Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine suggestions please.....

I'm working on a competition coupe based upon the Revell Slingster. I've made bunches of changes and would like to figure out what engine to put in it before I start posting pictures. The engine could be either injected or blown. I've thought of several options and would like suggestions as to well detailed engines that would have been used from 1959-63, which seems to be the era these cars were most popular. Some thoughts I've had:

Stock Slingster motor (not my first choice as I'll build another CC coupe, which will be a replica of an actual car and that motor choice seems right for that project)

Tony Nancy 22 Jr. kit- either the Buick or the super stock 426 although the 426 seems too new even without Hemi heads

Don Garlits 1964 Swamp Rat- this is a version of the 392. Some say its undersized. If I can find some Red Ram valve covers it would be interesting

AMT Willys Olds

Other suggestions?

1 hour ago, gasser59 said:

Personally, I think the Revell Miss Deal kit has the best hemi. I don't care for the injection system so I switch that out with the Willy Borsch. The time period seems right for your build.

I agree with Brad, if you want an early Hemi, for sure! Small block Chevy,  I would go with the one from AMT's '66 Nova.

9 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

I am using LKQ1320's 392 in the Royal Canadian and I can attest to it's scale fidelity, Comp Resins Donovan is also good.   I'm a fan of injected motors but either one would be a good choice IMHO.  Mark Johnson also makes very good motors.

Speaking of Donovans...I just made a mold of this one, the other day. I used Plastruct letters. I built it using the original article from Hot Rod. I may yet add dimples for the head studs. Once I get some new resin, I may cast a couple up, and see just how detailed I can bet with it, separating the girdle, and taking the mill to the block--maybe.

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

IMG_0034.JPG

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Speaking of Donovans...I just made a mold of this one, the other day. I used Plastruct letters. I built it using the original article from Hot Rod. I may yet add dimples for the head studs. Once I get some new resin, I may cast a couple up, and see just how detailed I can bet with it, separating the girdle, and taking the mill to the block--maybe.

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

IMG_0034.JPG

Unbelievable job on getting the detail on that Donovan block, it would be nice if someone would work up one of the Aluminium 410c.i. blocks that is a copy of the Small Block Chevy. But all the extra milling around the bell housing area and the sides of the block where water inlets are and the milling done to cut weight off and the dry sump inlets and suction ports would drive a preacher to drink.😉 I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished casting looks like.

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

IMG_0034.JPG

That looks very good, well done.

4 hours ago, horsepower said:

Unbelievable job on getting the detail on that Donovan block, it would be nice if someone would work up one of the Aluminium 410c.i. blocks that is a copy of the Small Block Chevy. But all the extra milling around the bell housing area and the sides of the block where water inlets are and the milling done to cut weight off and the dry sump inlets and suction ports would drive a preacher to drink.😉 I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished casting looks like.

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to take on that one! The mold appears to be fine, but, my resin has gone bad, and it foamed up, when I mixed it. A ton of air in the casting! It should be pretty decent, once I have good resin.

3 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

That looks very good, well done.

Thanks, Ian. The world needed a 1/25 417!😁

For an early Sixties dragster or competition coupe, a non-Chrysler, non-Chevy engine is still a viable alternative.  Early Olds:  AMT Willys, Revell old-tool Willys, Revell Anglia/Thames (injected), Revell Orange Crate (crank drive blower).  Cadillac: AMT '59 El Camino, AMT '49 Ford coupe.  Pontiac: Revell parts pack, AMT parts pack, older issues of the Revell '56 Ford pickup.

• Like 1