Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevy Monte Carlo

ModelcarJR

My new WIP is this AMT kit molded in beautiful green plastic! So the hood looked like it was a little warped so I tried to tweak it a little - then snap! So a couple of hours later I had it glued back together, puttied and sanded out.  Looks pretty good but it doesn't sit any better. It gave me something to work on as a storm rolled in. So tomorrow I'll try to get some paint on it once it dries up. Planning on painting it Tamiya Dark Green. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ModelcarJR said:

My new WIP is this AMT kit molded in beautiful green plastic! So the hood looked like it was a little warped so I tried to tweak it a little - then snap! So a couple of hours later I had it glued back together, puttied and sanded out.  Looks pretty good but it doesn't sit any better. It gave me something to work on as a storm rolled in. So tomorrow I'll try to get some paint on it once it dries up. Planning on painting it Tamiya Dark Green. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

I like it already John😂😂

Thanks, Mike, Carl and David1  I appreciate your comments! 

Today I painted all the parts, including the body. I also foiled the tiny Monte Carlo scripts and was pretty successful in revealing the foil beneath the paint. But the color looked much darker outside and the can top is a very dark green, almost black. But in my mag light it looks pea green. I had to change the color of the interior pieces to match as the Hunter Green won't work.  But the finish is nice and with two coats of paint and two coats of clear so I am going with it.  I'll rub it out in the morning. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

• Like 4

Thanks, Carl! Its starting to grow on me!

Rubbed out the body today and I have a couple of edges to touch-up but its coming along. Added the first pieces of foil so that process has started. The color kinda looks like the dull colors of today's automobiles. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

• Like 3

Thanks, Dan! 

I finished the foil, painted the inner fenders and cowl. I painted aluminum on top of the cowl and foiled the edge and wipers. Touched up the two fender edges. I've also posted photos of the basic interior. Re-painted the interior with Krylon Italian Olive which is a little lighter than the Tamiya Dark Green. Painted the dash and floor with the Dark Green.  Oops, the console is in the wrong position but you get the idea. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 3

Thanks, Carl, Dan, and Bill! I appreciate your comments!

Well, I've built this one before but don't remember having this much trouble with it.  I wanted to change out the tires but the B F Goodrich tires were too small for it. I ended up using the kit tires and added some decal whitewalls from the stash.  Also the frame doesn't really match up with the body and some clamp work was necessary.  There should be a law against having to use this much force to assemble a model. I also thought the too thick glass surround on the cowl was giving me a problem with the dash so I tried to eliminate the extra clear plastic. Unfortunately, I cracked the windshield. I have another kit of this one and thought about using the glass but that would just ruin another kit so I left the cracked windshield as is. I guess I will have to call Safelite.

Even after clamping, the front end sat too high for me so I repositioned the axle pins on the kingpins. I did manage to avoid one issue by mounting the bottom of the fan shroud after the body was glued on. That way I didn't knock off the fan assembly.  I guess it doesn't look too bad on wheels if you ignore the cracked windshield. Here are some pics of the whole sordid mess. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by ModelcarJR
remove duplicate photo
  • Like 5

Thanks, Carl!  I am just going to finish this one as is once I get over this cold.  Haven't been feeling like doing anything for the last 4 days so maybe I'll get back to it in the next few days. But it will just be a shelf sitter since I don't like the color and with the broken windshield it will not make it to a contest table.  Thanks again for your offer. 

4 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, Carl!  I am just going to finish this one as is once I get over this cold.  Haven't been feeling like doing anything for the last 4 days so maybe I'll get back to it in the next few days. But it will just be a shelf sitter since I don't like the color and with the broken windshield it will not make it to a contest table.  Thanks again for your offer. 

I thought something might be wrong I have not seen you on. Get better soon buddy!

I have built at least a dozen of these Monte Carlo kits since they came out in 1998. I understand you clamping issue.🧐 The main culprit is the firewall. It has to be installed just right, otherwise it creates a seesaw affect with the chassis and floor assembly. I love the color combination you picked. And the whitewalls suit those cars quite well! Can’t wait to see it done! 😁👍

I'm on the mend and finished the engine bay.  In addition I am painting some bodies as the weather here is very nice at the moment. I painted the 69 Olds W-30 Dupli-Color bright red and the 57 Chevy Sedan is Testors Diamond Dust and Dupli-Color Ebony Black. I wanted to do an unconventional two-tone on the 57 and have used this color combination on a 55 Chevy as well. You may notice in the last photo that I forgot about the mold lines on the B pillars and obviously didn't see it. I am going to choose to ignore it as I am out of paint now. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyK766DkBFClUVlGbiyX6R_4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1664384418

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwh1DzCAZIn0DmPeaRYjEs6rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1664384413

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwz8GTRmjbgIIm012psCvqQ5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1664384413

• Like 1