Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming AMT '66 Chevelle SS Bumper question

Just saw the new box art for the upcoming AMT re-release of the 66 Chevelle SS. I suspect this is the old Lindberg kit, however, it shows the standard bumper (no guards). Does anybody know if this release will in fact have the standard bumpers? Not a fan of the Lindberg kit bumpers with guards.

s-l500.jpg

Interesting since I would like to build such a model. I don't think that AMT offered a '66 Chevelle Hardtop. This would leave me to believe this maybe the Lindburg kit being reissued. Like you I'm not a fan of the bumper guards either. Coming from Round 2 they may have removed them from the molds. The old Lindburg kit had the best-looking simulated mag wheel hub caps. Another thought, even if they have the bumper guards, would you be able to use bumpers and other trim from the Revell '66 Chevelle wagon and El Camino? 

38 minutes ago, espo said:

Interesting since I would like to build such a model. I don't think that AMT offered a '66 Chevelle Hardtop. This would leave me to believe this maybe the Lindburg kit being reissued. Like you I'm not a fan of the bumper guards either. Coming from Round 2 they may have removed them from the molds. The old Lindburg kit had the best-looking simulated mag wheel hub caps. Another thought, even if they have the bumper guards, would you be able to use bumpers and other trim from the Revell '66 Chevelle wagon and El Camino? 

25 minutes ago, Mark said:

The preliminary box art sometimes doesn't catch all of the details.  I'd suspect the reissue will still have the molded-in bumper guards, and the box art of the actual kit will reflect that.

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Just a rebox of the Lindberg tooling.  Can’t imagine anything has changed as far as the tooling. 

As I suspected. Good question regarding el camino bumpers, David. I have one, so will have to check it out. Thanks, guys!

1 minute ago, Watertown said:

As I suspected. Good question regarding el camino bumpers, David. I have one, so will have to check it out. Thanks, guys!

Since you have an El Camino kit you might want to check the hood and grill as well in case you ever want to build a Malibu instead of an SS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, espo said:

The old Lindburg kit had the best-looking simulated mag wheel hub caps. 

To me, the Revell '65 Chevelle has the best looking wheel covers. 

I built the Lindberg '66 a long time ago. Even then, it just didn't look right to me. Especially the rear of the quarters and the tail panel. There were several things I didn't like about then. I would probably find more that I wouldn't like now. 

4 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The Revell 66 parts don't fit the Lindberg 66. I don't know if the Lindberg is under scale or the Revell is over scale but the Revell parts are significantly bigger than the Lindberg kit.

Good to know, thank you.