Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need a car recommendation

Hey, if it ain’t broke......

You’re not going to find anything more reliable than a Toyota.

Maybe a Honda Pilot or one of the all wheel drive Subarus.

Don’t disappoint yourself with some of these supposed “heavy duty” off road vehicles. 
What you save on struts you’ll more than make up for with all of the other mechanical issues that nobody ever seems to want to admit to. 😉

Steve

We've had excellent results from our last two Nissans. We had an '01 Xterra. Desert sorties didn't faze the suspension in the slightest. The 2WD worked better than some 4WD. Then again, my wife is a skilled off-road driver. The rest of the truck was everything we needed. It held up for 265K miles with mostly routine maintenance until the transmission gave out. My friends with the 4WD version like it a lot, and you definitely need 4WD. 

Our current vehicle is a Nissan Frontier. Same drivetrain as the Xterra. Again, rock solid with only routine maintenance. When this one wears out, we'll probably replace it with another one in 4WD. (we inherited a boat in the interim)

If you end up with any more front end rebuilds, I would consider using poly bushings. They're somewhat harsher riding than the factory rubber parts, but they hold up much better. We use them in our British sports cars for better handling. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 11:30 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

If you DID want a truck, I suggest an '85 or so Toyota 4X4 pickup. I'll be looking for one myself when I get moved.

They're built like tanks, they're simple, used parts are plentiful, there's a strong aftermarket due to their popularity, and their value is going up every day.

Had an 84 - they are the last of the great trucks, well, at least last of the cool trucks you could work on easy and were reliable as heck. They are, however, really hard to find these days - especially ones that aren’t trashed or converted into some stubby off road abomination. And, yeah, value is definitely following the upward trend. 

I would 100% look at Toyota 4Runner. If you want reliability and longevity and the ability to handle dirt roads, this is the vehicle to get. It’s still a truck chassis with an SUV body - one of the very few to still be configured with an actual frame. I would not recommend a Subaru - yes they are popular, yes every other person in the Northwest drives one - but if your roads are wearing out a Highlander, they will do the same to a Subaru. Also, Subarus are not as reliable as most people think. They suffered for ages with major head gasket issues (our 2000 has had them replaced twice) then major oil consumption issues, then major issues with CVT transmissions. Our 2017 Outback was one of the most unreliable cars we’ve owned - not only did the transmission start to fail at 42k miles, the car constantly required new batteries - four in our four years of ownership. Subaru is well aware of the issues and doesn’t do a lot to fix them - they gave us a new battery twice and a cutting board and coffee cup. I’ve had three Subarus and they have been less and less reliable the newer they were. Jeeps would be able to handle the road but are not in the same class of reliability or ride comfort or overall usability as the Toyota. 

Just to add - I work in the woods of North Idaho and have for 30+ years. Tacomas are the “go-to” for backcountry travel up here. 

Edited by Erik Smith

Hey Rob, reconsider the 4 runner. It is a great one-car decision, but It’s as much of a truck as your wife’s pickup.

i was there years ago. I loved my 4x4s but always had a sports sedan too for, well, sport ... shared with the family (of course). Nowadays the cars are called suvs and are a great alternate to trucks. Although lately, are more for some kinda metro-mom stylin’

The last few years I’ve been shopping like hell for a replacement for my 07 ford freestyle (can ya believe that) ... Volvo chasis, captain chairs, 3rd row (that never saw daylight), cargo room for an 8 foot Xmas tree with paper ornaments that never got wet in a snowstorm, and a CVT(!) tranny that NEVER slipped in the snow ... I kid you not ... and I found ‘they don’t make em like dat no mo”

So, on My list, I got:

Toyota Highlander SE (black wheels look cool with contrasting stitchin’ On the leather captain chairs that hopefully fold down for my German shepherd)

Subaru Accent (captain chairs, leather, giant moon roof, and an CVT - although they got a standing recall on that 🙂

