hood.

Anyway, good luck with it, you'll do fine.

It certainly turned out nice Mike. Looks great. I like the Pro Street look. 

Looks good! Are those the kit wheels? They give it a clean look.

Excellent plan about not rushing; just adopt the mind set that you're not on a schedule to complete it. Easy to say and hard to do...often I work into the wee hours on my latest kit and my mind is fried, and that's when I make mistakes. Do lots of dry fits of body to chassis before paint.

22 minutes ago, rightrudder said:

Looks good! Are those the kit wheels? They give it a clean look.

Excellent plan about not rushing; just adopt the mind set that you're not on a schedule to complete it. Easy to say and hard to do...often I work into the wee hours on my latest kit and my mind is fried, and that's when I make mistakes. Do lots of dry fits of body to chassis before paint.

Thanks. Those are the kit wheels.  I shot some metallic aluminum on them. I think they will look good once the paint is on the body. 

I just finished that kit on Saturday (Under Glass), It's a little fiddly, especially the front end (at least on mine), but I highly modified it so it didn't matter in the end, lol. The two-tone on these is actually pretty easy as you can just run the tape right in the center of the side trim, which is what I did. They do look pretty good one solid color as well, and it sounds like you've picked out a nice one. I'll be following your progress, I know it'll turn out great!

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

15 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I just finished that kit on Saturday (Under Glass), It's a little fiddly, especially the front end (at least on mine), but I highly modified it so it didn't matter in the end, lol. The two-tone on these is actually pretty easy as you can just run the tape right in the center of the side trim, which is what I did. They do look pretty good one solid color as well, and it sounds like you've picked out a nice one. I'll be following your progress, I know it'll turn out great!

I saw yours, it looks great. 

• Thanks 1

The weather warmed enough so I was able to get in my work shed and get a little done. I finished the engine, headers will go on during the chassis build,  and got some painting done. The body is Createx Pearl Green, the interior will be a lighter shade using Ceramcoat Wedgewood Green. Still have to put on the clear. I'll let it sit for a couple days. 

_IGP0480.jpg

_IGP0482.jpg

_IGP0486.jpg

_IGP0483.jpg

The weather was good, don't think that was the problem. I started out putting on a light coat, then went back over it with a heavier coat. It looked like it was going to level out, then did that. Maybe I'll just leave it like that and call it gator skin green. Not sure if the purple pond will take it off. I don't think I can sand it out.