Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 34 Ford Ratty Pickup

This is the only car model I managed to finish in 2008 due to other priorities around the house, and a few other model projects. This one is a restarted model I originally built in the early 1960's. It's a real mongrel with parts from a lot of different kits, and a couple of items from the KITCHEN (but NO sink!). Starting the re-build on it last year, I scratch built the frame, firewall, floor, and the headers. The track nose is in fact, the grille shell from the original issue of the AlaKart, which I've modified quite a bit and flipped upside down from the original position. The engine is out of the AMT 58 Chevy, the front axle and wheels are from the AMT 40 Ford, as is the dash. The shifter and hand brake lever are from the 34 pickup kit, as are the cab (which I angle chopped in those olden days of the early 60's) and the pickup box and tailgate. Underneath, the rear suspension is an early Ford style with a quickchange center, and quarter elliptic springs. The taillights were spotlights from my parts bin, and the headlights were made from parts bin frames and the headlight buckets are modified corn holders out of the kitchen drawer. The gas tank was cut out of an AMT 49 Ford frame, and lastly, the seat is a modified bench from the AMT 55 Nomad. I also have a lot of WIP pictures for anyone interested in some "before" pictures. Gary

finalc.jpg

finalf.jpg

finalab.jpg

....I also have a lot of WIP pictures for anyone interested in some "before" pictures. Gary

:lol: Nice pickem up, Gary, real nice.

I aint sure....

....but I don't think newbies are allowed to post up such awesome lookin' builds this early on :lol::PB) .

any chance we can see some of yer WIP pix? love to see that scratchbuilt frame :lol:;)

This has to be one of the neatest '34 PU builds I've ever seen. The parts selection is excellent and the proportions are spot-on! I don't know if I'd catagorize this truck as a rat-rod. It would be right at home in the whole Kulture community but at the same time looks more mature as it isn't clad with all the usual rat-rod B.S. like skulls and iron crosses and ###### for the sake of ######.

The track nose is my favorite part - the shape is perfect.

Please show some shots of the chassis!

Hey thanks for all the positive comments. That's what gives us all the push we need to keep going and build more and better models. Right now I'll throw in several more pictures from when I was just starting the frame, and a first mockup for proportions. Im also showing the sketch I did before I cut any plastic. I kept the stock wheelbase but the cab has been moved a bit to the rear to give the 348 some room at the firewall. I axed the ladderbars in favor of the quarter elliptic springs. Gary

pickupbeforeafter.jpg

firstframe.jpg

8-24c.jpg

Very nice work and a great looking ride.

Beautifully simple and clean construction on the floor, firewall and transmission tunnel! How do you fab your tunnels, or do you cut them from existing kit floorpans?

If I remember from some posts elsewhere, you cut your rails from styrene sheet. Do I remember correctly. If so, what do you use, what thickness and how do you cut and trim it, etc. I'm planning on designing some rails for projects like this. I've never been a fan of the z'd front of the frame and really like the curved upward slope of your rails.

Thanx.

Edited by gbk1

Hey thanks for all the positive comments. That's what gives us all the push we need to keep going and build more and better models...

:P That's what this here forum is all about, Gary, and thank you for the WIP pix! :oAwesome work!

Now we can "build more and better models" too! :D

Very nice work and a great looking ride.

Beautifully simple and clean construction on the floor, firewall and transmission tunnel! How do you fab your tunnels, or do you cut them from existing kit floorpans?

If I remember from some posts elsewhere, you cut your rails from styrene sheet. Do I remember correctly. If so, what do you use, what thickness and how do you cut and trim it, etc. I'm planning on designing some rails for projects like this. I've never been a fan of the z'd front of the frame and really like the curved upward slope of your rails.

Thanx.

Yeah, you saw this on another forum last summer. For the framerails, I sandwiched 3 pieces of .040 Evergreen sheet together in a slab about 1" wide by 6" long. I made a full size copy of my new frame drawing, cut it out, laid it over the slab, and traced it onto the slab (in both directions-for both rails!). Then it was just use whatever I had to use to rough cut out each rail. I used spring clamps and spring clothespins etc. to hold the pieces together in a machinists vise while I cut them out. Still using the vise, I filed the rails side by side until they matched the drawing. I had also drawn an upper view using the inside width of the cab and box as the outside width at the rear and the stock width at the front. I carefully bent each rail as required, to match my drawing. The crossmembers were made using the Evergreen too. This particular transmission hump was cut out of the floor of the AMT 55 Nomad for no particular reason other than that I've been cannibalizing this kit anyway. Gary

• 7 years later...