Model Cars Magazine Forum

super glue kicker

My favorite "kicker" is Bob Smith Industries (BSI) CA accelerator.  It has almost no odor, and it doesn't instantly dissolve paint or plastic like some other brands.  It also doesn't leave residue when it evaporates.

As far as applicators go, I use Microbrushes. Never spray.  I dab the surface close to the liquid CA -- the accelerator spreads out, and gets to the glue on its own. Those brushes are disposable, so if one gets clogged with hardened CA glue, I just trash it and use a fresh one.

I used to use a tiny home-made squeeze bottle with a small gauge hypodermic needle tip, but it used to clog if I accidentally touched too close to the liquid CA, so I switched to Microbrushes.

Since very little accelerator is needed to "kick" the CA, I usually use the small (white handle) ones.

house-microbrush-heads.jpg

When i purchased BSI CA accelerator refill bottle the first time that's what i did was get some smaller bottles with needles to use it.  Tiny drop will do ya, and don't know why folks spray this stuff all over a part that's clued lol.  I'm actually thinking about getting some bottles with brushes inside like tamiya glue has and use that too just brush it on since it's so thin, and will go where ever it needs to go.

27 minutes ago, Dpate said:

I'm actually thinking about getting some bottles with brushes inside like tamiya glue has and use that too just brush it on since it's so thin, and will go where ever it needs to go.

Going by my experience with Micro-brushes, if you accidentally touch too close to the liquid CA (especially the extra thin stuff), it can wick into the brush and glue the bristles together.  That's why I went the disposable brush route.

32 minutes ago, Dpate said:

I'm actually thinking about getting some bottles with brushes inside like tamiya glue has and use that too just brush it on since it's so thin, and will go where ever it needs to go.

Good idea. I have some empty Tamiya thin bottles. They are a lot harder to accidentally knock over than the BSI bottle too.🤨 If the brush gets contaminated I can go back to using the looper.

22 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Good idea. I have some empty Tamiya thin bottles. They are a lot harder to accidentally knock over than the BSI bottle too.🤨 If the brush gets contaminated I can go back to using the looper.

I like this idea, too. The end of the brush could probably be trimmed a couple times if it gets gnarled up with glue. If the brush gets totally pooched, one could snip it off and attach a shortened micro brush (in Pete's post above) to the remaining stem with a cable tie or similar.