Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need a honest opinion from a collector

Even if you want that particular box art, one can be found for less.  

On the flip side, a lot of people bashed the Stooges kits as being just a marketing thing, but try finding the last one ('25 T double kit) now...

The old adage is that it's worth what you're willing to pay, but when I'm thinking of buying something on eBay, I always check out the "sold" listings (scroll down and check the box on the left). Sellers are free to ask whatever they want for an item, but at least that gives you an idea what other buyers are actually paying.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

I bought one when it was a currently available item, probably paid mid-twenties for it.  Retail was probably about $30, so an out of production item is likely to go higher.  

I got it.  Thanks for the help along with everyone else.

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

Well i can i just wanted to make sure i wasn't getting fully ripped off.  

Not fully ripped off, just gently ripped off to that degree we all quietly consider acceptable when we irrationally want some hobby related item we see. We don't judge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

OMG Bill, that is one of the longest links I have ever seen, and it is full of all sorts of eBay tracking codes!!  Where the heck did you copy that link from?!?!

All you need to point someone to the eBy item is this short link (extracted from yours): https://www.ebay.com/itm/194489556766   Anything after that item number (starting with the first "?" is all the nefarious stuff eBay uses for all sorts of nasty tracking.  They even show you that!.. If you look at that link, after the item #, it shows "?_trkparms= and bunch of code".  No need give eBay all that tracking ability.  Trim the URL!

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

If you want only this version, that narrows your choices considerably.  If you just want a '40 sedan delivery, other issues are available, and one of those would be cheaper.

A couple of years ago, I bought two first-issue, molded in yellow delivery kits, shipping included, for just under the retail price of two new kits.  The sealed one goes on the shelf, opened one might get built.  The cost of "just any" issue kit can vary wildly depending on the options available to you.  You might find one unbuilt, in a bag, under the table at an IPMS meet for five bucks, or a sealed first issue at NNL East with the guy asking $100 for it.  You pays your money and takes your choice.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

If you want only this version, that narrows your choices considerably.  If you just want a '40 sedan delivery, other issues are available, and one of those would be cheaper.

A couple of years ago, I bought two first-issue, molded in yellow delivery kits, shipping included, for just under the retail price of two new kits.  The sealed one goes on the shelf, opened one might get built.  The cost of "just any" issue kit can vary wildly depending on the options available to you.  You might find one unbuilt, in a bag, under the table at an IPMS meet for five bucks, or a sealed first issue at NNL East with the guy asking $100 for it.  You pays your money and takes your choice.

Yes i just wanted this version.  Not going to build it at all just display it the way it is.  All n all with shipping and tax it was $55.  That's the price of a game these days so I'm good. Pepsi pays me good lol.

Edited by Dpate