Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Boot Hill Express - Halloween themed group build

Nacho Z

I participated in a FB group Halloween themed build.  I had several models in my stash that would fit the bill.  I posted 4 choices and let my friends pick which model I would build.  The overwhelming choice was the Boot Hill Express.  I had one month in which to build it.  The rules stated the kit must not be started which mine wasn't.

Please take a moment to look at the build thread here:

It will answer questions about the stacks and paint choice and color.  I'm happy to answer any questions about the build that you may have.  Thanks for looking and Happy Halloween!

20221029 135306

20221029 135108

20221029 135622

20221029 135656

20221029 135422

20221029 134356

20221029 135408

• Like 7

On 10/30/2022 at 7:57 AM, KWT said:

Very nicely done

On 10/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, 70 Sting said:

Very clean build. Excellent work on the wood textures.👌

On 10/30/2022 at 10:03 AM, bbowser said:

Not a fan of show rods but that is one clean build, great job!

On 10/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, Joe Nunes said:

Have not been a fan of this particular model over the years, however,...you just might have changed my outlook.  Great modeling!  👍

Joe

On 10/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, Spex84 said:

I think this is one of my favorite builds of this kit! You nailed the appearance of heavily lacquered wood;that dose of realism helps to temper the cartoony proportions and set it apart from other renditions. Nice photography too :D

On 10/30/2022 at 12:03 PM, thatz4u said:

I Dig this build.....

On 10/30/2022 at 12:54 PM, espo said:

Beautiful looking finishes. Did these rear wheels and tires come in the kit? 

Hi David, thanks!  The rear wheels and tires are Z-Man items that I've had stashed away for awhile.

21 hours ago, slusher said:

Outstanding build!  

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who popped in and took a look at my attempt at the Boot Hill Express.  Another thank you to those who took the time to comment.  I really do appreciate it!  There are a couple of mistakes and a whole lot of things that could have been done better but I only had one month to build it.  When a mini-vacation and beautiful Fall weather are factored in I really didn't have near as much time to work on it as I had planned.

8 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Fantastic Build!

Those Front Wheels and Tires are not in the kit. (I just checked mine) Where did you find those? They are awesome! (as is the rest of the kit)

Hi Alan, did you mean to say the rear wheels and tires?  The fronts are kit parts but the rears are from Z-Man. I just didn’t like the kit supplied ones.

3 hours ago, drifterdon said:

One of the best jobs I've seen on this particular kit.   Total stunner.   You captured the look of the real show rod.   

Thank you, Don!

53 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Wow, my kit fronts do not look like that....

Your's sure look better.

I’ll be darned.  I honestly don’t know much about this kit’s history but if it helps, mine is the 1994 issue. On my WIP thread I posted a picture of the kit contents. My wheels were chromed which was not correct.  I stripped them and shot them in AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Magnesium, (I believe).  Let me try to post that pic again.

image.jpeg.00a7600a75f1fff7e33844d1257501b3.jpeg

On 11/1/2022 at 6:38 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That looks excellent!

On 11/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, TooOld said:

One of the nicest builds I've ever seen of the Boot Hill Express , for a one month build you did a superb job !

BTW - those fronts are the same since the very first issue . 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:56 PM, PappyD340 said:

Super nice build one of my all time favorite kits!!

On 11/3/2022 at 11:37 PM, Deathgoblin said:

Gorgeous job!  Very nice!  :)

Once again let me say thank you to you guys for all of the nice comments!  I certainly do appreciate them and they always put a smile on my face!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 12:31 AM, Dave Armstrong said:

Really nice build of this kit!

Rear wheels and tires- Z-Man? Who Dat? You? Are they resin?

Hi Dave, thanks!  Z-Man is Steve Zimmerman.  He is known for his tires and wheels.  Actually, I think that is all he sells.  Anyhow, he is at a lot of the shows I go to and when I saw these outrageously fat tires I just had to buy them.  To the best of my knowledge, and somebody please correct me if I am wrong, Z only sells on FB.  His stuff is gorgeous!  Yes, I believe my particular set of tires and wheels are resin.