Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24 '55 Chevy Gasser

Mr mopar

For a kit tooled 60+ years ago, Monogram, and then Revell, sure have gotten their moneys worth out of that tooling!

I hope

On 4/21/2022 at 6:55 AM, disconovaman said:

front spoiler, Header/exhaust extensions, wheels/tires (Slicks and Drag Mags) and wheelie bars

I sure hope at least the Headers, spoiler, and Wheelie Bars make it into the kit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Oh man, I wouldn't touch that thing, it has so much vintage cool factor.

8 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

replace missing parts

7 hours ago, showrods said:

Agreed - a little gentle soap and water and I'm sure that about 90-95% of that would clean right off.  

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I've been on the fence since I got the dang thing so I haven't touched it. I'll tell ya it's got some pretty narley tire melts on the top and hood. At the very least I'd like to repaint the top and possibly replace the hood. No parts are missing but a 60's custom to me, should have a front pan so I'd be into crafting something to fit. Id like to look into re-chroming the wheels and other parts also... 

9 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Monogram already had the windshield too short. Could you measure and share? Also' keep in mind when you alter yours to a sedan, the sedan windows, both windshield and back glass, are 1/2-inch taller than hardtops.

Yeah, definitely the windshield frame was too short but with the convertible it didn't look too bad. I measured it and it's 5/8th of an inch with the top on. I had plans of harvesting the top from a junkyard 55 Street machine I have and cutting some posts from sheet styrene stock. I don't know if I'll go that route. I'm gonna wait for the re-issue for now.

15 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I'm gonna wait for the re-issue for now.

It's a tough choice, right? On one hand, you preserve the build as a piece of hobby history, but on the other, it's not YOUR history and has no personal connection, so what do you do? I would have no problem personally with modifying it, these things are not precious, BUT there is the easy availability of exactly the same parts to create what you want, so why bother?! You and Plowboy have got me appreciating just how actually pretty well proportioned the rest of the ol' gal really is. Make it into a top-down ragtop, and it could look quite spiffy with just a little work! Monogram apparently had a heck of a time with greenhouse proportions on their tri-fives. I'm slowly picking at a '56 as we speak...don't get me started...

I will still wish for those Starbird custom pieces!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

don't get me started...

There out there... I was at a swapmeet in Carlisle PA here about 4 years ago found an original 55 unbuilt it was all molded in cream! all the custom parts it was a later reissue... The price was 40 bucks I passed on it, kicked myself ever since! 

I totally understand about those Monogram Tri-fives... I never let the inaccuracies bother me. The 56 is one of my favorite kits. I've built so many...

On a side note, the 55 was turned into a slot car in 65. You can get an idea of where all the ideas for the Badman came from... the slot car was molded in yellow and the boxart showed radious wheelwells although the contents in the box didn't match the boxart. 

Screenshot_20220421-095048_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I've been on the fence since I got the dang thing so I haven't touched it. I'll tell ya it's got some pretty narley tire melts on the top and hood. At the very least I'd like to repaint the top and possibly replace the hood. No parts are missing but a 60's custom to me, should have a front pan so I'd be into crafting something to fit. Id like to look into re-chroming the wheels and other parts also... 

10 hours ago, bisc63 said:

It's a tough choice, right? On one hand, you preserve the build as a piece of hobby history, but on the other, it's not YOUR history and has no personal connection, so what do you do? I would have no problem personally with modifying it, these things are not precious, BUT there is the easy availability of exactly the same parts to create what you want, so why bother?! You and Plowboy have got me appreciating just how actually pretty well proportioned the rest of the ol' gal really is. Make it into a top-down ragtop, and it could look quite spiffy with just a little work! Monogram apparently had a heck of a time with greenhouse proportions on their tri-fives. I'm slowly picking at a '56 as we speak...don't get me started...

Anthony, I totally understand the conundrum you're faced with. I'm not a person that believes everything old should be 100% preserved when it comes to models. Sometimes it's better to "fix", finish, alter or completely blow apart an old build. For me it's on a case by case basis. I had not noticed the tire melt when I first saw the pics. If it was just the roof I would body work it and paint it the same off white, but since it's on the hood too trying to match that blue paint will be near impossible. So I understand your want to modify it or recreate it. But once you do that you lose all the charm of the original. Like I said, a conundrum. In this case I would build my own new version of it because the style points are what really make this one work for me with the appearance of the top chop and the blue beetle wheels give it such a kool attitude. 

