Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another kind of Leach Garbage truck

Many moons ago my late friend George was commissioned to do refuse trucks. I would do the rough in construction and he did the detailing and finishing. So long ago that the cab was a Jim Etter casting, Packer was styrene sheet bought in bulk from a distributor. Using factory specks and pictures we built this:

img496.jpg.ad55bcb01248a67967df1893f25e7cf2.jpg

img497.jpg.4602b7068e4f505242c57bea08a7e87a.jpg

Arms were home-made but the dumpster arms were Etter castings

img498.jpg.1960a16e67a5b1f174db73a9f05cfacd.jpg

img499.jpg.7b6561798508f55c43410e67d117a602.jpg

greg

• Like 2

Recognized that build right off, but had to go digging through my old Owner Operator magazines to find it:  No doubt your friend George was disappointed to come in second to me in Lou Kroack's July 1982 Tabletop Truckarama contest, to my '62 Peterbilt well driller. Knowing my own build quality at the time, if Kroack could have seen both of our models in person at the same time, George would have gotten 1st place. Yeah, I put a lot of effort into mine, but it could have been done much better. One of these days I might rebuild mine better, but additional time will have to fall out of the sky first.

808591155_welldrillergarbagetruck.jpg.824d4faacf881b3ca60394d5d13671e4.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 2:21 AM, Russell C said:

Recognized that build right off, but had to go digging through my old Owner Operator magazines to find it:  No doubt your friend George was disappointed to come in second to me in Lou Kroack's July 1982 Tabletop Truckarama contest, to my '62 Peterbilt well driller. Knowing my own build quality at the time, if Kroack could have seen both of our models in person at the same time, George would have gotten 1st place. Yeah, I put a lot of effort into mine, but it could have been done much better. One of these days I might rebuild mine better, but additional time will have to fall out of the sky first.

Well Lou Kroack did see the model itself as he lived near us in Transfer, PA. He was a member of the GLMFAA club group, A long time Toldeo Toy Show vendor and was visited by us many a time. Your truck is a winner in my eyes.  Thanks for the article. It is interesting you did a well driller. In our area Mike Savage was the master in modeling drilling rigs. He lived in the area also and knew Lou. Another modeling friend of mine and I have the privilege of owning several models that are pictured in Lou's book.

greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...