Model Cars Magazine Forum

A custom Bonneville VW fuel delivery truck serving the dry lakes racers...

6 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Thank you Chris.

I can easily imagine that you long for the salt. I'll make it there someday, next year if all goes well. It's on my "bucket list"...

CT

there is nothing like it. the sunrise and sunsets are amazing, the cars are insane and racing down that course driving with your has pedal while the car floats like its on hard packed snow is adrenalin inducing. my personal goal is to do 250 out there. I havent got there yet

6 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

there is nothing like it. the sunrise and sunsets are amazing, the cars are insane and racing down that course driving with your has pedal while the car floats like its on hard packed snow is adrenalin inducing. my personal goal is to do 250 out there. I havent got there yet

Hi!

I can easily picture that. 

I'm finishing a totally scratchbuilt Ferrari powered stramliner these days. It should be on this site soon. It's been a year in the making, and I guess you should like it!

CT

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

I can easily picture that. 

I'm finishing a totally scratchbuilt Ferrari powered stramliner these days. It should be on this site soon. It's been a year in the making, and I guess you should like it!

CT

I have 2  58 ferrari V12s left over from a diecast restoration and a drag car. My thoughts were to make a period streamliner with them! Can't wait to see yours!

5 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

I have 2  58 ferrari V12s left over from a diecast restoration and a drag car. My thoughts were to make a period streamliner with them! Can't wait to see yours!

Please, do it! As for mine, stay tuned, it should appear on this forum in a few weeks, if all goes as planned!

CT

• Like 1

Hi Claude! Your builds my friend, never disappoint. You are one of the most creative builders in the hobby. Incredible talent with a dash of humour. The king of mashups for sure. Thanks for sharing another masterpiece with us. I’m starting to get the build a VW bug… (ya, cheesey pun intended) I only built one VW many years ago, I think it was the “Rubber Ducky?” something like that. It’s long gone now. Your recent VW builds have me thinking tho.

Cheers, Steve

Claude my friend... you are my hero!  I have to say I'm not a VW fan but this thing is so cool, you got me hooked on it and I can only say bravo again (and I have a feeling it's far from over...)!  Your imagination is limitless and nothing is lost from your spare parts bin, it seems infinite... 😁

I see that salt is just as devastating in the south as it is in the north but I have no doubt that our southern neighbor's is doing it for a good cause!

Obviously, you still have a lot of gas in the tank my friend!!! 😉

20 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Claude! Your builds my friend, never disappoint. You are one of the most creative builders in the hobby. Incredible talent with a dash of humour. The king of mashups for sure. Thanks for sharing another masterpiece with us. I’m starting to get the build a VW bug… (ya, cheesey pun intended) I only built one VW many years ago, I think it was the “Rubber Ducky?” something like that. It’s long gone now. Your recent VW builds have me thinking tho.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

Thanks for your comments, I'm flattered. 

As to VW's, please go ahead, I'm certain you could design and build a SEMA Show caliber beast! The Camaro was just an appetizer!

CT

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Claude my friend... you are my hero!  I have to say I'm not a VW fan but this thing is so cool, you got me hooked on it and I can only say bravo again (and I have a feeling it's far from over...)!  Your imagination is limitless and nothing is lost from your spare parts bin, it seems infinite... 😁

I see that salt is just as devastating in the south as it is in the north but I have no doubt that our southern neighbor's is doing it for a good cause!

Obviously, you still have a lot of gas in the tank my friend!!! 😉

Hi Francis!

Thanks for your comments, and your ever-present sense of humour!

My stash of leftovers is slowly being depleted, but as you can see, my cabinet of finished models is filling by the week. Which got me thinking... 

I've read many letters from modelers in magazines, expressing concern that "when they pass, wife and kids will just throw all their cherished homebuilt collection in a big cardbox, and dispose of it as if it was junk". 

So, maybe, this is the fate of those "junk leftovers": They'll return to junk, whatever we may think about it... Who knows? 

Now, back to the bench. So much styrene, so little time.

CT 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:Which got me thinking... 

I've read many letters from modelers in magazines, expressing concern that "when they pass, wife and kids will just throw all their cherished homebuilt collection in a big cardbox, and dispose of it as if it was junk".

CT 

Claude, I’ll admit, I am one of those that has spent time wondering what will happen to my builds and all of my stuff when I am gone, but recently I have begun to ask myself why I care.  I enjoy building these things, so as long as I like to do it, I might as well go ahead and do it.  Once I’m gone, I certainly won’t care what happens to them!

As for this build, well Claude, your creativity is unmatched!  As an organizer and judge national championship model car events, I learned that there are four basic things to remember. Paint, and cleanliness of build will get you noticed.  Originality and detail will get you trophies.  You must have a room fill of trophies my friend!

TCOTT

7 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Claude, I’ll admit, I am one of those that has spent time wondering what will happen to my builds and all of my stuff when I am gone, but recently I have begun to ask myself why I care.  I enjoy building these things, so as long as I like to do it, I might as well go ahead and do it.  Once I’m gone, I certainly won’t care what happens to them!

As for this build, well Claude, your creativity is unmatched!  As an organizer and judge national championship model car events, I learned that there are four basic things to remember. Paint, and cleanliness of build will get you noticed.  Originality and detail will get you trophies.  You must have a room fill of trophies my friend!

TCOTT

Hi Tim!

Thanks for the comments, and the reflexions. 

I was thinking yesterday night that one comical solution would be to get cherished creations to be cremated at once with the late modeler... This way: no junk to dispose of, and "pride of creation" kind of "preserved forever". LOL. 

As for your four rules, they certainly reflect your wisdom and experience. I could not define it better if I tried. A few trophies, yes, but fun and great memories foremost. 

Keep warm in this cold winter!

CT 

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

That is just such an interesting build.  I love the nice clean darkened out glass against the salt eroded body. Fantastic build. 

Thank you Bob!

Happy you like it. Now, as much as I, too, love the dark windows... It was just because I was too lazy to create a credible interior. Really. Those weathered finishes take a looooooong time to complete, as you may know. Something had to give...

My way of honoring the Gods of Curbside.

CT

15 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

one comical solution would be to get cherished creations to be cremated at once with the late modeler... This way: no junk to dispose of, and "pride of creation" kind of "preserved forever” 

Hmmm, does that include 1/1s?  I don’t know how many you have currently, but I’m sure there is at least one.  Maybe they could just put my stuff in the garage with me and set it on fire.  Nah, that would be too messy.  We’ll have to come up with something else.

TCOTT