Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT/Round2 1972 GMC Jimmy project.

For many years I have looked hard at the reissued 1/25 AMT/Round2 1972 Chevrolet Blazer and GMC Jimmy kits, but paused when it came time to actually purchase one. I finally gave-in, and just recently started the Jimmy kit. This post will show you what I have done so far. First pics are of my completed engine inside the nearly-completed chassis. 

One thing that immediately troubled me regarding the engine was the overall length of the engine block; it seemed several scale-inches too long to my eyes. So I modified it, the oil pan and intake manifold to shorten its overall length. I also replaced some of the kit's engine parts with pieces I liked better from my parts box. In my attempt to make my build appear 5-10 years old, both engine and chassis have some weathering applied.

Your comments, suggestions and/or criticisms are welcome.

PXL_20220414_221001267.jpg

PXL_20220414_221027656.jpg

Edited by '70 Grande
  • Like 2

Two other characteristics of these kits that troubled me were the enormous opening in the firewall for the transmission and the large gaps underneath between the interior bottom and the inner door/inner body panels. The following two pics show my added-modifications for those two issues 

PXL_20220319_162420353.jpg

PXL_20220414_220825470.jpg

• Like 1

I have found 6-lug rear wheels in my parts box to correctly match the kit-supplied front wheels. One challenge will be dealing with the horribly warped roof piece.  Paint color for this build was recommended by my wife; it will be a strong Navy Blue replicating 1:1 Chevy/GMC #2366 Commercial Dark Blue with a Tan interior. I have purchased a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires for this project from Fireball Modelworks, (awesome products), and am now waiting for the outside weather to warm up enough so I can spray some Navy Blue paint... updates to come. Any comments and/or criticisms welcome.

Realistically, if you don't plan to remove the roof for display I've found it is best to glue it on to get it straight. Also worth noting is that the hinges for the rear hatch aren't the greatest. I find them oversized and fragile.

I've done the same firewall modifications and completely swapped out the engines. The kits block is just too funny to make look right and the SM465 looks better with a 1:24 engine, IMO.

https://public.fotki.com/fabrux/blazerjimmy/

Hi Mark, great progress on this project. I have built 3 Blazers, (about to start a 4th) and have the Jimmy kit for a future build. All 5 kits have the same warp issue with the top, very unfortunate. Your insights on the kit are spot on. I had seen someone else on this forum correct the HUGE firewall opening as well. The engine block is oddly long, I had never noticed that before. Thanks for sharing your fixes! Hope you don’t mind, I will be starting a WIP soon, but I’m a slow builder….

Cheers, Steve

Getting the major parts in this project ready for the paint booth. Because this Jimmy kit comes with no outside rear view mirrors, it means digging thru the parts box. Sadly, my parts box didn't have any good choices, so the next step means scratch building these mirrors. Seen below is my method of making rear view mirror mounting brackets from those plastic-covered paper clips you probably have dozens of in a kitchen drawer somewhere... results seen in my pics.

PXL_20220423_142005754.jpg

PXL_20220423_144901192.jpg

Another quirk of this kit, the kit-supplied metal axles are too long for the kit's front/rear molded axles meaning even if you push those metal axles as deep as possible into the wheel backs, once mounted to your build, there will be a noticeable gap between the ends of the molded axles and your wheel backs. My simple solution, cut one metal axle into 4 equal-length pieces and mount each wheel individually on the build.

PXL_20220423_150511084.jpg