Model Cars Magazine Forum

Un-Overdoing the Batman Forever Batmobile

Jantrix

Interesting bit of feedback about Horold Allnut Rob.

The first Batman comics I used to read had the bat sign logo on his chest as just a black bat shape on the grey of his costume.

Not sure when the bat sign on a yellow oval began to be used,

The later movie versions of Batman's costume from the Michael Keaton era onwards really started to look sinister.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Interesting bit of feedback about Horold Allnut Rob.

The first Batman comics I used to read had the bat sign logo on his chest as just a black bat shape on the grey of his costume.

Not sure when the bat sign on a yellow oval began to be used,

The later movie versions of Batman's costume from the Michael Keaton era onwards really started to look sinister.

Sinister is the point. It always was. The camp of the Adam West TV show or even the 70's cartoons, never reflected what the comic writers wanted the Batman to be. That was just made fun for the kids to sell toys.

As for the chest bat symbols, this timeline is pretty accurate.

Classic Comics - DETECTIVE COMICS #33 (1939) - BATMAN ON FILM

Batman Logo history

• Like 1

Rob, thanks for showing the origin of The Barman from what must have been the very first Batman comic.

The chart you placed in the thread showing the evolution of the bat logo was very informative.

The camp Adam West Batman TV series was a bit of a joke, and I expect it was meant to be. The movies have gradually moved the character back to being a fearsome adversary.

I wonder if there is a good book available showing the evolution of the Batman, his cars and gadgets from the comics and the movies. Out of all the super heroes, the Batman has always been my favourite since I was a kid way back in the 50's. Never lost his appeal.

The clips I have seen of the new 2022 movie look to be portraying the Barman at his most sinister to date!

I have deviated a bit from  this model build that I will be following with interest.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

16 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

the new 2022 movie look to be portraying the Barman at his most sinister to date!

Most boring to date. Awful nothingness. This model build is way more interesting, intriguing, and purposeful in every way. I care how this one ends!

• Thanks 1

I built one of these a few years ago, box-stock.  It's probably my least favorite Batmobile but I gave it all the attention I give to all my builds and I think it turned out rather well.

Batmbl95_12_10.jpg.4a98f4a7718f7aadfd9ffe6b89f947bb.jpg

It goes without saying that I'm very interested to see what you do with yours. I do like what you've done so far.

David G.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 2:42 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Sounds like there was no plot to the latest 2022 Batman movie judging by your comment Rusty.

This kit conversion is really interesting to follow and I will be looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Like you, Batman has always been my favorite "superhero" as well because he is grounded and relatable. Can't relate to being an uber-rich guy, but he could exist in the real world. Since super powers don't really exist I've always had a hard time relating to comic book characters with super powers.

I don't agree with Rusty's opinion at all. I thought it was a great portrayal of the character. Kind of returns him to the detective part of the character. And my wife is not a fan of the superhero genre and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to more from this universe with the upcoming tv show and sequel.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

On 8/30/2022 at 7:18 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

I don't agree with Rusty's opinion at all. I thought it was a great portrayal of the character. Kind of returns him to the detective part of the character. And my wife is not a fan of the superhero genre and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to more from this universe with the upcoming tv show and sequel.

I've heard far more positive reviews of the Batman than negative, from my friends that are into these films. I haven't seen it yet.

As for the build - I've just returned to night shift and will be until January. We shift every four months. As soon as I'm acclimated to the new schedule, I'll feel more like spending time at the bench. More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

As an aside, I thought the new Batman movie was great. Not as good as the Christian Bale Batman movies though.

I hated the Michael Keaton/Val Kilmer/George Clooney Batmen flicks. They just got campier and cheesier over time.

This Batmobile is a prime example of the cartoon-ish nature of these films. So I'm glad to see this build, and what toning it down a little will do. :)

One issue with this kit is the level difference between the "hood" and the nose. It's even visible on the box cover art. Not acceptable for this one. After a bit of sanding and grinding, I've got it sitting flush.

Just a bit of work left on the center fin delete option. It's close. 

20220905_145926.jpg

20220905_145059.jpg

20220905_145044.jpg

20220905_145053.jpg

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 1

One other major alteration I'm kicking around, is the front ram. This batmobile always looked a bit too vulnerable in the nose area. While researching design changes for this kit I came across this image from an animated series' concept art.

One detail that has shown up many times on comic book batmobiles in the 60 years of Batman, is the front ram. As you can see this design already borrows a lot from the Batman Forever batmobile. So I'm planning to add a similarly stylized ram to the front. If I have to knock a bit off the nose to do it, I will. More soon.

Titans' Batmobile Designs Revealed

• Like 3

Absolutely love that animated concept; hadn't seen that before! If you had a cheap plastic boat or ship model, and flipped the hull over and used the inverted bow, it could make a large portion of the ram. Another hood to finish off the top you might consider is the '62 Buick Electra from AMT: nice, flowing, curved "V" stamping in the center would flow well with the batmobile lines.

• Thanks 1