GMC Acadia ... little tight, but legit black wheels too

Honda Pilot ... got it all but I think all the used ones got those soccer family stickers on the back window

Chevy traverse ... expensive for a Chevy but seems really good if it ain’t too long for the garage

Volkswagon Atlas. BIG car ... I’d consider it for the cargo room ... still not as big inside as the freestyle though

... anyway, all these cars are surprising in the snow and a nice ride on gravel ... none as good as the ole ford but  I got an artificial tree that I don’t have to haul around so ...

ill let ya know if I pull the trigger before you, but lemme know if you go first

On 5/31/2022 at 2:17 PM, LaughingIndian said:

... anyway, all these cars are surprising in the snow and a nice ride on gravel ... none as good as the ole ford but  I got an artificial tree that I don’t have to haul around so ...

ill let ya know if I pull the trigger before you, but lemme know if you go first

Will do. But if I was only worried about how well a vehicle performs on my gravel roads and snow, I'd buy another Highlander. It's been a great car. The best I've ever owned. BUT, it's not built for the conditions I live in. It's designed to get the the kids to soccer practice and the folks to the office. I need something built more truck-like. So a V6 4Runner sounds like my best bet. 

In any case, I'm determined to get another two years out of the Highlander. I've just put $3K into the front end and I intend to get some use out of it as the engine and tranny are still going strong.

Do not buy any used ford truck. The undercab pinch welds are not  sealed with any sealer and the cab corners and wheel wells rust out when dirt gets in there then gets wet from snow and rain. The rockers rust out at 100k miles. I know this because I own one.  2011 ford f-150 , not aluminum body.

In my last years of working, I just bought beaters to drive to work. I never gave over $2500 for one. I would drive them until they were worn out, sell them and buy another. A couple that I bought, I sold them for more than I gave for them and one I sold for the same that I gave for it. So, I was almost driving for free except for gas. I drove over 80 miles one way every day. So, I racked up mileage quick. It didn't make sense to me to wear out a nice vehicle when beaters are so plentiful and cheap. Might be something for you to consider given your driving conditions. My favorite beater was an old Jeep XJ 2 door. Dependable 4.0 six cylinder and 21 mpg. 

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

My favorite beater was an old Jeep XJ 2 door. Dependable 4.0 six cylinder and 21 mpg. 

I bought a ‘94 4dr XJ when it was a couple years old. I kept it stock and it was one of my all time favourite vehicles. My neighbour across the back lane had a Four Runner. We went for a ride after a blizzard and he was amazed how much snow I could plow through.🙂

On 5/20/2022 at 7:31 PM, Jantrix said:

As some may have noted in past posts, I live on a little acreage in an Idaho canyon. It is 12 miles off the paved road. Another 28 highway in to work. The gravel roads are well maintained by the county, but it's still rough on my vehicle.

Wow!  I'm only 6 miles from work and my cars never leave pavement, even in my driveway!

Just a comment on the new vs used....     There are vehicles better bought new.  Think Toyota, Honda, Jeep and other vehicles with a high resale value.  Between preferred financing on new ones,  and a near (if not above these days!) the original price, a new one can be cheaper.   Plus you don't have to worry about who off roaded it to hell!  

And leases work like that too.  A dozen years ago the company that assembled my office furniture worked out of leased Dodge Caravans.  At replacement time they found that due to higher residual value,  Honda minivans were actually cheaper to lease!  

These days, with shortages on just about everything, new cars are hard to get and being sold for over list.  My local dealer has added a $15,000 sticker on the Broncos.  Used ones are selling for what they cost new.  I just saw a 2015 Hyundai Elantra with 115,000 miles in it on Facebook for $11,500... I own that same car I bought used in 2017 with 22,000 miles on it for (drum roll!) $11,500 cash! 

And with folks saying they'll wait out the current crisis,  I say be cautious.  All we need is for China to shut down Taiwan.. guess where all the semi-conductors are made?  Cars may never be cheaper!