Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grill design requests

On 1/1/2023 at 6:40 PM, Oldmopars said:

I also noted on the basic early grill, that depending on the engine you have, the grill openings are different. I am not sure if this is something that would be offered, or just the most open style. 

image.png.cd406cdf064edf747de27c19c0ef0e25.png

image.png.396762472b43e22ea08895b9abafd150.png

I’m interested in your Ford grills! Looking forward to buy them once you have the time to printed!!

Thanks 🙏🏽 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:50 AM, leafsprings said:

The '64 grill with top panel could be adapted to the '65-'66 Mobius kits. The only '61-'66  Ford truck grill never covered by big plastic.

IMG_0530.JPG

True. The only thing out there is AMT's retooled '63 grill that includes a '1964' for Ford's sales award truck trophies; the six bumper bolts would be wrong for '64 as well.

64frdtrkawd.jpg

Edited by mk11

I am wondering if it would be possible for you to produce a 1966 DODGE Coronet 500 front grille, and rear taillight panel that would fit the Revell 1967 DODGE Coronet R/T kit?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also needed would be the four trim bars located just behind the door on each side of the car:

spacer.png

On 1/28/2023 at 7:02 PM, Bucky said:

I am wondering if it would be possible for you to produce a 1966 DODGE Coronet 500 front grille, and rear taillight panel that would fit the Revell 1967 DODGE Coronet R/T kit?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also needed would be the four trim bars located just behind the door on each side of the car:

spacer.png

Not impossible, but would require me to have a scan of the body to make it fit. Probably the body also. The little trim bars would be easy to design, a slight challenge to print. Well, printing them is not so much the challenge as monkeying around with removing them from the support without breakage. I will have to think through the best way to do it.

8 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Not impossible, but would require me to have a scan of the body to make it fit. Probably the body also. The little trim bars would be easy to design, a slight challenge to print. Well, printing them is not so much the challenge as monkeying around with removing them from the support without breakage. I will have to think through the best way to do it.

To be mentioned I would be the one to scan it, in case people are not aware.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:29 PM, blubaja said:

How about grilles for the ertl tooled scout?

With the issues with Olson Brothers, it would be nice to offer more grill designs for the Ertl/AMT Scout II kits.  The bodies are pretty much identical from 1971 to 1980.  IH did like to change the grills to reflect the various years.

Reworking several of the grills to reduce the crown would be nice.  Grills A and E were offered in the regular Scout II's kits but the rest have been left out.

A = 1977-1979

B = 1980

C = 1973-1974

D = 1975

E = 1976

F = 1971-1972

The other option was the SSII grill which was an ABS plastic overlay for the E, F, and A grills.

The kit is current and I would be happy to supply one for scanning.  Offering the corrected hood (reduced front crown) would be nice too.

1977-79 Scout II SS2 Grill - Also Fits 1972-80 Scout II, Terra, Traveler

Guess What Ride 30: Which Scout II Grilles? | GuysWithRides.com

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PacificEd said:

With the issues with Olson Brothers, it would be nice to offer more grill designs for the Ertl/AMT Scout II kits.  The bodies are pretty much identical from 1971 to 1980.  IH did like to change the grills to reflect the various years.

Reworking several of the grills to reduce the crown would be nice.  Grills A and E were offered in the regular Scout II's kits but the rest have been left out.

A = 1977-1979

B = 1980

C = 1973-1974

D = 1975

E = 1976

F = 1971-1972

The other option was the SSII grill which was an ABS plastic overlay for the E, F, and A grills.

The kit is current and I would be happy to supply one for scanning.  Offering the corrected hood (reduced front crown) would be nice too.

1977-79 Scout II SS2 Grill - Also Fits 1972-80 Scout II, Terra, Traveler

Guess What Ride 30: Which Scout II Grilles? | GuysWithRides.com

I think this would be a great option. I will need to order a kit. It is one I do not currently have, but want anyway.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:19 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

Since someone mentioned the Olsen’s, what about producing the early Bronco items they carried. I believe it was the 1/2 cab, door fillers and the rear cut out flares.

Not sure how much demand there would be for the half cab since Revell now offers it in the kit 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Not sure how much demand there would be for the half cab since Revell now offers it in the kit 

Again, I’m not looking to purchase an entire kit just to get a part or two from it only to create a “stash” of kits that will never be built and go in the trash when I die. The price for and the quality of the parts I’ve purchased from the vendors here have been superior compared to any part that come from a massed produced Chinese kit. 

9 minutes ago, Oldriginal86 said:

Again, I’m not looking to purchase an entire kit just to get a part or two from it only to create a “stash” of kits that will never be built and go in the trash when I die. The price for and the quality of the parts I’ve purchased from the vendors here have been superior compared to any part that come from a massed produced Chinese kit. 

All I'm saying is that the market for someone to sell this is now smaller than it was when Olsen Bros released their 1/2 top years ago. Now that Revell offers that piece in their own kit there are fewer buys that would want one by itself from an aftermarket supplier. Just because you want one doesn't mean that it's worth their time, effort and materials to produce one when the kit is readily available.

Seeing the two "new" AMT 90's Chevy pickup kits coming, wonder if anyone else would be in for a work truck/base model grille for them? Once upon a time Jim Amato at Uptown Automotive cast a 3500HD conversion that had the base grille. He sold the masters to Jeff Ballard at MCRC and it's been documented here that Jeff is way behind in orders so with these kits coming out, great opportunity to bring the grille back, maybe even the conversion kit.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:14 AM, olmadmodeler said:

Wish someone would make some custom grills for 70s vans like the van Trek grill.

ebay212369.jpeg

I'd be up for doing those, but the 70's Dodge van is no longer available. I have 1 body that I had to trade for, just the body, not a full kit. I plan to use the new Dodge van kit to make it. 

So, unless there was an interest in doing 80's Dodge van grills, I doubt I could sell more than 3 or 4. 

The Chevy van is a current van kit that is a 70's van that would be from the correct era. "Vanning" kind of started to die in the 80's. You don't see as many 80's vans done up like you did the 70's vans.

The Ford is possible. It is a shorty van and would have been from the 70's, a custom grill would be possible. 

I guess I would need feed back on what the demand would be. 

On 2/7/2023 at 3:46 PM, stavanzer said:

I have 4 Scout Kits. I'd easily be in for a couple new grilles. Number "C" is my favorite.

I did not want to have anyone send me a kit. It puts pressure on me to be sure to return it and with my schedule always being gone when the post office is open makes it hard. So, I just ordered a Scout kit. It arrived and I plan to work on both the grills and the hood.  I agree, the kit parts belong in the garbage can.

I think the big challenge will be getting the hood to print and not warp. Luckily I do design work, not the printing. I know Charles is the expert in this area and will find a way to make it happen.

I have a Hickey hood for the Chevy/GMC trucks all ready to go. However every time I tried to print it, I ended up with a Hickey styled Potato Chip. I gave up. 

image.png.0cef183a4487e81117298027678c11a5.png