Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

On 2/12/2024 at 7:28 PM, tim boyd said:

Mike...thanks for your input on this.  Not too surprisingly, I suppose, this conflicts directly with the sources I referenced that said the primary interior color on 1963 F-Series pickups specifically was gray. 

No real conflict, Tim; the '63 brochure confirms the seats had gray upholstery. The '61/'62 seats were brown, and in '64 the range of colors went to four. This had no effect on the paintwork pre-'64.

Edited by mk11

12 hours ago, mk11 said:

No real conflict, Tim; the '63 brochure confirms the seats had gray upholstery. The '61/'62 seats were brown, and in '64 the range of colors went to four. This had no effect on the paintwork.

Thanks Mike....that matches what i recall from when I did the research and the building of the review model...TB  

• Like 1

When I worked a few summers at a large municipal park in the mid-1970s, we drove Ford pickups built from the early to mid-1960s.  They had smooth black vinyl seats like what you'd find in a basic taxicab.    Most, if not all, were Custom Cabs, but were basic with no power steering or brakes, and manual transmissions.  I would think they were bid out as fleet sales to the city.  

Got mine!

Every little bit as cool as I'd hoped for.  Initial fit of major subassemblies is very precise, with one minor exception - you might find it necessary to take a bit of material off the locators at the rear of the bed liner where it seats against the chassis.  I sanded the undersurface of the bed liner flush in that area (there will still be circular reliefs), and took the ring bosses on the chassis plate down to about half their original height; the liner now seats dead-square on the chassis plate.

And if that's the biggest issue with this kit, you might just want a few of 'em.  I've come to that conclusion. 👍😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 5:01 AM, tim boyd said:

... to avoid damaging the tampo printing always insert the wheels from behind the outward face of the tire.  Doing it the other way will almost surely damage the tampo printing, and also may leave unsightly marks where the tire sidewall bent to accommodate inserting the wheel....TB  

X 2, and emphatically.

Inserting the wheel from behind is actually my go-to move for any hollow tire that has to stretch over wheel flanges.  I've found that even the blackwalls can get scuffed up if you press in the wheel from the front.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:04 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Finally starting to show up on eBay; hope Model Roundup is rounding them up to ship now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134926329078

Interesting... same seller has another dented-box special up for bids. Did a case of them get dropped when the ship was unloaded?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134938280491

9 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Every little bit as cool as I'd hoped for.  Initial fit of major subassemblies is very precise, with one minor exception - you might find it necessary to take a bit of material off the locators at the rear of the bed liner where it seats against the chassis.  I sanded the undersurface of the bed liner flush in that area (there will still be circular reliefs), and took the ring bosses on the chassis plate down to about half their original height; the liner now seats dead-square on the chassis plate.

Any Pics of what you are talking about Chuck? I'm not sure which parts you are referring to.

Sure, Alan -

I'll try to be more specific with the explanation, then see about pictures a bit later.

There are two pieces that make up the bed, the outer fender assembly and the inner liner that incorporates the wheel wells.  The bottom surface of the liner is the mating surface between it and the chassis plate, and the designer's intent seems to be that there's no daylight between the two parts when they're glued together.

The front locators on both the chassis plate and the bed liner, just forward of the wheel wells, allow this straightaway.  The rear ones, just ahead of the rear bumper/tailgate area, stood a bit proud in my sample. So there was a a small gap between the liner and the plate just behind the rear wheels.

Don't know if took even five minutes to sort that all out with a file.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Sure, Alan -

I'll try to be more specific with the explanation, then see about pictures a bit later.

There are two pieces that make up the bed, the outer fender assembly and the inner liner that incorporates the wheel wells.  The bottom surface of the liner is the mating surface between it and the chassis plate, and the designer's intent seems to be that there's no daylight between the two parts when they're glued together.

The front locators on both the chassis plate and the bed liner, just forward of the wheel wells, allow this straightaway.  The rear ones, just ahead of the rear bumper/tailgate area, stood a bit proud in my sample. So there was a a small gap between the liner and the plate just behind the rear wheels.

Don't know if took even five minutes to sort that all out with a file.

Thanks, Chuck!

That explanation is clear enough now.

I don't need the Photos.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:50 PM, tim boyd said:

Just a heads-up if that you are building a factory stock 1963 F100, the rear vertical moldings of the vent windows are black, not plated.  Likewise, the roof drip rail is body color, not plated. 

There is not as much reference material as usual regarding 1963 F100 Custom Cab interiors, and the 1963 Ford truck brochures show illustrations rather than actual vehicle images, but to the best of my ability this shows the correct paint layout for Custom Cab F100s that year.  Most of the interior is gray, with the exterior body color being applied to portions of the door panels and the lower section of the instrument panel as in the image below.   The door armrests are black. In the case of bodies painted 1963 Ford Rangoon Red, some of the interiors apparently wore the Corinthian White accent panels instead of red, but I would not stake a strong bet on that being definitive/covers all guidance.  I welcome any further guidance anyone can add here. 

The engraved section of the seatback and seat bottom wore a very fine multi-color horizontal pinstriped appearance which I did not attempt to replicate but would be an easy subject for an aftermarket decal or to be included on the decal sheet of the next version of the AMT 1963 F100 kit to be produced at some point in the future.  

Finally, the 1/1 Custom Cabs for 1963 included the upper body side molding that is so nicely engraved on the new Round 2 tool (it was a disaster in the original 1963 annual kit), and that molding featured a contrasting paint color insert.  Given the quick turnaround timing of my project I did not attempt to add that insert this time around, but I certainly will on a follow-up project later.  For the 1963 Corinthian White exterior, the 1/1 insert was bright red.   

