Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Live Album

afx

Yessongs in one of my favorites.  I'm a big Yes fan.  The album includes great extended versions and some nice solos including this one from "Mr. Rick Wakeman".

My college aged son has become a big Rick Wakeman fan.

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Interesting! Saw the subject and knew this was an easy answer for me and you have the same one. Yessongs is it! Have 2 sets of the albums because I wore out the first set. Then came cassettes and the cd.

I have a clean vinyl copy as well as the cd.  A great extended version with an aggressive pace.

Edited by afx

Kiss Alive from 1975 at Cobo Arena in Detroit, Mi. Also anything by Ted Nugent  Live is good! Long, LONG , ago  on Saturday nights on radio station- WABX- Detroit would run Live Rock and Roll recordings ( bootlegged?)  of various Rock Artists.I think it was called "King Biscuit Flower Hour" ?(Obvious reefer message there!) I would hook up to my receiver , my  recordable 8 track player/ recorder (from Radio Shack )and turn the recorder on to Tape them for 90 minutes( longest length of an 8 track at that time!).Then I would play them in my car as I cruised Telegraph Rd .Gosh. AFX (JC)🙃 ,your really getting the fog out of my brain now!

Edited by paul alflen
proper grammar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paul alflen said:

Kiss Alive from 1975 at Cobo Arena in Detroit, Mi. Also anything by Ted Nugent  Live is good! Long, LONG , ago  on Saturday nights on radio station- WABX- Detroit would run Live Rock and Roll recordings ( bootlegged?)  of various Rock Artists. I would hook up to my receiver , my  recordable 8 track player/ recorder (from Radio Shack )and turn the recorder on to Tape them for 90 minutes( longest length of an 8 track at that time!).Then I would play them in my car as I cruised Telegraph Rd .Gosh. AFX (JC)🙃 ,your really getting the fog out of my brain now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul alflen said:

Kiss Alive from 1975

When I was a kid I thought this was the greatest album of all time. I was one of those Kiss kids. (never did join that Kiss Army though) Nowadays I keep going back to X From the Whiskey a Go GO on the  fabulous Sunset Strip. With The Replacements (live bootleg cassett tape that was going around then) The Sh*it hits the fans close 2nd

One other Live album, I like and still get out.

Neil Diamond  "Hot August Night" My mom played this on Saturdays, after the my sister and I finished watching Cartoons. She did housework, and her happiness listening to that album, has rubbed off on me. I can't play the album with stepping back to those Saturdays so many years ago.

Thanks Mom!

I believe my 8-track recorder was from Radio Shack also. Geez, I made a lot of tapes.

If I can expand my favorite live album list it would be "Genesis Live". Way back when a guy I worked with found out I liked Yes so he suggested I would want to listen to Genesis so I bought this album without ever hearing anything from them and instantly was hooked. This was the Peter Gabriel era.

I'm sure many of us own Deep Purple Made in Japan and Peter Frampton and .......

1. Warren Zevon, Learning to Flinch, 1993 live solo.

2. Warren Zevon, Stand in the Fire, 1980 full band. Was gonna recommend the 2007 release with four new tracks but in googling to make sure of the date, just found out that last year they released a new 2-LP (vinyl) set with six MORE new tracks. Hmmmm, where did I put my turntable? :unsure:

3. Steppenwolf Live, 1970. Ask for it by name--there's a similarly named CD that's much newer but John Kay's voice is pretty much shot. 

4. I second the nomination of The Hoople Live

5. Lou Reed Rock and Roll Animal, 1974. One of the better versions of "Sweet Jane," which has been covered by pretty much everybody. 

6. Meat Loaf, VH1 Storytellers. GREAT versions of all your Meat Loaf favorites, plus a cover of Warren Zevon's "Lawyers Guns & Money," PLUS he answers a lot of Meat Loaf Questions, including "What is THAT?"

7. The First Great Rock Festivals of the Seventies (1971). Isle of Wight and Atlanta Pop. Not as well known as Woodstock but just as good--maybe better. 

8. Ted Nugent, Full Bluntal Nugity, 2001. THE BEST version ever of "Great White Buffalo," Dr. Ted's alltime best song. 

9. Humble Pie, Performance Rockin' the Fillmore, 1971.

I'll probably think of more later...

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I believe my 8-track recorder was from Radio Shack also. Geez, I made a lot of tapes.

If I can expand my favorite live album list it would be "Genesis Live". Way back when a guy I worked with found out I liked Yes so he suggested I would want to listen to Genesis so I bought this album without ever hearing anything from them and instantly was hooked. This was the Peter Gabriel era.

I'm sure many of us own Deep Purple Made in Japan and Peter Frampton and .......

Big Genesis and PG fan as well.  Have this on vinyl and own the Genesis cd box sets.

Edited by afx

52 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I would be remiss If I didn't mention Frampton comes Alive. I'm sure we all wore out that one back then. I still listen to  Humble Pie today. It ages really well (RIP Steve Marriott).

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TonyK said:

You're killing me "afx". Looks like we have the same Genesis catalog with the albums and CD box set.

I don't want to hijack my own thread but you might enjoy this CD -  covers of Genesis song's old and new. I really like it. 

Supper's Ready (1995, CD) - Discogs