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I would strip the whole thing and start over. Keep it as it is. But, with a nice paint job. I agree that it needs the front pan back on also. That was a popular modification back in  the day. But, it looks goofy. Whatever you do with it, make yours. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I totally understand the conundrum you're faced with.

6 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I would strip the whole thing and start over.

I have a hard time showcasing old built ups because usually they aren't built to how I'd represent them.

It does have minimal painted parts so  If I do decide to restore it would be an easy job. If not, I would probably pass it on to someone who would appreciate it for what it is... A time capsule... In the mean time I'll wait for the Re-pop to see what inspiration that brings. I started restoring the Revell 56 that was in the same collection it was an original build also.

20210731_202617.jpg

20210627_150443.jpg

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Anyone see any more about the release of this one?

Soon, it's already on pre-order for retailer's...this is from the website Hobbynut Models in the pre-order section for $32.95. The American Hero Gasser and second option "Under Pressure" decal sheet is really inspiring. Really cool and well thought out, I like the new design.

Screenshot_20220906-214722_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Soon, it's already on pre-order for retailer's...this is from the website Hobbynut Models in the pre-order section for $32.95. The American Hero Gasser and second option "Under Pressure" decal sheet is really inspiring. Really cool and well thought out, I like the new design.

Awesome, thank you!  I did a casual search for a preorder link but just kept on finding this thread 🤪

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

The American Hero Gasser and second option "Under Pressure" decal sheet is really inspiring.

...and has proper small-block Chevy call outs this time! The engine no longer masquerades as a 396! ( Looking at you, BADMAN )

On 4/26/2022 at 7:23 PM, disconovaman said:

I have a hard time showcasing old built ups because usually they aren't built to how I'd represent them.

It does have minimal painted parts so  If I do decide to restore it would be an easy job. If not, I would probably pass it on to someone who would appreciate it for what it is... A time capsule... In the mean time I'll wait for the Re-pop to see what inspiration that brings. I started restoring the Revell 56 that was in the same collection it was an original build also.

20210731_202617.jpg

20210627_150443.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but what is the yellow Chev (Naked Mexican/Super Shops) in the above photo -?  Has it been painted?  Looks like a vintage build - is it?  I love the patina on it regardless.  

Edited by showrods

On 4/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, Plowboy said:

I hope it come with two sets of wheels and tires! 

Looks like it will definitely have two sets of wheels, from the built-ups in that pic above!  Sweet!

Edit - and do those rear tires look different between the two cars too?  Maybe an extra set of rears, at a minimum...

Edited by CabDriver

14 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Looks like it will definitely have two sets of wheels, from the built-ups in that pic above!  Sweet!

Edit - and do those rear tires look different between the two cars too?  Maybe an extra set of rears, at a minimum...

The slotted wheels on the white version look like they might be the same style as came with the red 'Street Rat' version of the  '66 Malibu flip-nose? 

Edited by Rob Hall

13 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I like that they slipped some some of the Bad Man parts back in. (Wheels and grille on the blue one). Scoop on the white one. Now we just need an aftermarket decal maker to step up to the plate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Funny thing is, Tom himself says its both a 396 AND a 283 in his description of the car:

https://www.tomdaniel.com/85_kits/85_kits_pages/badman.html

😁

I think that is Monogram's ad copy from the side of the box. I personally don't care what they want to call it. I'm just glad much of it is back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The slotted wheels on the white version look like they might be the same style as came with the red 'Street Rat' version of the  '66 Malibu flip-nose? 

I doubt it. More than likely, they're the same slots that always came in the black street machine version.

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Looks like it has both the "Badman" and the street machine wheels and tires. I don't remember the rear slicks sticking out that far though.

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Now we just need an aftermarket decal maker to step up to the plate.

I made my own decals for the BadMan but yeah I think these decals are some of Revell's best work in recent years. I'll buy the kit regardless but the decals are a nice bonus and not to mention the return of the Gasser parts from the race version. 😉 

Screenshot_20190902-082410.png

20190822_155053.jpg

20190907_090350(0).jpg

• Like 1