Model Cars Magazine Forum

My new 1:1 project. Its a 1969 Corolla.

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Cool car........! I wonder how a hot Celica engine would fit?

;)

I do have some 1st gen Celica engines kicking around but I think a 4AGE would be at home in this car. I want to get the stock 1969 Corolla experience at first but it will be getting big upgrades. It has a 60hp 1.1 so I think that might get old fast.

4 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

AWESOME! Thanks for rescuing that bad boy! It's too bad that those earlier Japanese vehicles were prone to rust, even in relatively mild climates. 

For some reason, I can picture Philadelphia "Phil" Collins attempting to drive one of those to a fishing spot.

I can't imagine phil getting into this car, its even smaller then it looks! The floors, rockers and a bunch of other spots are rusted out but it could be a lot worse. 

• Like 1

Looks like you got a good project there Adam. 

At least no one's trying to beat you down like they did me last time I posted pics of a car I was thinking about, which was in about the same condition as yours. 

I got fed up and had the mods delete the whole thread. 😔

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Looks like you got a good project there Adam. 

At least no one's trying to beat you down like they did me last time I posted pics of a car I was thinking about, which was in about the same condition as yours. 

I got fed up and had the mods delete the whole thread. 😔

I'm don't care to much about anything negative anyone has to say about this car, I bought it for me. Most people seem to like it though even though its pretty rough. Its certainly not a car you see anymore.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

COOL project!!!!!! My very first car was a Datsun PL411 4 door sedan. It was tough as heck car!!!!! Ugly as sin......

My son builds Toyota Camry and others at the Toyota Lexington KY factory.....they so good work! 

not mine but exact same

spacer.png

That is super cool! I'm a diehard Toyota fan, this is the third one I own now. I actually saw a Datsun just like that but white last summer, I don't recall ever seeing one in person before that.

40 minutes ago, Adam deCoste said:

That is super cool! I'm a diehard Toyota fan, this is the third one I own now. I actually saw a Datsun just like that but white last summer, I don't recall ever seeing one in person before that.

Thanks.....we lived in So Cal all of the 1960's and I think Datsun was pretty much on West coast at the timr.  I'd love to find one. It was a mini Ford Falcon......same type suspension, a mini 9" rear......it looked like Datsun just shrank one down!!!

Keep us posted!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Back in the 80's, one of my older cousins offered me a Corolla, exactly like this one! But my Dad said no, and that was probably a good thing, as I wanted to Hot Rod everything I got my hands on up to that time. LOL! 

Great save! 

You probably wouldn't get into much trouble with the 60hp 1.1 haha. I do want to leave this car stock for a little while anyways to get the real 69 Corolla experience but more then likely its getting a engine swap.  

• Like 1

I had a Corolla like that for a day or two!   Back in 1979 my first apartment was the former maids quarters in a gentleman’s farm. A rusty yellow 4 door was sitting next to the barn. Landlord told me a former tenant left it sitting there when it quit. He told me I could have it since he hadn’t got around to having it towed away.

Two days later I had it running and driving around the farm!   I came home one night and it was gone! Turns out that landlord sold it to the mailman!   No integrity there!

I've got to wonder how that car survived sitting in the dirt like that.

I learned to drive in a '70 Corolla Sprinter.  One thing I remember was how thin the sheetmetal was.  And if you think that little sedan is slow, the one I drove had a 2-speed automatic transmission.  The only pic I have from back then was taken during a blizzard back in '71.

Bonus pic....my buddy's Celica that he owned years ago.   Believe it or not, according to the VIN, it was Celica #23  

20120217203014_01.jpg

Pauls Celica number 23.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, pack rat said:

I've got to wonder how that car survived sitting in the dirt like that.

I learned to drive in a '70 Corolla Sprinter.  One thing I remember was how thin the sheetmetal was.  And if you think that little sedan is slow, the one I drove had a 2-speed automatic transmission.  The only pic I have from back then was taken during a blizzard back in '71.

Bonus pic....my buddy's Celica that he owned years ago.   Believe it or not, according to the VIN, it was Celica #23  

20120217203014_01.jpg

Pauls Celica number 23.jpg

That is super cool!! The bottom of my car does have its fair share of rot though from sitting in that yard. I actually also have a Celica like your friends, mine is a 76 though, a bit newer. 

292110684_1311483636052773_2371485915847025880_n.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adam deCoste said:

more then likely its getting a engine swap

Can you still get 2TGs? A friend had a modded 77 Corolla SR-5 that we (him, his brother, and I) swapped the 2TC for a 2TG in the early 1980s. Was still really slow, but really a hoot to autocross. You know, driving the slow car fast thing. Watching your lines and braking so you don't lose momentum.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Adam deCoste said:

You probably wouldn't get into much trouble with the 60hp 1.1 haha. I do want to leave this car stock for a little while anyways to get the real 69 Corolla experience but more then likely its getting a engine swap.  

Well, my diabolical little mind had an 18RG in mind at the time. Only $250 at the local engine importer! LOL! Big money for a Dish Washing kid! 

TRD Toyota 18RG JDM Engine Celica GT Corolla RA21 2TG on PopScreen

Edited by Daddyfink
  • Like 1