Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some suggestions

I really hate to throw my empty coffee cans into the recycle bin, so I am asking for some suggestions on how you use them.  As you can see this is a good size container, just over 9" tall and almost 5.5" across, and they have really neat handles molded into the side.  So far, I have a couple full of various nuts and bolts: one is stuff I have scavenged from things I have taken apart and the other is for left over pieces, you know when you buy six and only really need five or the muffler bearing you ordered came with some extra hardware. I have one attached to the side of my spray booth, I keep it full of wadded up paper towels and spray into it when I am cleaning my airbrush between colors.  Now, I will only empty one in just a little short of three months, so my basement is not full of them - yet.  I just emptied one and have one other on a shelf waiting for some miraculous inspiration on usage.  So, what say you - How have you used them?

20220126_102807.jpg

20220126_102841.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 1

I have a number of them although I have mostly the smaller ones . For modeling purposes I've used both sizes as a small container to strip parts in. Purple Power/Super Clean etc. Typically won't fit a body without using a lot of product but for interior, suspension etc the small ones work fine.

I also used to store my water based AB paint in a couple of the larger ones.

The reason I don't save them is you can't see into them and they're a little clunky. At our office, we buy roasted peanuts in the square, clear containers. I've saved a couple dozen of those in my garage and keep spares. They stack snuggly on the shelf, are easy to grab and I can see into them. Even if stripping parts I can look up the bottom to see what's going on.