Hope this info helps those of you building product-correct factory stock, or aged/patinaed originally factory stock models. 

Best...TB 

image.png.f84174fb4ad8e947eb0c5320d560d539.png

If you want to muddy the waters even further, Ford was known to re-use illustrations and photos from previous model years, even if what was shown was no longer how the trucks came. 

For instance, I don't recall the year, but Custom Cab models originally came with black steering wheels. Later on, Custom Cab interiors were equipped with white or color keyed steering wheels, even though you will see factory literature showing a plain black steering wheel in a Custom Cab after this change happened. And that's just one example.

3 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

If you want to muddy the waters even further, Ford was known to re-use illustrations and photos from previous model years, even if what was shown was no longer how the trucks came. 

For instance, I don't recall the year, but Custom Cab models originally came with black steering wheels. Later on, Custom Cab interiors were equipped with white or color keyed steering wheels, even though you will see factory literature showing a plain black steering wheel in a Custom Cab after this change happened. And that's just one example.

Perhaps the white a/o lighter colour tillers were offered - or standard - in hotter climates ? Similar to the CHP-spec white steering wheel ?

1 hour ago, Chuck Most said:

If that's the case I'm not aware of it.

Chuck, given  your past pickup truck model projects and knowledge, I will be particularly interested in hearing your thoughts once you check out the 1960 and (especially) 1963 unibody kits....TIM 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Chuck, given  your past pickup truck model projects and knowledge, I will be particularly interested in hearing your thoughts once you check out the 1960 and (especially) 1963 unibody kits....TIM 

Trust me, both subjects are at the top of the project priorities list. I'm keeping my expectations in check seeing as how they're reverse engineered annual kits with some modern concessions but if they're done at least as well as the Nova wagon, I don't think I'm gonna have much to complain about.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On a side note, can we all take a moment to appreciate the new tires, Round2 has tooled up for the '60 and '63 Ford pickups!

Although actual name-brand tires would have been preferred, I really like the tread detail and sidewall profile of these narrow bia-ply tires. Upon opening the box I immediately swiped the blackwall tires intended for the trailer to use as frontrunners on an early sixties' style gasser. 

I really hope that we'll see these nice tires in other future releases, including as a parts pack!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I recently ordered one of the 1960 Ford F-100 kits, and I have some questions. I see that the truck comes with a V8, and it looks like a nice engine; however, it has a tri-carb setup. Did these trucks come standard with that, or is that a performance modification? It doesn't seem like the kit has any other intake manifold or carburetor. 

Next, the kit comes with a trailer, which is an interesting addition. I've watched several review videos of the kit, and I didn't see a trailer hitch for the truck. Did I just miss it in the parts review, or is there really no hitch in the kit?  Seems like a strange oversight if not.

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

So I recently ordered one of the 1960 Ford F-100 kits, and I have some questions. I see that the truck comes with a V8, and it looks like a nice engine; however, it has a tri-carb setup. Did these trucks come standard with that, or is that a performance modification? It doesn't seem like the kit has any other intake manifold or carburetor. 

Next, the kit comes with a trailer, which is an interesting addition. I've watched several review videos of the kit, and I didn't see a trailer hitch for the truck. Did I just miss it in the parts review, or is there really no hitch in the kit?  Seems like a strange oversight if not.

The engine in the '60 Ford is a Y-Block V8, which was a factory option on that generation of F100a.  The Tri-Power carbs were not factory stock, but presumably could have been ordered through the dealer parts department.   Another option would be to swap over parts from the new '63 Unibody F100 kit which has a very cool aftermarket Supercharger configuration, and since the basic engine tooling is shared between the two kits, should fit without issue (though I do recall reading that you would have to modify the passenger side engine compartment walls to accommodate the blower which fits on that side of the engine.  Finally, theoretically you could switch over the factory stock parts in the c.1996 Revell reissue (red built model on the box art) of the '56 F100 kit...

As for a hitch on the truck itself, looking at the instruction sheet, it calls out parts #TP 28 ("trailer hitch") and #TP 37 ("Trailer hitch pin") in the final assembly of the Stock build version.  Have not looked through the kit to verify those parts are there, though. 

Best..TB 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jim B said:

Thanks, Tim.  I appreciate it.  Guess I'm going to have to see if I can scrounge up a stock manifold, carburetor, & air cleaner.

Jim, just remember that the Intake Manifold and Heads on the pickup are all one piece, and trap the exhaust manifolds/headers between the heads and the block. You'll need to do some minor surgery in order to fit a single carb manifold. I've been eyeing the stock intakes from the AMT '56 & '57 Fords as donors.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Jim, just remember that the Intake Manifold and Heads on the pickup are all one piece, and trap the exhaust manifolds/headers between the heads and the block. You'll need to do some minor surgery in order to fit a single carb manifold. I've been eyeing the stock intakes from the AMT '56 & '57 Fords as donors.

Thanks.  That's good to know.

• 4 weeks later...

I see that this kit keeps getting pushed back farther and farther for availability for the next Run. One Noted Online Retailer has pushed the kit from "MId-April" to just "May" and three Days ago to simply "June"......

If you waited to get one, the re-order time keeps shifting. They must be completely sold out now. The '63's are getting thin on the ground, too.

These seem to be enormously popular kits.