Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rodder's Journal magazine

misterNNL

Looks like the last post on their FB page was Jan. 3, 2021.

A dealer who handles the mag, Holohan's Hot Rod Shop, posted a blurb saying that the mag had moved its offices, and publication would resume in 2022 with issue #85.

https://holohanshotrods.com/product/rodders-journal-85-available-soon/

In a quick search, that's all I turned up.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

They haven't done a decent job of keeping people informed, but they are supposedly working on getting back in print.  The last issue was in the pipeline, but it has been said that some distributors destroyed unsold copied because they couldn't ship them or store them.  From what little I know about magazine distribution, that doesn't cost them, it all comes out of the publisher's bottom line.  I've read about no copies reaching subscribers in Australia, for example.

Whatever the case, I'm pulling for them.  It would be easy to hide behind the "well, you know...Covid" excuse so many others seem to be doing.  I too plumped for the "lifetime" deal, it's by far the best car magazine out there.  

I ponied up for a two year subscription starting with #82 plus some additional swag and quite a few books. Never received a thing. Customer service number had been disconnected and no response to numerous emails as well. By all accounts I've seen the magazine is done. I know there's many hopeful readers but the lack of any decent communication other than empty promises over the last couple of years was pitiful. He couldn't even communicate in a timely manner on the FB page or the website, instead making pathetic apologies on the H.A.M.B. forum. He at one point did post apologies to the foreign subscribers on the FB page with no mention of the domestic orders he failed to fulfill. The latest posting about being back in 2022 is just more nonsense. As far as I'm concerned Steve Coonan is a thief.

Edited by Phirewriter

15 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

I ponied up for a two year subscription starting with #82 plus some additional swag and quite a few books. Never received a thing. Customer service number had been disconnected and no response to numerous emails as well...As far as I'm concerned Steve Coonan is a thief.

I certainly understand your position. No communication in business is pretty much unforgivable.

Sad part is that it's becoming increasingly common, even with going concerns, to fail abysmally in the communication area.

I really liked RJ, and hope they do get back on track.

Lotsa folks thought MCM was gone for good, but they surprised the naysayers. Maybe Rodder's Journal will too.

Lack of communication is one thing, receiving nothing in almost 2 years (probably never) is taking the money and running. It does make me sad, this was one of my favorite publications. I have every issue from #1, the latest 3 not withstanding. Part of it is my fault for not filing a claim with my CC earlier but I like many I'm sure, was holding out hope TRJ would get their stuff together and make good on their orders and subscriptions. 

The big lie as far as I'm concerned was blaming it on COVID. Funny, nothing else I ordered during that time failed to get to me. This included art supplies, model and hobby items, OTHER BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS and much more. Also dealers getting issues 83/4 but not domestic subscribers? I dunno, too much stink floating around Coonan. 

Edited by Phirewriter

• 1 month later...

Just got word of this.

Pat Ganahl's blog post linked above is the first announcement that TRJ are shippng issue #85. The post offers some info but we still don't know much about the the 2 years or so they went dark. However it does give you a pretty thorough peak into the new issue and unequivocally states that existing subscribers can assume that the magazine is already en route to them.

The TRJ website itself seems not to have been updated yet stating:

In 2022 we plan to resume a normal publishing schedule. We are working on two immediate goals to get us back on track. First, we are very far along in publishing TRJ #85 and aim to get it out to subscribers and dealers as soon as possible. The second is that we are working on shipping/reshipping all orders that have been placed but have not been received.

Until we have taken care of these issues, we are not accepting new orders for subscriptions, back issues or merchandise. We feel we must take care of existing obligations before accepting new business.

Here's a link: https://www.roddersjournal.com/

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 4:34 PM, Muncie said:

Good stuff Bernard, looking forward to seeing it - thank you

8 hours ago, casassa said:

I received the email August 12 informing me TRJ #85 was at the mailing house. I haven't received my copy yet in central Indiana. Have anyone here received their copy?

I just received my copy of issue #85 in today's mail. 144 pages + covers, sealed in cellophane, shipped in the usual sturdy cardboard envelope. Arrived in pristine condition with the quality of photography, editorial content and production 100% at the level I've come to expect. 👌👍😎

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

I just received my copy of issue #85 in today's mail. 144 pages + covers, sealed in cellophane, shipped in the usual sturdy cardboard envelope. Arrived in pristine condition with the quality of photography, editorial content and production 100% at the level I've come to expect. 👌👍😎

You just made my day.   :D

Explain's why I have not seen an issue at Chapters or other newstands in over an year in Halifax.

Collectible Automobile (bi-monthly) and Rodder's journal are the two car magazines I still purchase. I would like to see Rodder's Journal as a bi-monthly instead of quarterly.

• 1 month later...