Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's am esoteric subject - anyone else into fountain pens?

Monty

I've had some nice ones over the years, and I've had some surprisingly bad ones (made by manufacturers with generally good reputations in the fine pen world).

I had been looking at the Parker Sonnet as a possible purchase when I noticed that prices on ebay had fallen tremendously.  They normally trade @ around $90.00 for one in good condition, and now I'm seeing prices below $20.00 on ebay for brand new ones - all from China, of course.  

Since Parker appears to have shifted production there, it kinda makes me wonder if they've cheapened the materials used.  

I really used to like fountain pens in days gone by, but after having one leak so I looked like I'd been shot in the heart and had black blood, I kinda moved away from them.

But I've been collecting big bird feathers when I've been out West, thinking I might try my hand at making some quill pens.    :D

• Like 2

I'm not a fountain pen collector. I was helping a friend clean out his sister's house yesterday and these were there. Yes, I realize they are dip pens and not fountain pens. I took them as all the family members passed on them. 

As you can see, they were not well cared for. I have most of the nibs soaking in 91% rubbing alcohol as I know that removes ink. They also seem to have some type of glue on them. I'll deal with that next. If I can clean up at least a few, a couple have not been used, I will use them. 

I think they are cool.
1562602516_inkpens01.thumb.jpg.e3aba063ca556b418a817c2a9f395a86.jpg

No pens, but when I worked in construction years ago I collected pencils with company names and logos on them.  All of the suppliers were giving us pencils (good ones, too) by the bunch.  I'd keep one or two of each for myself.  When I mentioned this to others, they'd give me more of them from other industries.  I got away from construction in 2000, came back in 2019, now nobody does pencils, they give away calendars and writing pads.  Haven't seen a pencil with a company name on it yet.  I still have the old ones, and use the "extras" when needed as most are good quality #2.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:54 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I am a fan/pseudo-collector of nice pens, but have never made the leap to fountain pens.

Fountain pens kinda have a weird reputation as toys for geeks or "grandpa stuff" but in an age where texting is one of the major forms of communication, a hand-written note in a vibrant ink color (dozens out there) can have a very positive effect.  

Although a few fountain pens require proprietary ink cartridges, most can use the universal ones, and almost all can be fitted with a relatively inexpensive "converter" that lets you draw the aforementioned inks from a jar into the pen.   

If you ever want to find out a bit more, there are tons of YouTube videos out there that explore some popular brands/models, and occasionally surprise you with some of their content.  A couple are showing how to not get taken by cheap Chinese knockoffs (ebay's loaded with them), and at least one showed that one particular Chinese knockoff not only nailed most the of aesthetics of the original pen, it wrote almost as well, despite a price difference of roughly $100.00 vs $17.00.    

Edited by Monty

3 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Not sure if this counts as collecting; I’ve got not only Home Depot pencils in my nail bags, but Lowes pencils as well.

I'd say you're right on track - diversity is everything when it comes to amassing a respectable collection of giveaway pencil stubs. 

The secret to profitable collectability in this sector of the writing utensil hobby is the condition of the eraser.  Unused or only slightly used eraser tips can often double the value of a pencil.  

Also, don't overlook the smaller independent hardware/lumber outlets as sources for more stubs.  Local = rare in the collector market, and luckily, so far at least, the Chinese haven't gotten involved in a knockoff pencil campaign, so prices should remain steady.  A quick dig under the couch cushions and a cursory glance under the front seats of your car should yield enough cash to buy enough of these precious wooden treasures to last you two lifetimes.

Best of luck with your collection.  Your heirs will thank you (by pi**ing on your grave).   

Edited by Monty
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, peteski said:

That carpenter pencil is still made in the USA?  WOW!!

If you know where to look, there'll be a 2-piece collector's set of them called the "Karen and Richard" edition.  

Edited by Monty

I remember when I was young and in grade school it was not unusual to see fountain pens ✒️ regularly in stores.  My brother use to use them back then and he has a real fancy style of hand writing.  I could see why they would be collect able…